Easy Come, Easy Go

Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
bajo
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by bajo »

I have actually had the same experience with more of Elvis' movies, after I started collecting them on DVD. I have a six year old son who has already become an Elvis fan. And he asks me to sit down an watch them with him. Since we live in Norway I have to translate and explain to him what's going on.
And I must admit I enjoy the movies more now, than I ever did. I don't know why. Maybe it's the pure, innocent fun of it.
My son loves them, and I can't help but joining in!
And for the most part, Elvis looks good in them!
Easy Come, Easy Go may not have the best soundtrack recorded by Elvis, but the story in the movie isn't that bad. It's pure fun to watch!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Rob

Re: Easy Come, Easy Go

Post by Rob »

Lonely Summer wrote:Watched this one last night for the first time in several years. Generally considered to be one of Elvis' worst films.
Don't take them too seriously and enjoy them for what they are and they are not so bad. Afterall, there are worse things to watch than Easy Come, Easy Go.

I'll think of something and get back with you.

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

Rob wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Watched this one last night for the first time in several years. Generally considered to be one of Elvis' worst films.
Don't take them too seriously and enjoy them for what they are and they are not so bad. Afterall, there are worse things to watch than Easy Come, Easy Go.

I'll think of something and get back with you.
beach blanket bingo? santa claus conquers the martians? films directed by ed wood? eegah? go, johnny, go? conan the barbarian? american pie? dude, where's my car? today's current pluckings of barfworthy crap? any crap that could be a cousin of those above mentioned flicks?

...by the way, i thank my good friend justin (who him and his dad have a hobby of buying each other the worst movies they can find) for showing me the classic that is EEGAH! can i have that 1 1/2 hours added back to my life now?

really, elvis movies aren't one of a kind badness. in fact, next to any film i've yet to see at justin's, easy come, easy go looks like an oscar winner.

and i consider it to be one of the funniest elvis films ever. stay away, joe is one of those other elvis films that are this kind of funny. and nothing kills me more than the go-go mobile, and the utter sillyness of the counterculture "happenings" nonsense. it's hysterical.

frankly, this is to me one of elvis' funniest films. and jo, the girl in this, was actually one of the more fun and prettier elvis film girls.

the songs in the film are actually decent. yoga is as yoga does is of course the stinker, but watching elvis roll around on the floor, is worth the price of admission alone. the other songs are actually great to my ears, and i admit to liking them quite a bit. "you gotta stop" is very nearly a decent rocker. and "sing you children" is a fun little gospel/diversionary tactic tune.

still, this era of elvis movies succeeded in the only thing they were meant for...to be fun escapism.

easy come, easy go isn't half as bad as its reputation.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

To be frank, it's crap. I was watching the 68 special 6pm sit-down show on DVD some time back and by pure coincidence came across Easy Come, Easy Go on cable afterwards. The contract between the motivated, raw and inspired Elvis of June 68 and the awkward, embarrassed and uninspired Elvis of the close of that movie was startling. It was literally like watching a different man. Depressing to think he allowed what could have been the peak years to be wasted on such nonsense.

Rob

Post by Rob »

TJ wrote:I was watching the 68 special 6pm sit-down show on DVD some time back and by pure coincidence came across Easy Come, Easy Go on cable afterwards.
That's definitely the wrong thing to try to watch after the Comeback Special.

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

I would have put on TTWII SE 8) 8)

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

TJ

Post by TJ »

Rob wrote:
TJ wrote:I was watching the 68 special 6pm sit-down show on DVD some time back and by pure coincidence came across Easy Come, Easy Go on cable afterwards.
True enough, but it wasn't planned :) But I think that movie is the wrong thing to try to watch at any time. It competes with PHS as his most inane film.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

TJ wrote:
Rob wrote:
True enough, but it wasn't planned :) But I think that movie is the wrong thing to try to watch at any time. It competes with PHS as his most inane film.
T.J. -
Wouldn't Harem Scarum be more deserving of that dubious distinction? After all Easy Come, Easy Go does have a couple of redeeming qualities (when Pat Priest is in a bikini).

Rob

Post by Rob »

Pete Dube wrote:After all Easy Come, Easy Go does have a couple of redeeming qualities (when Pat Priest is in a bikini).
True enough, but if you're watching Elvis' films for the eye candy, you can pretty much take your pick, can you not?

I mean, there was Nancy, Shelly, Jocelyn, Delores, Ann and this little beauty.....

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

Rob wrote:I mean, there was Nancy, Shelly, Jocelyn, Delores, Ann and this little beauty.....
Aah yes.......... the infamous nude scene at the lake, cut from the final print of Fun In Acapulco.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

TJ

Post by TJ »

Pete Dube wrote:
TJ wrote:
Rob wrote:
T.J. -
Wouldn't Harem Scarum be more deserving of that dubious distinction? After all Easy Come, Easy Go does have a couple of redeeming qualities (when Pat Priest is in a bikini).
It's right up there too Pete. But I understand your reasoning. I mean I don't get bored watching Tickle Me :wink:

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

One thing I wonder about Easy Come, Easy Go: Why no requisite ballad? If memory serves this is the only film without a ballad performance.

James77
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by James77 »

Lonely Summer wrote:Watched this one last night for the first time in several years. Generally considered to be one of Elvis' worst films, but I found myself enjoying it for the most part.
I finally watched this one on dvd, and had the same experience. In a way, Elvis movies remind me of Bond movies. You have a handful that everyone points to as classics, and the rest really depend on which aspects of the formula you enjoy.

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

Hal Wallis used the same backdrop for "(There's) No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car" in Fun In Acapulco as the one in Easy Come, Easy Go where they're all driving down the coast road in that go - go mobile (or whatever - in - the - hell they called it). This was evident when one has both the dvd's ie . . such clear clarity!

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I'm with TJ. It's very slow. And for my ultimate litmus test, Elvis does not seem to be enjoying himself. There's something very perfunctory about the movie and the soundtrack is one of the weakest from any Elvis movie. The recording quality itself is a real problem. As one reviewer said Elvis sounds like he recorded his songs over the telephone. There is some cool novelty interest in Pat Priest, future sitcom star Pat Harrington, Jimmy Cagney's sidekick Frank McHugh and the fact that Elvis' backup band also played the house band on an episode of Batman.

I agree about the subjective nature. I have a fondness for Speedway because I like a few of the songs, the iconic meeting of Elvis and Nancy Sinatra, and some of the sitcom heavy cast of character actors like Bixby, Gale Gordon and William Schallert. And again it's all subjective but Elvis seems to be having more fun here and has some chemistry with Bixby.

I wouldn't place Harum Scarum at the bottom because it's a change of pace, Elvis looks incredibly good in the Arabian outfits and because it contains the beautiful "So Close Yet So Far".

I wouldn't classify Easy Come Easy Go as better than Go Johnny Go because the latter film contains some towering musical performances particularly Jackie Wilson cutting through "You Better Know it". While it is certainly dramatically deficient, there's nothing in Easy Come Easy Go that matches that music.

To me Beach Blanket Bingo and some of the other beach movies are better than the lesser Elvis movies mostly because the people making them seem to be having a good time. William Asher, the writer-director of the Beach movies, wasn't slumming as many Elvis directors were. These were what he did. He wasn't a great artist but his movies did have some wit and vitality and some first rate music from the likes of Stevie Wonder, the Kingsmen, Dick Dale and the Del Tones, James Brown and the underrated Donna Lauren. They're not first rate good movies but they're trashy fun. Elvis' worst movies have a kind of almost painful quality to them. Watching Elvis in PHS I get the impression that he would rather any place else and that's unpleasant for me. Even as a kid, I noticed his eye roll and grimace in "Scratch My Back".

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

likethebike wrote:....Watching Elvis in PHS I get the impression that he would rather any place else and that's unpleasant for me.
Even as a kid, I noticed his eye roll and grimace in "Scratch My Back".
Err........ wasn't that Elvis 'acting' ?

I mean, his character thinks he's going to watch Marianna Hill give a public performance, and she drags him up to reluctantly sing with her !

I reckon Elvis quite enjoyed the experience; I know I would have !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

EASY COME, EASY GO

Post by Christopher Brown »

One of the big problems with Easy Come, Easy Go -- and probably no other Elvis film -- is the lack of seeing Elvis through so much of the movie. All the underwater scenes don't have Elvis, and so you're watching 2, 5, or more minutes from time to time and its a stunt double.

At least in pictures like Fun In Acapulco (a favourite) or G.I. Blues, the doubles are kept to a minimum and generally only for placing the action in a particular location.

I rarely watch this film, as I like neither the film nor the soundtrack. One of the poorest.

Christopher Brown