"Elvis By the Presleys" DVD : A Bad Rap?

Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

"Elvis By the Presleys" DVD : A Bad Rap?

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Ger Rijf wrote:
Dec 22, 2005 5:33 pm Post subject: MISS HIM BADLY...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.. "Just watched Elvis By The Presleys for the first time. It was on Dutch TV. 68 and Aloha tonight as well... An all-Elvis night, so to speak. The last 10 minutes of EBTP was extremely moving and sincere... 47 years of loving the man flashed by in those final minutes... I was in tears. Gawd, how I miss him... :

By most accounts, 2005's "Elvis By the Presleys" documentary broadcast on CBS, accompanyed by a 2-CD rehash (along with some rarities) and a book, seemed to have achieved the commercial goals. But among the hard-core fans at sites like FECC, there was some grumbling, particularly about the main event, the film. In fact, the program was more or less taken as being for the same female fans who apparently are charmed by "Elvis ducks" and other guady Presleyphilia. Off-putting to some resident cynics is surely the emphasis on the personal Elvis and the "family" Elvis.

Some of the criticism is centered on the somewhat controversial role of Priscilla herself, which I share. But also lost has been some of the fine work done in lengthened 273 minute (!) DVD set, not including the bonus disc available from "Target" in the U.S. only.

A drumbeat of negative comments on EBTP may have scared away fans, to the point that I had this for months and never sat down and watched it in full until recently.

The following discussion on another thread in discussed Priscilla's brief portrayal of Elvis as an ultra-traditional husband:

"Keith Richards Jr." wrote:
Axeman wrote:..hey it's not like Elvis had time to become a "sensitive man of the 90's". These were the values that were in place during the time when Elvis grew up, and he was raised on them...
I know, but Priscilla made him look like a retarded caveman. She could've left that part out. I can't see how anyone except 87 year old grandmothers can find "Elvis By The Presleys" worthwhile. I hate exactly everything about it.
This is exhibit "A" of an exagerated reaction to a rather watchable film.I finally watched the complete DVD version (having seen the much shorter TV-version, which was decent, if disappointing) and I have to say EBTP (faults aside, gets a bad rap. The DVD delivers value in ways the broadcast did not.

There is definitely some quality film work in how they weave Elvis' voice (often selected from any number of interviews, often rare) or even actual footage as Priscilla, Jerry, etc. discuss that particular topic. They have top-quality access to real Elvis footage (Aloha, '68, TV shows) and also use an extensive number of Elvis songs that I've never heard incorporated into a documentary. They don't just break out the obvious hits.

It's clearly geared more towards "the personal side" of Elvis (probaby more for a female audience) but I have to say most of you will find it worthwhile. One should assume that fans have already sought out DVD's that strictly cover his music. But even here, the music keeps coming with the pacing generally rapid without being grating. There can be an over-reliance on the same "talking heads" (Priscilla, her parents, Lisa, Jerry and Patsy) but then overall, it's a pretty fresh presentation.

Most of us have an interest in his personal life and here it's well- covered, often brilliantly. They also cover other aspects of his life, including the stage. I really don't have a problem with the concept, the more I think about it, no matter how much Priscilla positions herself almost as Elvis' widow, with nary a word on Linda Thompson or Ginger Alden. But overall, it works, especially by having Lisa Marie on board.

Even Elvis photophile Ger Rijff raved about the moving ending of it recently (shown above) ,which takes the approach of "This is Elvis" with the use of "My Way" and probably out does it. I don't usually cry but some of you will also be reaching for your hankies as well.

I'm as hard on Priscilla as anyone (I find her hard to stomach sometimes) but we have to give credit where it's due. There's some quality work done on this that should be credited. I know most of us have things like the DVD of the film "Elvis & June" in our collection, which ultimately ends up looking rather limited because of a low-budget. We "forgive" these shows for their faults and ought to for this one, too.
This has some prime material on it as time and money was clearly spent the production. (The credits follow below.)

It's not great, but it's pretty good and worth getting at least on sale as I did.

Here's EPE's official write-up (edited)
Elvis By The Presleys DVD (2005)

The public Elvis is well known, but the private Elvis remains a mystery. 'Elvis By The Presley's' 2-DVD set will change that. Fans are granted an unprecedented understanding of the Presley family, with unhindered access into the archives of the Elvis Presley estate, coupled with extensive new interviews with both Priscilla and Lisa Marie plus rare performance footage of the King at his best. Over four and a half hours of footage make the DVD 'Elvis By The Presley's' arguably the most revealing and poignant video portrait we will ever see of the artist as husband, father and friend.

The program grants access to his life like a glimpse into a family album, beginning with Elvis: Meets Priscilla a chance for Priscilla to recall her story of meeting Elvis in Germany. Beautifully restored audio of Elvis speaking is inter-cut with Priscilla as they chronicle their lives together for the first time.

Early care free days at Graceland and In Los Angeles are painted with fantastic home movies.

This revealing footage shows Elvis as a playful family man, building snow men, snowmobiling, riding horses, swimming, water skiing and hamming it up for the camera. These were perhaps the happiest times for all.

As the documentary turns a corner, Priscilla reveals the realities of a Hollywood relationship and her efforts to win over Elvis completely, sacrificing her own ambitions and desires for the security of their relationship. In rare interviews, Elvis talks candidly about women and dating and the pressure he felt to remain single for his public image. As we watch Lisa Marie grow, she shares more and more of her earliest memories of life at Graceland as a kid; the big southern dinners, the menagerie of pets, the wild games, the late nights at the movie theatre, and of course, what it was like having Elvis as a father.

Elvis: After Dark is a deeply moving segment featuring Lisa Marie and Priscilla speaking about Elvis' spiralling drug use and his ultimate death. The story of his demise has never been so poignant and heartbreaking as we heat it told by those who were affected the most.

The final segment Elvis: Forever documents Elvis' legacy as it continues to grow and in the wake of his passing other Presley's have stepped up to the plate, proudly carrying on his name and keeping his voice in the public ear. Elvis' daughter and grandchildren would have made him proud and the documentary ends on a high note as we see a great future for Elvis with no end to the success of the Presley's.

Alongside the deluxe DVD documentary are a number of special features, including a photo gallery and two exclusive bonus chapters entitled Elvis: Nixon and Elvis: Karate.
DVD Track Index

Disc 1
1. Elvis: Meets Priscilla
2. Elvis: Introducing Mrs. Presley
3. Elvis: The Inner Child
4. Elvis: The Generous
5. Elvis: The Seeker
6. Elvis: The King
7. Elvis: After Dark

Disc 2
1. Elvis: On Stage
2. Elvis: Style
3. Elvis Taking Care Of Business
4. Elvis: Forever

* Running Time: 270 minutes
* DVD Audio: 2.0 Stereo

Credits:

Original Concept
DAVID SALTZ

Writer
BILL FLANAGAN

Executive Producers
DAVID SALTZ
OSMOND J. KILKENNY

Producer
SCOTT LOCHMUS

Producer
ELISABETH HARRIS

Editors
ALESSANDRA DOBRIN
WYATT SMITH
Coordinating Producer
ANISHA KANSAL

Production Manager
JANET SHAW

DVD Authoring by Post Works New York
Graphics Director: LOUIS LEIBOWITS
Graphics: XOOP, LLC KARTIK MOHAN MAN KIM

DVD Distribution, Packaging and Marketing by
Sony BMG Strategic Marketing Group
Executive Producer: Joseph DiMuro
Project Directors: Iris Maenza and Matt Stringer
Package Art Direction: Erwin Gorostiza
Package Design: Jeffrey Schulz

Related thread:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20083&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

That's a very fine review Greg. However, I had completely the opposite reaction. I enjoyed the broadcast much more than the DVD. I agree very much about the inter-weaving of film and audio along with the original interviews. I also enjoyed the use of off-beat songs to the point I wish they had used the actual soundtrack to the DVD as the soundtrack. However, I found on DVD the interviews were allowed to become incredibly redundant. I haven't few in a months but I remember in nearly all the chapters the same point would be repeated over and over again in almost the same wording. My problem with the DVD isn't so much the insight (I actually found the interviews with Priscilla's parents quite interesting and the Lisa Marie stuff moving) but the entertainment value. I really thought it needed an editor.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I don't know. I guess this DVD / TV special is great if your are a grandmother who doesn't care too much about Elvis The Artist but just adore Elvis The Cute Celebrity. It just doesn't appeal to me. What I want is a DVD in the style of Martin Scorcese's "No Direction Home": a DVD that deals with the man and his music in a serious, intelligent way. The EPE has so much material. They could have done an absolutely mindblowing DVD set. Yet they choose the easy way out, like they always do. Of course "EPTP" has its moments but that is because Elvis was such a talented and fascinating character, not because EPE did a good job. Give me unlimited access to Elvis' music and film material and even I could do a better job.

Perhaps they could hire the BBC to do it! Did anyone watch "Dancing In The Streets"? It was a TV series about the history of popular music. I have watched those first episodes - with interviews with and clips of Elvis, Little Richards, Sam Phillips, Phil Spector, The Ronettes, The Supremes, Wilson Pickett, YOU NAME IT - at least twenty times. Absolutely fantastic! It's just crying out for a DVD release.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I agree that's needed (although Elvis' 56 and Classic Albums: Elvis Presley get kind of at that) but it's not what they were aiming for here.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that this kind of DVD does nothing for me. I'm just not interested. If I were, I guess "EBTP" would have been pretty good. (Greg quoted me in his review, that's why I joined this discussion.)

I also believe that stuff like "EBTP" lessens Elvis' status among music fans.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I'm pretty much with you although I believe the personal is interesting because it does give an indication of some of what went into the music. The thing is that a music first DVD generally sells about 10 copies with the general public but personal tidbits doe beaucoup business.

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Thanks for the feedback, Keith and LTB.

I think I only reacted to the rather extreme points first made by Keith, as when I saw it on TV, I think I joined him on a thread in heavily-criticizing it.

Secondly, I have to admit I watched with..my wife, a growing fan but not a fanatic, who has an interest in the personal dynamics of man, wife and child.

But Keith, I think you have too much of a black and white sense of what brings a fan to an artist. If Elvis had less of his physical and personal charisma, would it still be Elvis? Fans come at him in all directions, but few don't also want to know about him as a person, as such they'd not need to bother reading either Guralnick or Hopkins' bios on the man. We need not be dismissive of fans who also come at him on other levels.

I'd love to see the music-centric DVD you hoped for, but as LTB said, it's not like there isn't some of that out there, never mind 2004's 3-DVD version of '68 Comeback and the 2-DVD "Aloha." I'm still digesting those two mammoth DVD sets.

We knew in advance this was going to be focused on the personal, so it's not truly fair to criticize that.

In terms of image and strategy, I agree that we need to see more focus on his musical genious, but then EBTP was also set up to re-humanize Elvis and largely succeeds.

I agree that more editing might have helped, but like the Passport 8-DVD set, I have all the time in the world and watched it on various nights and sometimes came back much later. WIth EBTP, one can stop at any time. It's not meant to be a tight two-hour thing.

One outgrowth, however, is that Priscilla is able to reposition herself into Elvis' life just a tad too much, and also his cousin Patsy (as "aunthentic" as she comes off) also ends up seeming like she lived in Graceland and was always around him. I know it's been done, but perhaps more outreach to others would have helped, but I know Lisa did not want any of the "Mafia" there.

To me, it's all a piece of the puzzle. There is an inherent quality to the mastering and editing to this that is still-relatively rare in even some of the best (mostly rare or bootleg) documentaries I've acquired recently via swap. It's too easy to snicker at EPE but they do have the "juice" and can wisely edit in anything they want and pack a wallop that others can always do. To here "Wisdom of the Ages" on the spirituality segment was a nice twist and to hear that someone had cataloged various comments in interviews over the years on certain subjects was impressive. In effect, they gave back "voice" to Elvis though such editing.

I agree that the parents are surprisingly effective and capture the affection of the viewer. They look good damned good for folks in what I think is their '80s!

I would hate to see an encore or Vol. 2, though. It is time for another concept.

Just reading 'Bike's article on the '70s Elvis the other day reminds me that music-oriented documentaries with a "point of view" could be written and edited into tidy specials or documentaries. I'd love to see, for example, a show strictly devoted to rehabbing '70s Elvis, not unlike how Ernst did with the '95 "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" box. The show would, of course, feature Ernst, Dave Marsh, and fans / writers like LTB and show him singing songs like "Polk Salad Annie," "Just Pretend," "It's Midnight" or even '77's "Trying to Get to you," while focusing on sessions like Nashville '70, all of it.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

the Saint
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by the Saint »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Yeah, I know. I was just saying that this kind of DVD does nothing for me. I'm just not interested. If I were, I guess "EBTP" would have been pretty good. (Greg quoted me in his review, that's why I joined this discussion.)

I also believe that stuff like "EBTP" lessens Elvis' status among music fans.

Keith Richards, Jr.

EPE deserve a bad rap for the tacky merchandising and misguided money spinning ventures that they put Elvis name to.

With regard to this documentary I think a lot of the critisms were undeserved. EPE produced a moving documentary on Elvis the man and they should be encourage to go one step further and produce more on Elvis the artist.

Elvis By The Presleys wasn't designed to appeal to muso's it was an affectionate portrait of Elvis the man for the general public and more casual fans.

Understanding or having some compassion for the man should help people appreciate the artist more. I don't see for example how anyone can listen to the heart rendering songs of the 70's and not think of Elvis own circumstances at the time.

Documentarys that focus on the music - I'd love to see more of those but I hate it when they only ever cover the 50's. These kind of programs can be very informative but they have a tendency to be impersonal as well - all history lessons and no heart.

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Nice reply, Saint! (And I love your avatar's tribute to a great old show!)

I think a music-focused documentary focused on Elvis' decade of the '60s would be quite a topic, followed up by an all-70s documentary.

But given the divide among some fans, I can see how EPE still thinks the focus has to be on the "icon," the "celebrity," and "the man."As well as "Elvis ducks."

But you are right to note that EBTP was a well-produced film, by and large.

To garner true respect, I will concede to LTB that an editor could have made this a great 120-something minute program rather than 273 minutes.

For the DVD-buyer, however, (think '68 Comeback or "Aloha") more is more.

I really appreciated this response on EBTP to Keith after that same comment:
TJ wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I can't see how anyone except 87 year old grandmothers can find "Elvis By The Presleys" worthwhile. I hate exactly everything about it.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Everything about it? So you hated seeing the home movie footage of Elvis in the absolute best quality ever and some for the first time? You hated the Karate footage, including the unexpected narrated part? You hated the sequences where Lisa spoke about her Dad?

It wasn't perfect, but it had a lot going for it. Put aside some of the Priscilla spin and it was a very worthwhile project. I can put up with that to see so much fabulous candid footage of the man.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by TJ »

Nice review Greg. Really I think that criticising EBTP for focussing too much on his family life at the expense of his music is a bit like criticising Blazing Saddles for relying too much on comedy at the expense of drama. The whole intent of the project was a behind the scenes look at Elvis the family man. We have Elvis 56, the classic album documentary and He Touched Me if we want more focus on the music. There's certainly a case for further documentaries which delve into the music (perhaps a classic album doc for From Elvis in Memphis), but EBTP was never about that. And I know exactly what you mean about being drawn into the emotion of it. I find it pretty tough to watch the part where Lisa asks for the camera to be switched off.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Priscilla bias aside, and various levels of whitewashing (despite the more revealing bits) notwithstanding, I thought that Elvis By The Presleys was and is a stylish and insightful documentary. Never saw the TV version - but you bet your sweet little bippy that I bought the DVD as soon as it came out. There's more - much, much more - to the life and music of Elvis Presley than one documentary/book/film etc can possibly tell, of course, but EPTP is a good piece of the puzzle. Were there things that could have been done better? Yes - a removal of the Priscilla bias and whitewashing for two. The whole production is flawed - no doubt about it. But, if you switch on the right filters in your mind, so to speak, there is much to savour.

I'll give an example. From the way Elvis is talked of and the footage that is presented, you'd gain the impression he was more normal than he was. How many daytime shots do you see? It implies that Elvis lived and operated in the same hours as we all do. Of course, sometimes he did, but we all know that more often than not, Elvis slept in the day and worked/played at night. Addictions to pills are also only hinted at. It's a tasteful and commercially safe way of playing it - but it's a little silly when you hear Patsy saying "he may have taken too many of them". No sh*t. There are various distortions and holes that a viewer can get caught up in. But hey... as fans, we can cast a critical eye and (partially, at least) separate fact from fiction. On the other hand, while non-fans may lack the knowledge to do that, they may at least be prompted to spin an Elvis record or find out more about him. The documentary has its good and bad aspects.

On a more technical note, I wish the mastering could have been better. I'm surprised the interviews weren't shot/matted in/to 16:9. I also wish the film clips they used - e.g. those from That's The Way It Is - were up to the quality of the official DVD(s) to show Elvis at his prime IN his prime. Never mind.

All in all... it's a significant DVD and a worthwhile purchase. I'm glad to have it in my collection. It's also the thing that I'd be proud to lend to someone else. All I need do is issue a verbal disclaimer of sorts, and once they're made aware that there's more to Elvis than the prism he's put through in the production, I think that the way he's presented within it would strike a chord. The whole thing definitely had an effect on me. Just something to think about.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Excellent review Greg and great points made by all. Cryogenic, you bring up a good point when you said " From the way Elvis is talked of and the footage that is presented, you'd gain the impression he was more normal than he was. How many daytime shots do you see? It implies that Elvis lived and operated in the same hours as we all do". I think the theory that EP lived a very reclusive life is completely over-blown. Elvis' life was topsy-turvy when touring because of the hours in which he performed, not to mention not going to bed until early morning, it's the equivalent to somebody working midnight's and sleeping during the daytime, which countless of people do. You see a lot of footage from the movie days in which it was daylight out.

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Thanks for the feedback, gents, and welcome aboard, Cyro'.

I wasn't too bothered by not dwelling on Elvis' excesses - not at all. I rather think too much ink and time has been spent on this aspect of his life, resulting in a totally distorted, stereotypical and even grosteque view of Elvis. It was refreshing to hear them talk about the positives that get lost for too many.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Thanks guys!

One thing I will say about EBTP: it's graceful. There's something about the editing - especially when they talk about Elvis' love of performing and his search for spiritual meaning - that imparts the production and those aspects of Elvis' life with a soothing transcendental grace. There's no other way to put it. The documentary has this remarkable ability to cut through all the "noise", as it were, and make you sense Elvis as a person. Even if there are distortions present (and there are), every fantasy has some measure of reality, and in this case, both the fantasy and the reality radiate a kind of rare yet familiar warmth.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I like EBTP! I've seen the tv version also, and it gives you what the title says: Elvis By The Presleys.
It's strange how popular mainstream products like this, getting attention, selling well, doing well in DVD charts all over the globe!
How is it that I get this feeling that when a mainstream product becomes popular in the general public, the fans have a tendency to turn it down!
How come?

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Very nice review Gregory. I have seen the tv special and it was good but I like the dvd set better, it has more footage on it that they did not use for the tv special.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Re: "Elvis By the Presleys" DVD : A Bad Rap?

I just started re-watching it recently (after a 2-hour version was broadcast on TV Land on January 8th) and again find myself impressed with the work put into it, nevermind my initial chagrin at "Mrs. Presley," etc. It's obviously produced in large part for the female fan but there's a lot of meat about his career and personality plus great use of songs and footage.

The DVD version runs for some 4 hours and well-worth getting in any event.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I just started re-watching it recently (after a 2-hour version was broadcast on TV Land on January 8th) and again find myself impressed with the work put into it, nevermind my initial chagrin at "Mrs. Presley," etc. It's obviously produced in large part for the female fan but there's a lot of meat about his career and personality plus great use of songs and footage.

I thought it was excellent!

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Joe Car wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I just started re-watching it recently (after a 2-hour version was broadcast on TV Land on January 8th) and again find myself impressed with the work put into it, nevermind my initial chagrin at "Mrs. Presley," etc. It's obviously produced in large part for the female fan but there's a lot of meat about his career and personality plus great use of songs and footage.

I thought it was excellent!

yeh me too.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

lucio

Post by lucio »

I stopped enjoying hearing other people talking about Elvis many years ago. Instead I prefer to focus my collecting on new unreleased audio video of Elvis himself. To this end, I'm happy to have the "By The Presleys" dvd because I found at least 30-40 minutes of new or far better quality candids of Elvis himself on it.
My only wish woud have been if they added a section that combined all the candid footage together in one spot so that I would not have to go through the many minutes of non-Elvis interviews to see video of Elvis himself.
Lucio

kajsa89
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by kajsa89 »

I found it leaning too much on Jerry Schilling. That Larry Geller was not interviewed for the spiritual/religious chapter was a disappointment (although I was not really surprised). Who needs his very religious-quest/talking buddy as a source for a DVD biography...? (sarcasm mode on)
It is overall very friendly. "Whitewashing" comes to mind, yes. I suggest reading Guralnick instead! Or at least before or after viewing the DVD.

Let's get a deluxe Blu-Ray with "Elvis On Tour", too! A release that has unrelased footage, not merely the original movie minus Johnny B!!

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

For those that follow this sort of stuff, there is rare footage shown on the TV version, that did not make it to the DVD version.
So, If you recorded it on tv you must keep that recording if you want all the footage presented.

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Monique »

ekenee wrote:For those that follow this sort of stuff, there is rare footage shown on the TV version, that did not make it to the DVD version.
So, If you recorded it on tv you must keep that recording if you want all the footage presented.
Is that so? Hmmm...I wished someone told me before. I assumed that the TV version was only a shorter version of the DVD version, with no extra material. That makes me wonder...

@ Ger: What did they show those last 10 minutes in the TV version that brought tears to your eyes? (see the quote in Gregory's first post) It's probably not the same as the last 10 minutes of the video-version. (I sure hope your memory is that good 8) ).

Always Elvis on my mind

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Ek',

could you be more specific? I don't really any difference but perhaps forgot it. I 'm doubtful but if you provide evidence that would be great.

lucio wrote:I stopped enjoying hearing other people talking about Elvis many years ago. Instead I prefer to focus my collecting on new unreleased audio video of Elvis himself. To this end, I'm happy to have the "By The Presleys" dvd because I found at least 30-40 minutes of new or far better quality candids of Elvis himself on it.
My only wish woud have been if they added a section that combined all the candid footage together in one spot so that I would not have to go through the many minutes of non-Elvis interviews to see video of Elvis himself.
Lucio

Well, talking heads do get tiresome but let's face it a good story can add color to the EP story. It's not just about his performances (not that this isn't a hightlight) but most of us (apparently not all) do want to learn more about the man. It can't all be gleaned from our personal viewings of his films and not even just reading Peter Guralnick, either. I'm glad they put this out there.

I agree Larry Geller is missed (I forget: did they talk at all about him?) but I was disappointed to learn on the forum here how disreputable he, too, can be, sadly enough. He told some great stories his book and then I had to hear that these too were "enhanced" / wishful-thinking. It doesn't say a lot for Elvis that he attracted such people.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Ek',

could you be more specific? I don't really any difference but perhaps forgot it. I 'm doubtful but if you provide evidence that would be great.

lucio wrote:I stopped enjoying hearing other people talking about Elvis many years ago. Instead I prefer to focus my collecting on new unreleased audio video of Elvis himself. To this end, I'm happy to have the "By The Presleys" dvd because I found at least 30-40 minutes of new or far better quality candids of Elvis himself on it.
Lucio

Well, talking heads do get tiresome but let's face it a good story can add color to the EP story. It's not just about his performances (not that this isn't a hightlight) but most of us (apparently not all) do want to learn more about the man. It can't all be gleaned from our personal viewings of his films and not even just reading Peter Guralnick, either. I'm glad they put this out there.

I agree Larry Geller is missed (I forget: did they talk at all about him?) but I was disappointed to learn on the forum here how disreputable he, too, can be, sadly enough. He told some great stories his book and then I had to hear that these too were "enhanced" / wishful-thinking. It doesn't say a lot for Elvis that he attracted such people.
I am not the kind of guy who keeps notes on such things but at the time I compared the 2 versions.
I began noticing footage (and I am only talking about Elvis footage) not Priscilla or Lisa, that was exclusive to
the TV broadcast. I do hate it when they do this because I am running out of space to keep all of these various versions of
documentaries on my shelf. There were several bits and pieces. Nothing real long, but still since I am collector I have to
keep the long TV broadcast for the bits that aren't on the DVD set.