Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Tribute to the King

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:26 pm

Got this DVD the other day.

The full title is:

A Tribute to the King by Scotty Moore & Friends.
Live at Abbey Road Studios.
Featuring songs made famous by Elvis Presley.

So what do we get ?

Well, 27 songs [actually 26, cos Heartbreak Hotel crops up twice] performed by Scotty Moore with vocals by such people as Mark Knopfler [of Dire Straits], Mike Sanchez, Paul Ansell, Albert Lee, Steve Gibbons, Dave Gilmour and Eric Clapton.

With guitar work from the likes of the above plus Bill Wyman and Martin Taylor.

The audio and visual quality is to die for !

It was filmed in 'high definition', before a live audience.

I had read that Scotty [in recent years] doesn't play too much, and leaves the tricky solos to others.

Not the case here !

I reckon that he is so mild-mannered, that if there is another lead guitar present, he always takes the 'back seat' so to speak.

But get him playing alone and those old Moore riffs can still be heard good as new !

These come over best in his stuff with Eric Clapton.

They are sitting down, with a 'stripped down' backing which includes an upright bass.

Scotty on electric with Eric doing the vocals and acoustic guitar.

Just take a listen to Mystery Train ! Great stuff !

If only Elvis' 68 Special could have been recorded like this !

The vocalists are all good, with no one trying too much to sound like Elvis.

Steve Gibbons, with his tall lean frame and long, slightly receding grey hair, actually looks a little like Elvis might have looked in 2005 !

The only low point for me was the guitar work of Martin Taylor.

He plays a couple of instrumentals, but utilises a 'jazzy' kind of improvisation which doesn't really fit with the material !

At one point, Scotty Moore kicks off Heartbreak Hotel in the traditional way but when Martin comes in with his guitar, Scotty unplugs and leaves the stage !

The material is mostly from the Sun era, with the 'latest' songs being Mess of Blues, Reconsider Baby & Tennessee Waltz.

A big surprise was Dave Gilmour choosing, for his only contribution, to sing Don't, which he does in fine fashion, even if the key was a tad high for his voice !

A highly recommended buy.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Very good Colin.

I wish I could see this. Do you know if it´s already released in DVD? Can you post the songs performed on this DVD?

Best Regards!

Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:23 pm

Renan -

Yes, it's released !

ImageImage

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:11 pm

Thanks for this.

It´s really a terrific tracklisting! Songs like "I Forgot To Remember To Forget Her" and "I´m Left, You´re Right, She´s Gone" are one of my favourites from Sun era.
They are simple but so good!

I will buy it!

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:54 am

Renan -

You wrote:
Songs like "I Forgot To Remember To Forget Her" and "I´m Left, You´re Right, She´s Gone" are one of my favourites from Sun era.
They are simple but so good!

Well, yeah, but only "I Forgot" is on this set !

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:52 am

Thats age Colin...take it from Sam. :P

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:31 pm

I've read that in this dvd Bill Wyman talks about whay the Rolling stones didn't want to meet Elvis.......can someone tell me about this story as I don't have the dvd :cry:
thankssss!
Ale