Best track on "Recorded live on stage in Memphis" LP 1974

Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Poll ended at Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:50 pm

I Got A Woman/Amen
No votes
Trying To Get To You
36%
´"Rock medley"
12%
Why Me Lord
No votes
How Great Thou Art
36%
Blueberry Hill/I Can't Stop Loving You
No votes
Help me
No votes
An American Trilogy
No votes
My Baby Left Me
12%
Lawdy, miss Clawdy
3%

Total votes: 33

Topic author
dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dreambear »

The sound of the general health check up late 1973, that could be heard on the Good times album, was still heard on march 20 1974. I still remember the day as a 12 year old boy, when I gave this album a first spin. I was so surprised to hear Elvis sounding so young again. When you hear the FTD version, it´s easy to hear that the show isn´t so focused as the MSG or the Aloha concert, but there´s a smoothness in his voice, not heard on record since the recordings from 1970. The setlist is pretty standard for the period, but for the listener in 1974, it was actually the first chance to hear a live version of "I got a woman" on a RCA album! Trying to get to you is a powerhouse performance.

What do you say about the rock medley? It would have been nice if Elvis had recorded a full version of "Mama don´t dance". Why me Lord is boring in my opinion, but was a new song and shall of course be included in the poll. "How great thou art" is far from boring, and in my opinion way better than the "In concert" version. Perhaps not in voice volume, but in voice control.

Did Elvis start " I can´t stop loving you" with "Blueberry hill" on more occasions? It sounds like an idea of the moment, but the musicians follows nicely. Help me is on par with the studio version.

I got a lot of critic by exclude "trilogy" from the aloha poll, so here it is again. Perhaps not so perfectly performed here as in aloha, but the middle section ("so hush little baby...") is the best known in my opinion. The vibrato reminds me of the perfect controlled vibrato of the early 60´s.

Let me be there is excluded because of it´s inclusion of the forthcoming "Moody blue" poll.

Both "Lawdy, miss Clawdy" and "My baby left me" gets respectful treatments from Elvis.

I like a lot of the versions here (even "See see rider") but I must vote on the big show stopper here: "How great thou art".

Vote on and have a merry, merry Christmas!

Kind regards

Björn

Rob

Re: Best track on "Recorded live on stage in Memphis" LP 1974

Post by Rob »

This is my favorite show from 1974. Since "How Great Thou Art" won him a grammy, who am I not to vote for it?

Wilko
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Wilko »

Voted for 'How Great Thou Art' but I like like most of the performances on this album. One of my favourite live albums!

familyjules

Post by familyjules »

How Great Thou Art is a towering performance. It's actually my favourite Elvis recording of all. Probably. The power of it. Makes your hair stand up on end, your teeth rattle, and your ears pop!

Jules

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Lennart »

Tough choice but I voted for "My baby left me"
I wish he had done it more often instead of "All shook up" and the other oldies he got tired of doing.

Lennart

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

dreambear wrote:...I like a lot of the versions here (even "See see rider")...
But not enough to include it in the options...........................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It was a strong album. Why isn't "See See Rider" listed on this poll? It is one of the best post-1970 versions available. From what is listed, "Trying To Get To You" gets my vote.

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

midnightx wrote:It was a strong album. Why isn't "See See Rider" listed on this poll? It is one of the best post-1970 versions available. From what is listed, "Trying To Get To You" gets my vote.
It's a sad fact, but these polls, with their limit of 10 options, are not really suitable for subjects like setlists or 'best-track-on-the-album' type of things.

Some titles have to be eliminated before the polling even begins !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

RickM
Registered for: 19 years

Post by RickM »

This was 1 of the 1st Elvis albums I ever bought & remains a peronal favourite. Spliting hairs here but I'd go with "trying to get to you"

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

always loved the rock medley on the album

-instagram kenh1964

elvisa
Registered for: 17 years

Post by elvisa »

Dreambear...this is not an easy one.......I like the whole thing :D ...it`s one of those albums that I play a lot.... my vote went to Lawdy miss Clawdy, but I could easily have voted for them all...

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

midnightx wrote:It was a strong album. Why isn't "See See Rider" listed on this poll? It is one of the best post-1970 versions available. From what is listed, "Trying To Get To You" gets my vote.
Mainly because it was included on the "On stage" album poll. Most of the other tracks here were "new live versions" on record (for those who had watched On tour, had of course heard Lawdy, Miss Calwdy and I got a woman!)

The other option was to remove "trilogy", but I still remember what happened the last time I removed that track....

Blame it on the ten options limit.

Kind regards Björn

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Shouldn't "Let Me Be There" be on this list - since its first outting was on this LP.

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Matthew wrote:Shouldn't "Let Me Be There" be on this list - since its first outting was on this LP.
Perhaps, but it would have excluded some other track, that someone would like to vote on. Most important is the possibility to vote, and that chance is on Moody blue.

//Björn

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

keninlincs wrote:always loved the rock medley on the album
That is the Doc's favorite too.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The rock medley gets it for me, but this is a much under-rated live album - and is a better listen in its original state than in the uncut version in my opinion.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Not for me.

While I've always liked the original album, I prefer the FTD version, which features a very good "Steamroller Blues."

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

The original album sequence was actually well done. Yes, Steamroller Blues would have been worthy of inclusion, but really, most of what was cut from the original LP represented filler. It is great to have the entire show available, but tracks like the lifeless Don't Be Cruel/Teddy Bear medley do not add much.

Rob

Post by Rob »

midnightx wrote:tracks like the lifeless Don't Be Cruel/Teddy Bear medley do not add much.
Which is one way of looking at it. I prefer to look at it as lighthearted interaction with the audience. While it may not be exciting to sit and listen to CD after CD, the audience was loving him and dying to get their hands on a precious scarf -- not to mention Elvis was enjoying his fans.

KevR
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by KevR »

Lonely Summer wrote:"How Great Thou Art" gets my vote, the best version of this song IMHO. It's also nice to hear "Why Me, Lord" done straight, but my mom heard that and thought I was playing the record at the wrong speed! Really a nice concert. Maybe not as much of an event as Aloha, but he's more relaxed here, having fun ("duh moon tood till, on blueberry hill"), and vocally in great form. Nice to hear him do a few 50's classics that are not treated as throwaways ("My Baby Left Me", "Trying to Get to You", "Lawdy Miss Clawdy"). Those fans, though....Elvis is trying to sing "Help Me" and some girls are screaming at him...how he kept his concentration with that going on amazes me. I guess he got used to it, but still!!
Couldn't agree more, finally decided to vote for My Baby Left Me since it's unique to this album/period and of course has Elvis tipping a wink to one of composer Arhur Crudup's other (totally different :wink: ) composition's..... Ah dada dee dee deedee indeed!

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

dreambear wrote:The sound of the general health check up late 1973, that could be heard on the Good times album, was still heard on march 20 1974. I still remember the day as a 12 year old boy, when I gave this album a first spin. I was so surprised to hear Elvis sounding so young again.
This recording is an anomaly. While he doesn't sound as good as he did in 1970, he certainly sounds healthier than many shows from 72/73.

As you noted, perhaps this is a direct result of his late 73 hospital detoxification. He actually sounds a little better in this live March 74 recording than he did during the Dec. 73 post detox Stax sessions!

His voice is rich and clear and he doesn't seem to be under the influence of downers (which plagued his delivery on some 73 shows and certainly some later 74 shows).

I liked the FTD of this live show, though I think the amount of digital reverb used is a little over the top.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

If it were listed I'd vote for "Let Me Be There." Since it isn't I'll go with " Trying To Get To You." I don't care for Elvis' Live version of HGTA (Grammy Award not withstanding). Too over the top. Prefer the more understated studio version.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Yes, I agree this version is understated compared to EIC. Memphis version is over the top. EIC version is waaaaaaaaaaay over the top. I like that version even less.

The Colonel's Art Dept? No problem. I love "Separate Ways" and "Sings For Children." Just to name two tacky covers. So tacky they're good.

sylvain
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by sylvain »

How great thou art

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by jeanno »

The roaring Trying To Get To You. Classic rendition but also completely different rendition of the song compared to the 68 sit-down performance and the original SUN cut.