Best track on "Elvis" LP 1973

Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Poll ended at Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Fool
No votes
Where do I go from here
7%
Love me, Love the life I lead
14%
It's Still Here
10%
It's Impossible
21%
(That´s what you get) For Lovin' Me
10%
Padre
3%
I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
No votes
I Will Be True
3%
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
31%

Total votes: 29

Topic author
dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dreambear »

Correct me if I´m wrong, but this was Elvis´ first studio pop album in 17 months! An after the success of "Aloha from Hawaii" and the high quality of singles like Burning love/It´s a matter of time and Separate ways/Always on my mind, this must have been a huge disappointment in the middle of 1973.

The album starts with Elvis in very strong voice in the single track "Fool". It´s not the best track from the 72 sessions but if all tracks on this album had been this good.... well dream away.

The next song is also from the same sessions and it starts brilliant and has a good, catchy chorus. But the song seems unfinished. Compare with "Any day now" where Elvis sings in falsetto which makes the song change in the middle. Something is missing here, perhaps a bridge or a guitar solo. Elvis does what he can but starts repeating the chorus at 1.35 or so. Luckily, Ronnie Tutt saves the day at the ending.

No 1973 recordings available and no 1972 studio recordings left either. Let´s see, didn´t we have a track rfom 1971 that Elvis didn´t want to release? Let´s release it anyway. This song has been discussed before and Elvis simply hadn´t strong enough voice at this recording session to handle this demanding song.

The three songs recorded with Elvis at the piano, was probably not the big hits RCA looked for in 1973, but we should all be thankful that Felton Jarvis used to press the button even at jam sessions and so on. I don´t know if Elvis recorded those for official release...anyone who knows? The overall feeling is that Elvis sang those songs with care and his piano playing is quite solid here.

Side one ends with "It´s impossible", a veeery big Las Vegas arrangement and not really my cup of tea, but Elvis sang in a very smooth voice in his first 1972 Vegas engagement and is splendid here. My old mother loves this one.

"Side two kicks in a optimistic way and Elvis sings "For lovin´ me" in a very nice laid back style with almost no vibrato at all (Like "Early mornin´ rain). A bit unusual and fresh. One of the best here.

"Padre" is in my opinion an horrible track. Elvis sounds strained in a wrong way. Together with "This is our dance" his worst 70´s track with "Never again" running close.

Luckily, a jam rounds up the album and Elvis doesn´t sound as happy on any of the other tracks of this album. A shame that he hadn´t a lyric sheet at the moment.

I have a hard time to choose between "Don´t think twice...", "For lovin´ me" or "Where do I go from here" (even if it sounds unfinished). Today the first one of those is my favourite.

Vote on!

Kind regards
Björn

Rob

Re: Best track on "Elvis" LP 1973

Post by Rob »

I can tolerate everything but "Padre" from this album. However, "Don't Think Twice" is at the top of my list.

KevR
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by KevR »

I particularily like (That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me and Don't Think Twice It's Alright but the latter is better in it's longer edits. My favourite track however is It's Still Here, Elvis totally wrapped up in a song and simultaneously able to convey loss and anger with his vocal performance.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Can't wait for the Classic Album Series reissue of this one.

Seriously, it is astonishing that RCA felt comfortable putting out this album. No other A-list mainstream artist would have had a management team allow such a travesty. Not that there are not some redeeming songs here, but over all, a mixed bag with so much filler should never have been released.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for your damned input on the LP. Now, play the damned game and pick a damned song.

Damn it!

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Rob wrote:Thanks for your damned input on the LP. Now, play the damned game and pick a damned song.

Damn it!
Are you talking to me?

Rob

Post by Rob »

I was.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Rob wrote:I was.
Well, damn it, you know "Padre" is the most stunning track on the album and should have been a lead-off single.

I always enjoyed Elvis' vocal performance of "It's Impossible" - guess that one would get my vote.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I thought for sure you'd be a "Padre" kind of guy.

"It's Impossible" is a good song.

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hard to pick one song really but since no one had voted for "I will be true" it got my vote.
This is a weak album with not even one great song but a handful of decent ones.
"Padre" is the worst song, never liked it.
"It´s impossible" is not my kind of song but Elvis sings it beautfully!

This album should never had seen the light of the day if RCA had any sense at all.

Lennart

elvisa
Registered for: 17 years

Post by elvisa »

I voted for "Love me love the life I lead"...I love that song, but I like most of this album. Only track that I never listen to is Padre, actually it`s the only Elvis song that I really can`t listen to :|

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'll admit that when I first bought this album back in the day I wasn't crazy about the Elvis "at the piano" cuts, but I came to appreciate them as the years went by. My least favorite cut would be "Padre," but I don't hate it. I guess my fave would be "Where Do I Go From Here?" A close second would be (That's What You Get) "For Lovin' Me" or "It's Impossible".

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

Rob wrote:I thought for sure you'd be a "Padre" kind of guy.

"It's Impossible" is a good song.
By Perry Coma it was.............................................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

JerryNodak wrote:I'll admit that when I first bought this album back in the day I wasn't crazy about the Elvis "at the piano" cuts, but I came to appreciate them as the years went by. My least favorite cut would be "Padre," but I don't hate it. I guess my fave would be "Where Do I Go From Here?" A close second would be (That's What You Get) "For Lovin' Me" or "It's Impossible".
I didn´t know that it was Elvis who was playing piano until the "silver box" was released in 1980. Was it common knowledge in the 70´s?

//Björn

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Perhaps to some people. Not to me. Like you, I had no idea until I bought the Silver box on vinyl.

Marc Haegeman
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Marc Haegeman »

dreambear wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I'll admit that when I first bought this album back in the day I wasn't crazy about the Elvis "at the piano" cuts, but I came to appreciate them as the years went by. My least favorite cut would be "Padre," but I don't hate it. I guess my fave would be "Where Do I Go From Here?" A close second would be (That's What You Get) "For Lovin' Me" or "It's Impossible".
I didn´t know that it was Elvis who was playing piano until the "silver box" was released in 1980. Was it common knowledge in the 70´s?

//Björn
Not at all. These albums didn't give any details about musicians, recording dates etc. I had much the same reaction, Björn, in the beginning. Didn't like them much at first, but that changed with time. My favorite tracks on this LP have always been (That's What You Get) "For Lovin' Me" and "It's Impossible", the latter with a very, very Vegas arrangement, but really beautifully sung (forget Como...)

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Forget Como? Never! He's one of my all time faves. Love his version of the song.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I'm not telling which song I voted for, but it's all right, I didn't have to think twice about it.....................................

Colin B

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

ColinB wrote:I'm not telling which song I voted for, but it's all right, I didn't have to think twice about it.....................................
Must have been "Padre"...

//Björn

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Lonely Summer wrote:It's impossible to guess which song this Fool voted for!
Must have been 'Padre'...

Colin B

bajo

Post by bajo »

I think "It's Impossible" is a good version by Elvis! I was truly surprised when I first heard it on that album! The album itself could well have fitted the Camden formula by then!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

i know you can only vote for 1 song but hey im havin 2
where do i go from here
love me love the life i lead
both are regularly played here in the darkest swamps of scunthorpe while i am held captive in my office

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

keninlincs wrote:i know you can only vote for 1 song but hey im havin 2
where do i go from here
both are regularly played here in the darkest swamps of scunthorpe while i am held captive in my office
You have to choose, my friend. Go for the "feeling of today" 8)

//Björn

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

ok today i choose

-instagram kenh1964

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Don't Think Twice is a wonderful track - always makes me smile hearing Elvis so wrapped up in a song like this and not willing to let it go. If only RCA had the guts to release the entire 8 minutes or so then we would have had a longer album. I got this on CD and it only lasts 23 minutes!