Best track on "Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite" 2LP 1973

Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Poll ended at Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Burning Love
13%
Something
No votes
You Gave Me A Mountain
6%
Steamroller Blues
28%
My way
6%
It's Over
6%
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
22%
What Now My Love
16%
Welcome To My World
3%
A Big Hunk O' Love
No votes

Total votes: 32

Topic author
dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dreambear »

After a long while, it´s time for an album poll again. This time it´s about Elvis´ last no 1 album. For some reason this concert is one of the concerts of Elvís play least. It´s higly professional, but the whole thing feels very laid back, including the TCB band. The rockers are all less agressive compared to earlier live /studio versions. Although Long tall Sally/Whole lotta shakin´ goin on has a loose feeling that is nice. "A big hunk ´love" is also treated with respect, but i prefer the 1972 versions. I´m not gonna mention all tracks here. On the poll is the 8 "new" songs (on the album it says "7 songs never recorded by Elvis" if I´m not mistaken. Something was indeed recorded, but not released...strange) plus "Burning love" which isn´t on any regular album. The tenth track is hard to choose, but I suspect that a lot of people like his 70´s take on "A big hunk o´ love" so I will include that one.

Elvis voice of early 1973 has been discussed before. It´s a mixed bag. He handles the high notes excellent like the endings of "It´s over" or "What now my love". The silent ones like "I´m so lonesome I could cry" (my absolute highpoint of this album) or "I´ll remember you" also works very well. But there are moment when Elvis sounds weak ("Something" springs to my mind or when his voice cracks up early in "See see rider"). At the rehearsal show, you can hear it in the beginning of "Love me".

"You gave me a mountain" was way better in Hampton roads, 1972. I´m not sure if this version is better than the CBS 1977 version? The same goes to "My way". I do prefer the 1977 versions. And I don´t like that solo violin that many others like. "It´s over" is very well sung, but not my cup of tea songwise. "Welcome to my world" shouldn´t be my cup of tea either, but it was the opening and title track of the first Elvis LP that I owned. Nostalgia! Anyway, it is well sunged. "What now my love" is a powerhouse perfomance. But the simple arrangement and the stunning, sad performance of "I´m so lonesome I could cry" is breathtaking, so it will get my vote.

The oldies is not worth mentioning, except for "Fever", which is cool.

"Steamroller blues" was a fresh number in his repetoire, but the Memphis version from 1974 is a bit more mean and nasty.

Please vote on!

Thank you!

//Björn

elvisa
Registered for: 17 years

Re: Best track on "Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite" 2LP 1973

Post by elvisa »

Hi Bjørn, I voted for "Burning love" as I think it`s the best live version we have, both in performance and sound. ....I love the song. Aloha is a favorite show of mine and I`ve watched it quite a bit and often play the cd.

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Lennart »

Hard to pick just ONE song but I finally decided to vote for "Burning love"
"Steamroller blues", "It´s over" and "A big hunk of love" are the ones I´ve listened to most of the ones in the polls along with "Burning love" and I really like "I´m so lonesome I could cry" but I could only vote for one.

I got this album back in august 1973 and played it a lot, don´t listen to it that often nowadays though!

"Welcome to my world" is in my opinion the weakest track and should not have been included in the show along with the terrible version of "Hound dog" and the weak version of "Blue suede shoes". All my personal opinion of course.
I also think it´s strange that Elvis performed "I can´t stop loving you" since he already had released two live versions of it and both are superior to the Aloha version, especially the MSG version.

Lennart

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Of your selections "Steamroller Blues" easily takes the gold, with "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" getting the silver and "It's Over" awarded the bronze.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvispresley3
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by elvispresley3 »

"I'm so lonesome" for me. On the throwaway version of the oldies,Surely, Elvis should have worked to make them sound cool seeing as it was going worldwide...

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Not a great show though I do understand it's importance. I'm So Lonesome for me.

Mike Eder

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Pete Dube »

I went with You Gave Me a Mountain. An essential set piece 72-77.

KevR
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by KevR »

8 songs never before recorded by Elvis (I think that's what the blurb says on the back, don't have the LP to hand) so when reaching for Aloha which of those would I go for first? Steamroller, then Lonesome.

Elvis_Priestly
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

"What Now My Love" - if you didn't know the song you could have no idea from its beginnings where it was going to lead you - to that crescendo of sheer vocal authority.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Of your choices I went with "Mountain." I perfer this version to '72. The best track isn't even listed. "An American Trilogy." The Aloha version is the ultimate. Imho.

Davy
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Davy »

Hi, first post! :P

My favourite track is Welcome To My World, I think it's just a very sweet rendition of the song. When the Aloha show was so overblown with pomp and circumstance, its performances like Welcome To My World and I'm So Lonesome I COuld Cry that really let you into Elvis and his soul.

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

elvisa wrote:Hi Bjørn, I voted for "Burning love" as I think it`s the best live version we have, both in performance and sound. ....I love the song. Aloha is a favorite show of mine and I`ve watched it quite a bit and often play the cd.
Hi Elvisa! (Oh, those danish ö´s :D )That is probably right, especially soundwise. The version from the summer of 1975 on the "silver box" ain´t that bad either. A bit to much brass on both versions though.

Ha en dejelig dag! :wink:

//Björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Lennart wrote:Hard to pick just ONE song but I finally decided to vote for "Burning love"
"Steamroller blues", "It´s over" and "A big hunk of love" are the ones I´ve listened to most of the ones in the polls along with "Burning love" and I really like "I´m so lonesome I could cry" but I could only vote for one.

I got this album back in august 1973 and played it a lot, don´t listen to it that often nowadays though!

"Welcome to my world" is in my opinion the weakest track and should not have been included in the show along with the terrible version of "Hound dog" and the weak version of "Blue suede shoes". All my personal opinion of course.
I also think it´s strange that Elvis performed "I can´t stop loving you" since he already had released two live versions of it and both are superior to the Aloha version, especially the MSG version.

Lennart
Hej Lennart!

Wasn´t "I can´t stop loving you a last minute add together with "Johnny B. Good" and "Long tall sally/Whole lotta..."""? The main reason was probably that the band could play those without any rehearsals.

//Björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Of your selections "Steamroller Blues" easily takes the gold, with "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" getting the silver and "It's Over" awarded the bronze.
Hi Doc!

Do you miss any particular selection?

Regards//Björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Lonely Summer wrote:I'm with the Doc on this one, "Steamroller" does it for me, but "Lonesome" is also a steller performance. Elvis' rendition was my introduction to this Hank Williams classic. When my friend Chris would sing the second verse (the one Elvis omits) I'd be thinking "what is this?" Finally heard Hank's original some years later, also the excellent version by B.J. Thomas. "Burning Love" is fine except for them darn horns! They should've sat this one out, and let the TCB band handle it on their own. I love James' work on "Steamroller". I recall some comments on this board a few months ago about James' blues playing, but I don't hear anything wrong with it. It's James Burton, end of story!
Well James Buron is a fantastic player, especially country/folk and rock & roll. But sometimes I can miss the so called "blue notes" that most blues player hits (BB King, Albert King, T-Bone Walker or even Mr Clapton). But you can´t be best at everything. Those blues player with the possible exception of Clapton, are probably more limited at other styles.

//Björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

JerryNodak wrote:Of your choices I went with "Mountain." I perfer this version to '72. The best track isn't even listed. "An American Trilogy." The Aloha version is the ultimate. Imho.
I do prefer the versions from Hampton roads and Greensboro 1972. But this vesion is great too. The only reason it wasn´t included on the poll, was that the song was on the MSG poll.

//Björn

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'm not saying that Trilogy on MSG isn't good, but it falls short of the Aloha version (imo).

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

There were clearly a handful of standout performances from this famous concert. Four from the list that are contenders would be:
Steamroller Blues
My Way
It's Over
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

[
dreambear wrote:
Lennart wrote:Hard to pick just ONE song but I finally decided to vote for "Burning love"

Lennart
Hej Lennart!

Wasn´t "I can´t stop loving you a last minute add together with "Johnny B. Good" and "Long tall sally/Whole lotta..."""? The main reason was probably that the band could play those without any rehearsals.

//Björn
Hej Björn!
I guess you´re right but why didn´t he choose a song like Polk Salad Annie or Little sister/Get back instead of I can´t stop loving you? That would have been much better and also give the concert a more "rock´n roll " feeling to it.
"Always on my mind" or "Seperate Ways" would of course be the most logical choices considering it was his latest singe at the time.

Lennart

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Lennart wrote:[
dreambear wrote:

Lennart
Hej Lennart!

//Björn
Hej Björn!
I guess you´re right but why didn´t he choose a song like Polk Salad Annie or Little sister/Get back instead of I can´t stop loving you? That would have been much better and also give the concert a more "rock´n roll " feeling to it.
"Always on my mind" or "Seperate Ways" would of course be the most logical choices considering it was his latest singe at the time.

Lennart
Not logical for the Aloha special. Both tracks would have been out of place for that particular event.

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Why is that Midnightx?
It´s over, I´m so lonesome I could cry, You gave me a mountain and What now my love isn´t exactly "happy" songs.I still think it would be logical for Elvis to perform his latest single or what do you mean by your "out of place" statement?
I´m sure glad he performed his latest hit Burning love, that one seems more out of place considering the lyrics compared to the ones I listed above.

I guess you can´t come over the fact that he didn´t do the masterpiece "Life" that night :wink:

Lennart

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Lennart wrote:Why is that Midnightx?
It´s over, I´m so lonesome I could cry, You gave me a mountain and What now my love isn´t exactly "happy" songs.I still think it would be logical for Elvis to perform his latest single or what do you mean by your "out of place" statement?
I´m sure glad he performed his latest hit Burning love, that one seems more out of place considering the lyrics compared to the ones I listed above.

I guess you can´t come over the fact that he didn´t do the masterpiece "Life" that night :wink:

Lennart
Burning Love was a rocker and a hit. It was a strong choice for a follow-up song to See See Rider.

Perhaps if Always On My Mind and Seperate Ways had some sort of inspired and lush arrangement like the other tracks you mention, they could have worked. Seperate Ways doesn't have the feel of a strong stage number, particularly for an international broadcast.

Life would have brought the house down.

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Well perhaps "Seperate ways" would be difficult to perform in a way that suited the special but "Always on my mind" is one of his greatest ballads and should have been great íf Elvis would do a comitted performace.
Imagine Elvis doin "Always on my mind" and "Little Sister/Get back" instead of "Welcome to my world" and "I can´t stop loving you". Throw in a strong version of "Polk salad Annie" instead of "Hound dog" and "Blue suede shoes" and this show would probably rank among his absolute best.
Well if I can dream, me about this scenario and you about Elvis ending the show with "Life"

Still a good show I would have to say!

Lennart

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Lennart wrote:Well perhaps "Seperate ways" would be difficult to perform in a way that suited the special but "Always on my mind" is one of his greatest ballads and should have been great íf Elvis would do a comitted performace.
Imagine Elvis doin "Always on my mind" and "Little Sister/Get back" instead of "Welcome to my world" and "I can´t stop loving you". Throw in a strong version of "Polk salad Annie" instead of "Hound dog" and "Blue suede shoes" and this show would probably rank among his absolute best.
Well if I can dream, me about this scenario and you about Elvis ending the show with "Life"

Still a good show I would have to say!

Lennart
As boring as the performance of Hound Dog is, he had to leave it in the set. Many international fans would have been disappointed had they not seen their hero perform one or two of the big 50's hits. Blue Suede Shoes was an absolute toss-away. A nice bluesy Heartbreak Hotel (similar to what was showcased during TTWII) would have been an appropriate inclusion for this particular event.

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

"Heartbreak Hotel" would have been nice, but I don´t think that Elvis HAD to perform "Hound dog"

Wonder what your choices would be if you could rearrange the Aloha special?

Lennart