Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Best track on "You´ll never walk alone" LP 1971

Poll ended at Thu May 08, 2008 12:40 pm

You'll Never Walk Alone
39%
Who Am I?
4%
Let Us Pray
17%
Peace In The Valley
4%
We Call On Him
13%
I believe
No votes
It Is No Secret
4%
Sing You Children
No votes
Take My Hand, Precious Lord
17%

Total votes : 23

Best track on "You'll Never Walk Alone" LP 1971

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:40 pm

Hello again!

Next up is this low-budget Camden album with a really great live shot album cover with some religious numbers from different EP´s, singles and I think that "Let us pray" and "Who am I" was unreleased in 1971. 9 numbers makes this album a short one. If I had been the boss over this project, I would have taken "Only believe" to make it a ten track album. I don´t like the track, but it certainly doesn´t fit on "Love letters from Elvis", where they could have used "Sylvia" instead. And if you owned the "Elvis christmas album" from 1970, you already had "Take my hand..." and "Peace in the valley" on LP, which made this album a really bad deal. But what about the tracks?

The 1968 single You´ll never walk alone/We call on him sounds good to my ears and the B-side is a bit underrated. Then we have the famous EP from 1957. I find "I believe" a bit boring. "It is no secret" is better. But the other two tracks is pure Presley magic. "Sing you children" is best forgotten. Bad sound quality and our man sounds uninspired. "Who am I" has a descent" vocal performance, like almost all the tracks from jan/feb 1969. but I wonder what made him record this song as the last track from the Memphis sessions? It was the only religious track, so a gospel single seems not to make sence. Well, he was very spontanious, which probably is the explination. But my vote will go the "Change of habit" track "Let us pray". I love the basic sound of drums, bass and one guitar in the beginning. Elvis is on fire and it´s one of the few songs where I find the verses better than the chorus.

Vote on!

Björn
Last edited by dreambear on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Best track on "You'll Never Walk Alone" LP 1971

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:52 pm

I like Elvis' Gospel music a lot on the whole but this album probably has my least favorites with the only other one I don't like being Life. That said Peace In The Valley is a great performance and the title track is one of my very favorite Elvis performances. Every word is soaked with feeling and he just sounds magnificent. Nothing short of amazing.BTW Elvis Xmas Album on Camden did not have the Gospel songs. That's probably why they ended up here.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I like Elvis' Gospel music a lot on the whole but this album probably has my least favorites with the only other one I don't like being Life. That said Peace In The Valley is a great performance and the title track is one of my very favorite Elvis performances. Every word is soaked with feeling and he just sounds magnificent. Nothing short of amazing.BTW Elvis Xmas Album on Camden did not have the Gospel songs. That's probably why they ended up here.

My LP version of "Christmas album" which was printed in Germany or in the US in the early 70´s is a 12 track album with those two gospel numbers. I will check out the number on it. On the back side of the albums is commercials for three other Camden albums: "Flaming star", "Let´s be friends" and "Almost in love". Here´s a lot of experts here who may shine some light on this mystery.

Perhaps it´s the "International version" (INTS 1126).

Regards//Björn

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:19 pm

As much as I love Elvis' rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone I had to go with Take My Hand Precious Lord. It's one of Elvis' most moving Gospel perfromances. And that's saying something!

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:35 pm

So let us pray together, pray together
Pray with the one mighty voice (heavenly voice)
And let us sing together, sing together
Pray and we'll rejoice (we'll rejoice)

He moves in mysterious ways.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:50 pm

dreambear wrote:"Who am I" has a descent" vocal performance, like almost all the tracks from jan/feb 1969.

What, they start off OK but then sink lower & lower ?

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:50 pm

I voted for We Call On Him.
One of my favourite tracks.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:04 pm

"You´ll never walk alone" gets my vote!

Lennart

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:20 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ll_N ... y_album%29

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:02 am

shanebrown wrote:The UK version of this album had ten tracks, with SWing Down Sweet Chariot being the tenth song. It's odd when coming to these "compilation" Lps now. When I was a kid, my Mum had this and "Inspirations" which a K-Tel album I think. What's interesting is that we never stopped to think at the time that these songs were taken from different sessions/eras etc - they just fitted together as its what we were used to hearing. Only when you start collecting do you notice these things. Someone mentioned on the Almost In Love thread that, for them, that album would always have Stay Away Joe as the closing track rather than Stay Away as that was the way they first heard it. The same goes here - the Peace In The Valley EP material always fits here for me rather than on the Christmas album as we had the Camden version which omitted the gospel EP and substituted Mama Liked The Roses and If Every Day Was Like Christmas.

Anyway, enough of my waffling. I always feel sorry for Sing You Children. It got stuck in a film with the most abysmal soundtrack and it really doesn't belong there as its quite a reasonable number that I enjoy. Let Us Pray has a harder edge to it that I like - and who can forget Elvis looking gorgeous and singing it as the last song in the last Elvis fictional film! I'm not a fan of We Call On Him, although I can understand why many praise it. It's just not my bag, and I can say the same thing for Who Am I which has a similar feel to it. Although I wonder how many others were like our family and spent hours trying to work out half the words to Who Am I? You'll Never Walk Alone is good, but I believe that the alternate on Platinum is better. as for the EP material, I always believe that I Believe is out of tune in many places. I don't think it's my ears. It Is No Secret is good enough, but not one of my favourites. Peace In The Valley and Take My Hand Precious Lord are both remarkable performances. For me, the vote goes to the under-appreciated Take My hand Precious Lord.

Hi Shanebrown and thank you for the comments. I feel that I have to make clear that it´s only half of the 1957 gospel EP that´s included on the christmas album. The running order is:

Side one:

1) Blue Christmas
2) Silent night
3) White Christmas
4) Santa Claus Is Back In Town
5) I'll Be Home For Christmas
6) Peace in the valley

Side two:

1) If every day was like christmas
2) Here Comes Santa Claus
3) O' Little Town Of Bethlehem
4) Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)
5) Mama Liked The Roses
6) Take my hand precious Lord

It feels strange that no one else owns this version. I will check the numbers today.

Regards//Björn

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:11 pm

I like all the tracks. But my fave has always been "We Call On Him."

Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:19 am

Peace in the Valley gets my vote, but it was not an easy choice. Take My Hand, Precious Lord is a sublime performance, You'll Never Walk Alone is superb, and Let Us Pray makes me wanna move - could this be considered early Christian rock? I like all the songs, always thought of this as Elvis' 3rd gospel album, even though it was just a bunch of songs thrown together to make an album. Not an album like His Hand in Mine, How Great Thou Art, or He Touched Me, but a good listen anyway. I listened to it when I was in the hospital a few years ago, my brother's girlfriend brought me the cassette.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:13 am

"(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)" is by far the best track. It may still be his finest gospel recording.

My favorite track -- naturally -- is "Let Us Pray" from the 1969 soundtrack sessions for Change Of Habit. His vocal is superb, and the Blossoms are wonderful in the call and response chorus.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)" is by far the best track. It may still be his finest gospel recording.

My favorite track -- naturally -- is "Let Us Pray" from the 1969 soundtrack sessions for Change Of Habit. His vocal is superb, and the Blossoms are wonderful in the call and response chorus.

Hi Doc! Is it true that Elvis laid down new vocals for "Let us pray" later in 1969, possibly september?

Question two: A bit off topic, but do you have a clue what´s "wrong" with my 12 track copy of the 1970 christmas album? The cover is the US, not the UK one.

Have a nice day!//Björn

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:40 am

dreambear wrote:Is it true that Elvis laid down new vocals for "Let us pray" later in 1969, possibly september?

You'll find everything that is known about the Let Us Pray recordings on these pages from Keith Flynn's site:

http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... -03-05.htm
http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... -03-06.htm
http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... -09-26.htm

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:27 pm

Thank you, Spellbinder!

//Björn

Thu May 08, 2008 12:54 pm

No question about it. The title track was a clear favourite!

Thanks for voting!

//Björn