Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Poll ended at Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Stay away, Joe
0
No votes
If I´m a fool
3
10%
Let´s be friends
3
10%
Let´s forget about the stars
4
14%
Mama
0
No votes
I´ll be there
6
21%
Almost
3
10%
Change of habit
9
31%
Have a happy
1
3%
 
Total votes : 29

Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:51 pm

This time we have a Camden budget album. It would be interresting to know what people thought of those albums in 1970. It must have been hard for the average customer to know if it was a brand new studio album or not. The playing time is short, but it wasn´t full price. Perhaps some people felt that it was a let down after the last two studio albums, but on the other hand it contained unreleased tracks for the collectors. I was born in 1968, so please let the comments come.
In my opinion it´s quite a nice bunch of tracks, starting with "Stay away, Joe". Not a no 1 hit, but Elvis was in fine voice on all the tracks from that movie. Next we have a track from the American studio sessions. That type of country isn´t my cup of tea, but don´t blame me...I´m from Sweden :oops: . The title track is a leftover from "Change of habit". It´s nice enough but doesn´t match the best of Elvis´ 1969 recordings. "Let´s forget about the starts" is also a leftover, this time from "Charro". I like this one a lot and it´s very well sunged and here we can here the piano in the mix (which we couldn´t on the "Double features" CD.) Together with "Almost", and Almost in love", it´s perfect cocktail lounge bar music. "Mama" is a bit odd here, but it´s still nice to have. I think that this spliced version can only be heard on this album, but I´m not sure.
"I´ll be there" is probably my favourite on this album. I love the ending where our man repeats "Don´t you worry darling...etc". "Almost was mentioned before and is short but nice. The sound quality is a bit muffled though. "Change of habit" is probably one of the 10 most raw sounding tracks that Elvis recorded. The title is a bit ironic for a man who didn´t like to change is habits too often. But the fuzzed bass line is really something. If Ronnie Tutt is a wild drummer, Carl O´Brien is in the same legaue. "Have a happy" is a children song and it is a let down after the last three tracks.
You can´t say that this is a top rate record, but as Shanebrown wrote, It holds together better than some of his regular studio albums.

My vote goes to "I´ll be there!

Please vote on!
Kind regards
Björn

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:54 pm

dreambear wrote:My vote goes to "I´ll be there!

Mine too (but that's not saying much).

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14 pm

Have a Happy gets my vote!

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:09 am

For some unknown reason, it is clear that "Change of Habit" is the best thing on the LP.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:For some unknown reason, it is clear that "Change of Habit" is the best thing on the LP.

According to who?

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Keith F wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:For some unknown reason, it is clear that "Change of Habit" is the best thing on the LP.

According to who?


I would like to say that "Change of habit" is one of the better tracks on the album...

//BJörn

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Probably, but again, that's not saying much.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:34 pm

Rob wrote:Probably, but again, that's not saying much.


I have a feeling that you dislike this album...

I agree that it´s not top notch, but nostalgia combinated with good vocal performances makes me prefer this album over a bunch of the soundtrack albums, "Elvis" (1973) or "Love letters from Elvis"...but as you say...that doesn´t say much... :wink:

//Björn

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:47 pm

I voted for If I'm a Fool For Lovin' You. I'm really fond of that one. A nice old-school country tune, and a good one for singer-guitar players to sit and strum out.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:50 pm

I voted for "Change of Habit" (what's not to like about one of his most rocking later numbers?) and I like the whole album, as a matter of fact.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:57 am

I like several of the tracks quite a bit - If I'm a Fool (I love Elvis' rhythm playing), Let's Forget About the Stars, I'll Be There, Have a Happy, but #1 for me is Change of Habit. Dig the fuzz bass and the fact that it's a "song that really says something, you know, a message song".

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:09 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I voted for "Change of Habit" (what's not to like about one of his most rocking later numbers?) and I like the whole album, as a matter of fact.


Those Camden albums was the one´s I could afford as a child, and because of that, I can´t dislike them. "Sings Flaming star", "Almost in love" (with "Stay away, Joe"), "I got lucky" and "Burning love and hits..." was amongts the first albums I owned. But of course it´s a great dal of nostalgia, because I haven´t the same feelings for "Separate ways", "C´mon everybody" or "Sings hits from his movies vol. 1). Well I really dislike the last one.

But thats the great thing by Elvis. Even with second (and third) class material, he could catch the listeners attention.

//Björn

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:17 pm

Hello friends!
This LP is my favorite Camden LPs :)
I have a lot of wonderful memories from this spacial album
I love everyone of the songs on it, but i have to choose only one i go fro the title track: LET'S BE FRIENDS
Second close: CHANGE OF HABIT, ALMOST, LETS FORGET ABOUT THE STARS
interesting songs and correct me if im wrong but all of them hardly played or playing on the radio...its a pitty
sincerely
LIOR :wink:

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:33 am

Some here could use a class or three of Irony 101.

In all seriousness, the album is almost a soundtrack to "Change of Habit," which only hit theaters a few months before the Camden release. Four of nine cuts, all well above the standard for his late-period soundtrack efforts, derive from the 1969 Universal/NBC-TV project. The title track is the best of the bunch, and Shane is correct that "Almost" -- from "The Trouble With Girls" -- is a terrrific ballad, somewhat evocative of the twenties-era style.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:05 pm

I agree with you, Doc: "Almost" is yet another song that is buried in his legacy but more evidence of what a fantastic and well-rounded performer he was.

Shane, you're right: "Almost in Love" (the LP) has a leg up on this but it's definitely among the better Camdens. Part of this is because his voice had matured just so perfectly by this time, so that even on lesser tracks from his final movies, he still sounded great.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Some here could use a class or three of Irony 101.

In all seriousness, the album is almost a soundtrack to "Change of Habit," which only hit theaters a few months before the Camden release.
Four of nine cuts, all well above the standard for his late-period soundtrack efforts, derive from the 1969 Universal/NBC-TV project.


OK - I give up............ which four cuts are they ?

I didn't think there were that many songs in Change Of Habit - and Rubberneckin' isn't on the album for a start.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 am

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Some here could use a class or three of Irony 101.

In all seriousness, the album is almost a soundtrack to "Change of Habit," which only hit theaters a few months before the Camden release.
Four of nine cuts, all well above the standard for his late-period soundtrack efforts, derive from the 1969 Universal/NBC-TV project.


OK - I give up............ which four cuts are they ?

I didn't think there were that many songs in Change Of Habit - and Rubberneckin' isn't on the album for a start.


It´s just three tracks from "Change of habit" on this album: The title track, "Have a happy" and the song they cut from the film: "Let´s be friends".

Regards//Björn

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:27 pm

ColinB wrote:OK - I give up............ which four cuts are they ?

Let's Forget About The Stars
- cut in 11/68

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
- cut in 3/69

"Let's Forget About The Stars" was originally slated for Charro! and then moved to consideration for Change Of Habit after it went unused in the western. Both it and "Let's Be Friends" hit the dumpster and the producers shoe-horned "Rubberneckin'" from the American Sound sessions into the soundtrack to add some "hip" to the good doctor's character.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:OK - I give up............ which four cuts are they ?

Let's Forget About The Stars
- cut in 11/68

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
- cut in 3/69

"Let's Forget About The Stars" was originally slated for Charro! and then moved to consideration for Change Of Habit after it went unused in the western. Both it and "Let's Be Friends" hit the dumpster and the producers shoe-horned "Rubberneckin'" from the American Sound sessions into the soundtrack to add some "hip" to the good doctor's character.


That was new info for me. I did know about Charro.

Thanks//Björn

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:OK - I give up............ which four cuts are they ?

Let's Forget About The Stars
- cut in 11/68

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
- cut in 3/69

"Let's Forget About The Stars" was originally slated for Charro! and then moved to consideration for Change Of Habit after it went unused in the western. Both it and "Let's Be Friends" hit the dumpster and the producers shoe-horned "Rubberneckin'" from the American Sound sessions into the soundtrack to add some "hip" to the good doctor's character.


Well, OK - thanks.

But in the case of 'Stars' it didn't exactly 'derive from' the film - more a case of 'was considered for'...........

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:40 pm

I picked I'll Be There. I like that and If I'm A Fool better then some of the Memphis cuts on Back In Memphis. I like Almost and Change Of Habit as well. Great bass on the later. Stay Away Joe is kind of fun but the rest isn't much to me. Good vocals all the way through.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:45 pm

I voted for "Almost" because it reminds me of a relationship I had (or perhaps I should say "almost" had) about 10 years ago. Besides, Elvis sings it great.

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Change Of Habit here too

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"...Both [ "Let's Forget About The Stars"] and "Let's Be Friends" hit the dumpster ....


The dumpster... :P :lol: :D ! Good one, Doc! :D

I actually like the first one in a way and both have some sweetness to them (mainly his great voice) but that cracks me up.

" Camden Records - We bring the Dumpster ....to you! "

I say that affectionately as a fan of most of the Camdens... :smt002

Re: Best track on "Let´s be friends" LP 1970

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:41 pm

And the winner is: "Change of habit"!

Thanks for voting!

//Björn