Best track on "Elvis´ Gold records vol. 4" LP 1968

Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Best track on "Elvis´Gold records vol. 4" LP 1968

Poll ended at Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:28 pm

Love letters
16%
Witchcraft
5%
It Hurts Me
37%
What'd I Say
5%
Please Don't Drag That String Around
11%
Indescribably Blue
5%
(You're The) Devil in Disguise
11%
Mess of Blues
No votes
Ain't That Loving You Baby
No votes
Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello
11%

Total votes: 19

Topic author
dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Best track on "Elvis´ Gold records vol. 4" LP 1968

Post by dreambear »

I hope that I don´t tire you with so many polls this week, but I have been silent a couple of weeks, and I will probably have less time in the future too. I don´t count vol 5 in this serie, so to me this is the last of the golden records. Many will say that this is the weakest one, but strangely enough, this one is the one that spins around most in my stereo. Not his greatest hits, but there are certainly interesting songs on it. 2 have to go. I feel that the organ on "Ask me" sounds very dated so thats number one. I like the rest of the tracks but no 2 to go is "Lonely man", which is lovely but sounds different to the other "Nashville-sounding" tracks (Yes I know..."What´d I say" wasn´t recorded in Nashville). "Just tell her Jim.." is nice, but has an annoying triangle way too loud in the mix. "Devil.." is brilliant but so are the sax solo in Witchcraft too. A party hit! I prefer the fast version of "Ain´t that loving you baby". So I´m down to choose between "A mess of blues" or "It hurts me". Both are incredible performances (Elvis didn´t come close to the master on his 68 version of the latter song). The drum fills are incredible on a "Mess of blues". Status Quo played the drum fills exactly like Elvis´version. But at the end of the day, I must give my vote to "It hurts me".

Vote on!

Regards!

Björn

kuenzer
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kuenzer »

No one will prevent me from voting for Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello! It was the fourth song on my first Elvis cassette, after I Got Stung, One Night and Big Hunk. And just before Now Or Never.

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Best track on "Elvis´ Gold records vol. 4" LP

Post by Joe Car »

dreambear wrote:I hope that I don´t tire you with so many polls this week, but I have been silent a couple of weeks, and I will probably have less time in the future too. I don´t count vol 5 in this serie, so to me this is the last of the golden records. Many will say that this is the weakest one, but strangely enough, this one is the one that spins around most in my stereo. Not his greatest hits, but there are certainly interesting songs on it. 2 have to go. I feel that the organ on "Ask me" sounds very dated so thats number one. I like the rest of the tracks but no 2 to go is "Lonely man", which is lovely but sounds different to the other "Nashville-sounding" tracks (Yes I know..."What´d I say" wasn´t recorded in Nashville). "Just tell her Jim.." is nice, but has an annoying triangle way too loud in the mix. "Devil.." is brilliant but so are the sax solo in Witchcraft too. A party hit! I prefer the fast version of "Ain´t that loving you baby". So I´m down to choose between "A mess of blues" or "It hurts me". Both are incredible performances (Elvis didn´t come close to the master on his 68 version of the latter song). The drum fills are incredible on a "Mess of blues". Status Quo played the drum fills exactly like Elvis´version. But at the end of the day, I must give my vote to "It hurts me".

Vote on!

Regards!

Björn
Dreambear, these polls are a lot of fun and gives us a good read on who likes what, thanks again. As far as my favorite track, it's a tie between It Hurts Me, and Devil in Disguise, both performed brilliantly by our guy!

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

"Love Letters", "It Hurts Me", "Indescribably Blue", "(You're The) Devil in Disguise", "Mess of Blues" and "Ain't That Loving You, Baby" are all equally brilliant, IMO.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

I Love all the tracks on here so it's hard to choose, but because we can't choose all of them, I will go for Witchcraft.. Love it!!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Suspicious Minds

Post by Suspicious Minds »

I voted for Please Don't Drag That String Around. Could have been an A side too. One of my favourite B sides.

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

One of my all time favorite Elvis songs has always been (You're The) Devil In Disquise. Just below that would be It Hurts Me.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by jeanno »

I voted for LOVE LETTERS. I like the intimate mood.

Elvis Presley, "Polk Salad Annie" (July 14th 2023 rehearsals session, Culver City)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

shanebrown wrote:It Hurts Me, along with Tomorrow Is A Long Time, must rank as Elvis' greatest ballad performance during the wilderness years. It Hurts Me gets my vote. A masterpiece.
Would "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" rank as a ballad? I've always thought of it more as a slow folk/blues. In either case I agree, these are two of Elvis' best performances from the mid 60s period.

GIRL HAPPY BOY
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by GIRL HAPPY BOY »

i love this LP , one of my very first as a kid when i was about 12 years old
i love all the tracks !
i voted for: JUST TELL HER JIM SAID HELLO ! what a sweet sad song & fantastic vocal
sincerely
LIOR :wink:

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

It´s very hard to guess the winner here. 5-6 tracks have a good chance. Exciting!

//Björn

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Mike Eder »

You are right this is a great album, one of the first I owned back when I started collecting in 1982.

Mike Eder

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

dreambear wrote:It´s very hard to guess the winner here. 5-6 tracks have a good chance. Exciting!

//Björn
I have to quote myself for the first, and probably last time. It hurts me won comfortably and it is a masterpiece!

Thanks for voting//Björn

eric c
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

Re: Best track on "Elvis´ Gold records vol. 4" LP 1968

Post by eric c »

it hurts me.
a great track.

ELVIS ROCKS