Best track on "Kissin cousins" LP 1964

Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Best track on "Kissin´ cousins" LP 1964

Poll ended at Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:32 pm

Kissin' Cousins (No. 2)
4%
There's Gold in the Mountains
No votes
One Boy, Two Little Girls
4%
Catchin' on Fast
4%
Tender Feeling
32%
Anyone (Could Fall in Love With You)
11%
Once Is Enough
4%
Kissin' Cousins
4%
Echoes of love
11%
(It´s a) long lonely highway
29%

Total votes: 28

Topic author
dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Best track on "Kissin cousins" LP 1964

Post by dreambear »

Here we have a movie that I almost can´t watch. I hate those screaming, crazy women in the movie. The good news is that the soundtrack is a lot better than the picture. The sound on the record lefts something to be desired, but it would be worse in the near future)We have one real stinker. I can´t stand "Barefoot ballad". *Click* Eliminated! One more track has to go and I find "Smokey mountain boy" irritating with the whistling sound in the background. A couple of average tracks is to be found but also a few gems. The version on side two of the title track actually rocks hard. I like it! The bonus track "(It´s a) long lonely highway" is one of my favourites from the 1963 Nashville sessions, but I´m gonna choose a song from the soundtrack: "Tender feeling". What a beauty (almost like Elvis on the album cover :wink: !)

Vote on!

//Björn

Suspicious Minds
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Suspicious Minds »

I voted for Anyone. My other favourite track is Echoes of Love not from the soundtrack.

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

This is one of those soundtracks (and movies) that fans like to rag on.
I remember going to see this movie and buying the album back in '64.
Enjoyed both then and still do today.

My vote goes to "Tender Feeling." Also like "Smokey Mountain Boy," but that wasn't listed.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Appalling film? No, that would be Harum Scarum.

kuenzer
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kuenzer »

I don't care much about the film, but the soundtrack is beautifully done. It might not set the world on fire, but Anyone and Tender Feeling are little sixties pearls. Glad to see that this time, I'm not alone with my preferences here. The rest is ok to, including Barefoot Ballad (is that Hillbilly music?).

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I voted for "Tender Feeling" too.

Per

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Best track on "Kissin cousins" LP 1964

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

dreambear wrote:The sound on the record lefts something to be desired, but it would be worse in the near future)
Yeah. That's why we need Kevan or Sebastian to restore it. It would be a smashing success on FTD in my opinion.

I voted for "Tender Feeling" which I have loved ever since I heard it on "Elvis Sings Burning Love And Hits From His Movies Vol 2" about seven years ago...

The film? I have only seen it once, a couple of years ago, and it's downright insane! Most of Elvis's movies are just plain boring but this one is not, it's so weird it's funny. It's my favourite EP movie after "Blue Hawaii", "Live A Little" and "The Trouble With Girls."

Keith Richards, Jr.

Rob

Post by Rob »

dreambear wrote:Here we have a movie that I almost can´t watch. I hate those screaming, crazy women in the movie. The good news is that the soundtrack is a lot better than the picture.
Those darned Kittyhawks!
I wouldn't go as far as saying the soundtrack is a lot better than the picture. A little better, yes.

I'd have to be awfully bored to sit and watch this movie again. As long as there are speedbumps to drive back and forth over all day long, I won't be watching it again any time soon.

I'll vote, but will never publicly say for which one. You can't make me either!

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

dreambear wrote:Here we have a movie that I almost can´t watch.
I hate those screaming, crazy women in the movie.
When you think how much sheer talent Elvis had, wasn't it tragic that, during the years when he was still so young and in his prime, he wasted his time, effort and career on films and music like this.

Oh, what could have been.................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

shanebrown wrote:
ColinB wrote:
When you think how much sheer talent Elvis had, wasn't it tragic that, during the years when he was still so young and in his prime, he wasted his time, effort and career on films and music like this.

Oh, what could have been.................
Yep. And what a shame he appears to have done nothing about it except grumble a bit at studio sessions!
Yes.

I guess the public are partly to blame.

If we had boycotted the films and the cash had stopped rolling in...........

Of course, that did happen eventually.

Colin B

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I was 10 when Elvis made G.I. Blues. 19 when Change of Habit was released. I grew up during the movie years. Bought all the singles and albums. Saw all the movies at the time of their release at the movie theater. Even if I knew then what I know now, I'd do it all again. It was a graet time.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

JerryNodak wrote:I was 10 when Elvis made G.I. Blues. 19 when Change of Habit was released.
I grew up during the movie years.
Bought all the singles and albums.
Saw all the movies at the time of their release at the movie theater.
Even if I knew then what I know now, I'd do it all again.
It was a graet time.
But surely you must have thought at times:

"He can do so much better than this"

Colin B

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

No. I just sat back and enjoyed the movie.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I genuinely liked what became known as an "Elvis" movie (some more than others). I'm glad he made them.

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

shanebrown wrote:Appalling film and appalling album, in my opinion. By far the worst presley album to this point. Out of the soundtrack songs, Anyone is the only one I can listen to without cringing. Tender Feeling if it wasn't for that weird instrument that makes it sound like the record is slipping. The bonus track were no great stakes either!
The "weird" instrument sounds like a"harpsi chord" to me. I may be wrong. Not a masterpiece, but I actually prefer this album compared to "It happened to the world´s fair" and "GL Blues".

//Björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

shanebrown wrote:Even so, the public can't be totally to blame on this one I don't think. I know I have blamed the public for attending concerts in the later period and not complaining about them, but at that point Elvis was unwell and seemed to have got himself stuck in a rut and needed someone to kick start a revival in interest in himself and his career.

1964 is different. This is only 8 years after recording sessions where he worked through 30+ takes of Hound Dog. And only four years after albums such as His Hand In Mine and Elvis Is Back that he obviously took such pride in. Why on earth would someone with that much dilligence a couple of years ago just record this material without causing a fuss? It seems ludicrous. But this weird career pattern is, indeed, part of the Elvis attraction in many ways.
Perhaps you can blame his parents (mainly Gladys). Always be polite and do what you´ve been told to do...

//björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

By the way! This seems to be the most controversial album to date by Elvis. Some like it and some seems to hate it. I think that more people will have sort same opinons on some of the soundtracks that will show up here soon.

//Björn

LonnieBeale

Post by LonnieBeale »

I love LONG LONEY HIGHWAY and KISSIN COUSIN, two of my all time favorites. I also think CATCHING ON FAST, ONE BOY TWO LITTLE GIRLS, TENDER FEELING and ONCE IS ENOUGH are really great. all the others are OK.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

dreambear wrote:By the way! This seems to be the most controversial album to date by Elvis. Some like it and some seems to hate it. I think that more people will have sort same opinons on some of the soundtracks that will show up here soon.

//Björn
Yeah, just wait 'til you put "Harum Scarum" or Frankie & Johnny up. I won't even mention PHS.

Giovanni
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Giovanni »

I agree entirely with you Colin..................
Imagine Elvis touring in '64 and in the studio recording classic material????????????????????

Nonetheless, it wasn't to be.

Having said that I love the "Elvis" movie.
They are just a bit of fluff/fun, not to be taken seriously in an artistic sense at all.

I love sitting home on a Sunday afternoon with my 3 year little boy and watching an Elvis movie.

Actually, a few weeks ago here in Melbourne they have screened "Blue Hawaii" and "Fun In Acapulco" on a Sunday.

Cheers,

Elvis is King!
Giovanni I

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

JerryNodak wrote:
dreambear wrote:By the way! This seems to be the most controversial album to date by Elvis. Some like it and some seems to hate it. I think that more people will have sort same opinons on some of the soundtracks that will show up here soon.

//Björn
Yeah, just wait 'til you put "Harum Scarum" or Frankie & Johnny up. I won't even mention PHS.
Exactly the albums I had in mind :-). On the other hand, I think we will have a lot of different thoughts about "Clambake" and "Girl happy".Only time will tell.

/Björn

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

And the arrangements aren't different on the "Harum Scarun" album?

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

shanebrown wrote:Harem Scarum is, I agree, embarassing. Not sure about Frankie and Johnny. At least some care has gone into the album in that the arrangements are radically different to what we are used to (as with Fun in Acapulco) - the jazz/dixieland arrangements are some I enjoy very much. And I would argue that Please Don't Stop Loving Me, Beginners Luck, Hard Luck and the title number are all far better than the best of the Kissin Cousins soundtrack.
I´m with you about the arrangements, but Elvis sounds more bored on F & J than on Kissin´ cousins. Elvis didn´t like jazz that much. "City by night" on "Double trouble" is an example. It sounds like he hates the song.

//Björn

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

JerryNodak wrote:And the arrangements aren't different on the "Harum Scarun" album?
Good point Jerry. But again we have a singer that sounds uninterested on most of the songs. One exception is Animal instinct, where he actually attacks some of the words.

//Björn

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Harum Scarum is definitely a love it or hate it album. No middle ground.

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

shanebrown wrote:I think Elvis said he didn't understand jazz, not that he didn't like it. I would assume that Elvis was referring to bop rather than Dixieland or New Orleans jazz which is featured in F&J.

For many City By Night is the highlight of the Double Trouble soundtrack - me included. And he sounds as if he is having a blast on the New Orleans-tinted King Creole album. And a number of the singers he listened to used jazz phrasing - and this comes out in I Need Somebody To Lean On.

The arrangements on Harem Scarum are indeed different! But they don't work. Animal Instinct and So Close Yet So Far are both good numbers but the others just sound odd to my ears. Considering how well the themed arrangements of FIA and F&J worked, Harem Scarum is a disaster.
Perhaps F&J should be the next album I tackle in my series of reviews!
It´s possible that Elvis put it that way. Jazzy ballads like I need somebody to lean is a bit different story, so I guess you´re right about bop and all that stuff.

But it´s not fair to compare recordings before 1962. Elvis was incredibly professional in his early years and sang everything like it was a possible no 1 single hit. "Ito eats" is an example of Elvis doing a marvellous job on a sub par number. In the middle of the sixties, he could no longer disguise his dislikings of some songs. Compare the vocals on the Double trouble soundtrack to his may/june RCA recordings the same year (and I count in the less good sound quality).

On "City by night", Elvis sounds very much like he does on the "Easy come, easy go" numbers and I suspect that Elvuis didn´t care much for most of those songs.

//Björn