Best track on "Elvis´ golden records" LP 1958

Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Best track on "Elvis golden records" LP 1958

Poll ended at Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:03 pm

Hound Dog
21%
All Shook Up
8%
Heartbreak Hotel
4%
Jailhouse Rock
13%
Too Much
13%
Don`t Be Cruel
17%
That`s When Your Heartaches Begin
4%
Love Me Tender
4%
Treat Me Nice
8%
Anyway You Want Me
8%

Total votes: 24

Topic author
dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Best track on "Elvis´ golden records" LP 1958

Post by dreambear »

Here we have a huge problem, as it is a 14 track album with classics all over. My decision is to remove 3 tracks that´s possible to vote on his earlier albums (Love me, Loving you and Teddy bear). So now it´s one left to remove and my choice is "I want you, I need you, I love", which stands a bit in the shadows compared to Elvis´ other singles of the time.

But my favourite track of the other ones, which is a horrible thing to choose, must be the great "Hound dog". All pieces falls together here. Not only Elvis´ marvellous singing, but also Scotty´s solos and the drumming of Fontana. Still a good song to scare the sh*t out of people over 75 years :wink:

And, I´m ready to some protests because the exclusions.....

Vote on!

//Björn

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I voted for "Too Much" because it often doesn't get the attention it deserves (imo), and I love Scotty's solo.

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

JerryNodak wrote:I voted for "Too Much" because it often doesn't get the attention it deserves (imo), and I love Scotty's solo.
Yes! That solo is really crazy. Wonder if he could copy it himself?

//björn

Post by Guest »

My vote goes to "That`s when your heartaches begin", but I think "Love me tender" should have been out instead of "I want you, I need you, I love you" :wink:

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

elvisa wrote:My vote goes to "That`s when your heartaches begin", but I think "Love me tender" should have been out instead of "I want you, I need you, I love you" :wink:
I´m not a "Love me tender" fan myself, but I thought that the BIG mob should come if I exluded that track. I prefer the 1968 version of LMT.

Regards//Björn

Post by Guest »

dreambear wrote:
elvisa wrote:My vote goes to "That`s when your heartaches begin", but I think "Love me tender" should have been out instead of "I want you, I need you, I love you" :wink:
I´m not a "Love me tender" fan myself, but I thought that the BIG mob should come if I exluded that track. I prefer the 1968 version of LMT.

Regards//Björn
No worries. The big mob cares about Love Me Tender about as much as Elvis did in the seventies. However, the big mob will gather if you should ever dare to exclude I Want You I Need You I Love You instead of Treat Me Nice.

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Treat me nice should be.."treated nice" in my opinion. A pop song that I rather like...even better than Don´t be cruel.

//Björn

Post by Guest »

dreambear wrote:Treat me nice should be.."treated nice" in my opinion. A pop song that I rather like...even better than Don´t be cruel.

//Björn
Maybe, but how did you manage to vote twice? ("Treat me twice"?)

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Kuenzer wrote:
dreambear wrote:Treat me nice should be.."treated nice" in my opinion. A pop song that I rather like...even better than Don´t be cruel.

//Björn
Maybe, but how did you manage to vote twice? ("Treat me twice"?)
:lol:

Very funny, but I actually voted on Hound dog. But perhaps "I want you, I vote you, I need you" was the winner if it was included...//Björn

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I found it almost impossible to vote but finally went with "Jailhouse Rock", as this is the track I’m most into right now of the ones listed.

Per

Post by Guest »

My favorite one on this album: Too Much

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

After a hard fight, Hound dog is the winner here! Not that surprising..

//Björn

GIRL HAPPY BOY
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by GIRL HAPPY BOY »

Oh boy oh boy...what a great LP , maybe in the top 3 best elvis' LPs
every track is a hit !
i vote for HOUND DOG ! this one was my first LP and HOUND DOG was the first one to hear so i pick this classic
others 2: THATS WHEN YOUR HEARTACHES BEGAN & HEARTBREAK HOTEL
sincerely
LIOR

Inigo Montoya

Re: Best track on "Elvis´ golden records" LP 1958

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Pure gold, start to finish. It's not very meaningful to pick the 'best' from such a group, but if I was pushed to do so I'd probably name "Jailhouse Rock" just because I've long thought it's perhaps the perfect rock 'n' roll song. There may have been nothing like hearing that opening to "Heartbreak Hotel" back in 1956, as it cut through the mostly-whitebread pop sound of the time, but "Jailhouse Rock" took what Elvis had learned within that first year of fame and fortune and amped it to the max.

It's been a long time since I read it, but I'm pretty sure it was regarding this song that Leiber and Stoller were said to have taken a few minutes out of a session to write the song...if so, the results are doubly amazing. Elvis never really duplicated the sound of this 1957 classic and it remains a timeless and instantly recognizable standard from its iconic opening to the long fade-out.

This whole LP, though, is amazing from start to finish. The Sun sessions may have become the most lauded and ultimately proven the most influential, but herein, on this collection of the first two years of RCA tracks, lies the reason Elvis became ELVIS.

RickMen
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by RickMen »

Inigo - love reading all your reviews, reminds me of similar events in my childhood, keep them coming.

JerryNodak

Re:

Post by JerryNodak »

dreambear wrote:

Regards//Björn
Me too!

bajo
Registered for: 21 years

Post by bajo »

Yes, this is a problem album! But, still I fell in love with it from the first time I heard it! That opening track simply is not only the album's best, it's one of my all time favourite Elvis recordings. So it's got to be Hound Dog!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

10 high quality tracks, a few are pure Rock N Roll brilliance. It is toss up between a few of them for the ranking of "best track."

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Pete Dube »

This is the album that made me a fan back in '71. Over the years I've sometimes wondered why bonafide chart hits such as I Was The One; My Baby Left Me; and Playing For Keeps were omitted in favor of the non-hit That's When Your Heartaches Begin.

Love Me should've been in the poll. It's a classic performance!

Topic author
dreambear

Post by dreambear »

Pete Dube wrote:This is the album that made me a fan back in '71. Over the years I've sometimes wondered why bonafide chart hits such as I Was The One; My Baby Left Me; and Playing For Keeps were omitted in favor of the non-hit That's When Your Heartaches Begin.

Love Me should've been in the poll. It's a classic performance!
Yes it´s a classic performance, but it was included on the "Elvis" LP poll. You know the limits... :cry:

//björn

eric c
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

Post by eric c »

growing up...THIS was my favorite elvis record.
i would wear my walkman going to school and coming home...listening to my cassette tape of this great lp.

heartbreak hotel...his 1st #1 hit....his 1st gold record.

ELVIS ROCKS