Off Topic Messages

Re: and now it really begins ...

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Well stated Mike C!

Re: and now it really begins ...

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 pm

elvisfan51 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 pm wrote:Well stated Mike C!


Thank you very much!

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 am

Mike C on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 pm wrote: He won the electoral college majority by winning the most voters in each of the 50 state races. Hence he won the majority of American votes in those state races. That is is the truth and how we have done it since 1789.


Just stop before you hurt yourself. That's not even how the electoral college works. He won 304 electoral votes of a possible 531... he won in SOME of the states not all of them! There is ZERO equivalent between what you're saying "the most voters" and "majority of American votes" and the truth, which is that he won the most electoral votes, but that he lost the majority of individual votes. Why do you keep lying?

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:36 am

Mike C on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:53 pm wrote:Deflection and distraction are hallmarks of the current administration, so it's no surprise to see it by a Trumpist here.


Hey, Doc, I am not a Trumpist! I am a Reaganite.



32 pages of this topic tell us something different.

You need to post less, and pay more attention to the facts some of our highly educated members, like RyanD and NumberEight, are trying to get across.



GibbersGanfa on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm wrote:
Mike C on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 pm wrote:He won the electoral college majority by winning the most voters in each of the 50 state races. Hence he won the majority of American votes in those state races. That is is the truth and how we have done it since 1789.


Just stop before you hurt yourself. That's not even how the electoral college works. He won 304 electoral votes of a possible 531... he won in SOME of the states not all of them! There is ZERO equivalent between what you're saying "the most voters" and "majority of American votes" and the truth, which is that he won the most electoral votes, but that he lost the majority of individual votes. Why do you keep lying?



This is what Trumpists do.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 am

Scarre on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 pm wrote:
mike edwards66 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:05 pm wrote:
NumberEight on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 pm wrote:If I understand you correctly, you're saying that Trump won by securing a majority in the electoral college, not by winning the popular vote. So you agree that the majority of Americans didn't vote for him?


If I may. Trump won under the voting system that is actually in use. And he won big under the voting system actually in use.

The 'popular vote' doesn't matter. It's there to be grasped at, like straws, but it doesn't matter.



If I may...that isn't even close to what Mike C said to me. Here is a quote;
"Not all Americans are like Trump. But they (Sic) majority voted for him..."

Do you understand what he said, or do you need further explanation?



You may. Well, I was really addressing NumberEight's point, Scarre. But while you're here, yes Mike C is correct. There was only one election, and Trump won it by a mile, with a majority. I feel as though I could explain this to you forever, and you still wouldn't get it. They don't use the 'popular vote'.



RyanD wrote:It's a basic fact along the lines of water is wet.

Water causes things to become wet. Water, in and of itself, is not wet. In the same way, you wouldn't say 'fire is on fire'.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am

GibbersGanfa on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:11 pm wrote:
Mike C on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 pm wrote: He won the electoral college majority by winning the most voters in each of the 50 state races. Hence he won the majority of American votes in those state races. That is is the truth and how we have done it since 1789.


Just stop before you hurt yourself. That's not even how the electoral college works. He won 304 electoral votes of a possible 531... he won in SOME of the states not all of them! There is ZERO equivalent between what you're saying "the most voters" and "majority of American votes" and the truth, which is that he won the most electoral votes, but that he lost the majority of individual votes. Why do you keep lying?


Uhh, actually the total number of electoral college votes is 538 which reflects the sum of the 435 Representatives in the House plus the 100 Senators in the Senate plus 3 electoral college votes awarded to the District of Columbia. A person needs 270 total electoral college votes to win the White House.

:facep: Again, you are focusing on the the total popular vote which has no bearing in how the electoral college voters are awarded.

Tump won 304 to Clinton's 227 which is a solid defat. 7 electoral college voters were faithless. And he won 30 states to Clinton's 20 states plus the District of Columbia. In both cases, it is a majority. Nuff said. Just accept the truth and move on.
Last edited by Mike C on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:06 am

drjohncarpenter on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm wrote:
Mike C on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:53 pm wrote:Deflection and distraction are hallmarks of the current administration, so it's no surprise to see it by a Trumpist here.


Hey, Doc, I am not a Trumpist! I am a Reaganite.




You need to post less, and pay more attention to the facts some of our highly educated members.



Doc, you might to take your own advice and listen to wise men like mike edwards 66. As President Ronald Reagan used to say:



I think that says it all here given your postings in this thread.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 am

Massive victory tonight for Ralph Northam in Virginia, illustrating an even higher degree of backlash towards Donald Trump than anyone expected. Northam's margins are showing double digit movement away from Republicans and toward Democrats in many counties throughout the state. This is a clear sign that there is a wave election coming in 2018.

Ed Gillespie ran a dirty, slimy campaign right out of the Trump playbook (with strong endorsements from Trump) and it failed, bigly. Virginia voters rejected race baiting politics.

The Virginia outcome has got to make many Republicans nervous for their re-election bids in 2018 and is going to make the Republican agenda even harder to pass in Congress as many candidates are likely to view Trump as an albatross on their re-election chances.

Nice job, Virginia!

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

mike edwards66 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:44 am wrote:
Scarre on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 pm wrote:
mike edwards66 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:05 pm wrote:
NumberEight on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 pm wrote:If I understand you correctly, you're saying that Trump won by securing a majority in the electoral college, not by winning the popular vote. So you agree that the majority of Americans didn't vote for him?


If I may. Trump won under the voting system that is actually in use. And he won big under the voting system actually in use.

The 'popular vote' doesn't matter. It's there to be grasped at, like straws, but it doesn't matter.



If I may...that isn't even close to what Mike C said to me. Here is a quote;
"Not all Americans are like Trump. But they (Sic) majority voted for him..."

Do you understand what he said, or do you need further explanation?



You may. Well, I was really addressing NumberEight's point, Scarre. But while you're here, yes Mike C is correct. There was only one election, and Trump won it by a mile, with a majority. I feel as though I could explain this to you forever, and you still wouldn't get it. They don't use the 'popular vote'.



RyanD wrote:It's a basic fact along the lines of water is wet.

Water causes things to become wet. Water, in and of itself, is not wet. In the same way, you wouldn't say 'fire is on fire'.


I get it just fine, mike edwards66, but it seems you and Mike C doesn´t. Evereyone here knows he won the election...but the majority of Americans did not vote for him, and that is exactly what Mike C wrote.
Would it help if I quoted it once again? Probably not, but just for the fun of it;

"Not all Americans are like Trump. But they (Sic) majority voted for him..."

Re: and now it really begins ...

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:10 am

And in the news on Veteran's Day:


Trump says he believes Putin's election meddling denials
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/11/politics/president-donald-trump-vladimir-putin-election-meddling/index.html




And some responses:


David Corn
@DavidCornDC

CIA chief Mike Pompeo: Putin attacked 2016 election.
DNI Dan Coats: Putin attacked 2016 election.
FBI director Christopher Wray: Putin attacked 2016 election.
NSA head Mike Rogers: Putin attacked 2016 election.
Putin: I did not attack 2016 election.

Trump: I believe Putin.

6:33 AM - 11 Nov 2017
https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/929356451784658944




Sally Yates
@SallyQYates

POTUS embraces Putin yet again telling world he believes former KGB agent’s denial of attack on our election over our own Intel public servants, calling them “political hacks.” Disturbing and shamelessly unpatriotic, on Veterans Day no less.

9:38 AM - 11 Nov 2017
https://twitter.com/SallyQYates/status/929403087864942592




Every day it's something else.

Need I remind anyone, this is not normal.

But I have faith in our democracy.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am

I hate to say this, but Australian federal politics is now nearly as embarrassing as the US.
We've had multiple federal MPs forced to resign because they are also citizens of another country, including the deputy prime minister. Today one of the replacement MPs quit his party or was dumped (his dysfunctional party is One Nation - the type of people that support Trump) within one hour of being sworn in.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 am

Thank goodness for Roy Moore and Alabama. I was beginning to think Missouri was the most backward State in the Union.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:42 am

MaryAnn on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm wrote:Thank goodness for Roy Moore and Alabama. I was beginning to think Missouri was the most backward State in the Union.



If informed, mature and graceful citizens like you live there, that simply cannot be possible.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 am

drjohncarpenter on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 pm wrote:
MaryAnn on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm wrote:Thank goodness for Roy Moore and Alabama. I was beginning to think Missouri was the most backward State in the Union.



If informed, mature and graceful citizens like you live there, that simply cannot be possible.


Thank you for that nice compliment. I appreciate it.

There are informed, mature and graceful citizens in Alabama, too, and I hope they make their voices heard.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm

And in today's news ...


Over a July dinner with Oracle CEO Safra Catz — who has been mentioned as a candidate for several potential administration jobs — McMaster bluntly trashed his boss, said the sources, four of whom told BuzzFeed News they heard about the exchange directly from Catz. The top national security official dismissed the president variously as an “idiot” and a “dope” with the intelligence of a “kindergartner,” the sources said.

[snip]

McMaster’s allegedly dismissive comments are the latest suggestion that at least some of Trump’s senior-most aides see their jobs as containing a president who isn’t up to the task.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/sources-mcmaster-mocked-trumps-intelligence-in-a-private




Wow. But not a surprise.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:17 am

And just when you think he must have reached rock bottom he goes lower still. Retweeting anti muslim videos from a British white nationalists' group?! The President of the USA?! The world watches in absolute horror. The spin given by Sarah Sanders (it doesn't really matter if the video is authentic) leaves me speechless.
Last edited by Pink&Black on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am

Pink&Black on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:17 pm wrote:And just when you think he must have reached rock bottom he goes lower still. Retweeting anti muslim videos from a British white nationalist's group?! The President of the USA?! The world watches in absolute horror. The spin given by Sarah Sanders (it doesn't really matter if the video is authentic) leaves me speechless.



Every day is a new low. Remember: this is not normal. But I have faith in our democracy.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:44 am

Pink&Black on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:17 am wrote:And just when you think he must have reached rock bottom he goes lower still. Retweeting anti muslim videos from a British white nationalist's group?! The President of the USA?! The world watches in absolute horror. The spin given by Sarah Sanders (it doesn't really matter if the video is authentic) leaves me speechless.


Every day you think he can't get more obnoxious and stupid, but he does.
His socially inept comments the other day while giving awards to two native Americans were just further examples.
Trump is also gloating over the firing of a media person for alleged sexual misconduct. I agree, all those facing multiple sexual misconduct allegations should be stood down. Bye Trump

Re: and now it really begins ...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 am

-
Last edited by OnStage55 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:08 am

I’m at the point where I don’t find anything about the man funny.

The fact that this man is the President of the United States almost makes me physically ill.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 pm

MaryAnn on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 pm wrote:I’m at the point where I don’t find anything about the man funny.

The fact that this man is the President of the United States almost makes me physically ill.



In today's news:


Kyle Griffin‏
@kylegriffin1

Brendan Cox, the widower of the murdered MP Jo Cox, on Trump’s Britain First retweets: “What his track record shows is that this isn’t a mistake, it’s a strategy. The impact of this strategy is to legitimise those driven by hatred.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/29/donald-trump-britain-first-hate-best-response-tolerance


5:10 AM - 30 Nov 2017
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/936220863778770944

Re: and now it really begins ...

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:54 am

And now ... huge, huge news today:


Michael Flynn Pleads Guilty to Lying to the F.B.I. and Will Cooperate With Russia Inquiry
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/us/politics/michael-flynn-guilty-russia-investigation.html


ABC News
@ABC

JUST IN: @BrianRoss on @ABC News Special Report: Michael Flynn promised "full cooperation to the Mueller team" and is prepared to testify that as a candidate, Donald Trump "directed him to make contact with the Russians." http://abcn.ws/2AhU3Iq

8:10 AM · Dec 1, 2017
https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/936628560374071296


ABC News Politics
@ABCPolitics

MORE: Michael Flynn "is prepared to testify...against Pres. Trump, against members of the Trump family, and others in the White House," @BrianRoss reports. http://abcn.ws/2AhU3Iq

8:17 AM · Dec 1, 2017
https://mobile.twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/936630384145641472




The dominos begin to fall, barely a year since the U.S. election.

Our democracy is holding tight against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:26 am

You're correct, Doc... Every day is a new low. Remember: this is not normal. But I have faith in our democracy.

The dominos begin to fall, barely a year since the U.S. election...

Critics react to Trump's tweet on firing Flynn
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/02/politics/ ... index.html

Re: and now it really begins ...

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:30 am

The dominos begin to fall, barely a year since the U.S. election.

Our democracy is holding tight against all enemies, foreign and domestic

I admire your optimism, but the problem is much more deep-seated than just ridding yourselves of Trump/Putin.

The passage through the Senate yesterday of sweeping tax cuts for the 1% and a few crumbs for everyone else, is a reminder of the catastrophic 'Citizens vs United' decision by the Supreme Court in 2011 that allowed the U.S political system to be utterly swamped by corporate money in an unprecedented fashion. That I humbly suggest (as someone who lived in & loved my time in the U.S during the far-off 1980s) is your real enemy! Although Trump of course is a very real symptom of the sickness that afflicts the West today.

Far from "draining the swamp", the swamp just got bigger and ordinary Americans are going to find themselves paying more for basic services that used to be covered by Federal and State government budgets - to say nothing of a State Department gutted - is truly terrifying for the loss of institutional knowledge, and everything that that entails.

Here in New Zealand, we just got rid of crony capitalism after 30 long, long years, but by God, the right - backed by wealthy corporate interests - are taking a leaf out of the Republican play-book by making the ride as rough as possible and attempting to trash established conventions and the institutions that provide stability. That's why those of us who live outside the U.S take an interest in your political affairs - it's like looking into the future.

I wish you all the best.

Re: and now it really begins ...

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 am

Double post. Got carried away! :wink:
Last edited by Gillybee on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.