Flynn under growing pressure over Russia contacts ...

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike C
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Flynn under growing pressure over Russia contacts ...

Post by Mike C »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And here we go, as even Republicans begin to investigate:

First House Republican signs bill creating committee to investigate Russia, election
http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/320087-hacking-investigation-bill-gets-first-republican-cosponsor

All the Trumpers who cannot accept what is happening here do not understand America is a democracy, not a dictatorship.
Haha. Yeah, Trump is a dictator! When did he sign an order interning 120,000 Japanese-Americans? Oh wait, that was Democrat FDR.

This "so-called" Republican is a RINO who, as the article notes, was a long-time Democrat. So no surprise he is supporting the bill.

By all means conduct an investigation. $100 says nothing will be found showing coordination between the "hacking of the election" by Russia and the Trump campaign. Care to take my bet?

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
Mike C wrote:Unless Flynn lied under oath to one of the agencies, he has not committed a crime. The President and Vice President lost trust in Flynn for one reason or another. This happens in administrations and people leave, so what is the big deal?

Despite all the media assertions from the New York Times and the Washington, there remains no evidence that Russians hacked the presidential election and did in consultation with members of the Trump campaign.

And, again, one wonders why President Obama didn't take actions against the Russians back in September when the allegations first surfaced?
Did I say he committed a crime? (In case this isn't clear enough, this is a rhetorical question, of course I didn't.)

Answer. The. Questions. Why would Trump keep Pence in the dark for two weeks after being briefed on Flynn's potential vulnerabilities? Why would Trump not tell Pence that Flynn had been lying? Why did Trump keep Flynn on even after being briefed?

You're confusing topics. I'm not surprised you can't keep up. Russia did not "hack the election." They hacked the Democratic National Committee and released private emails through Wikileaks to affect public opinion leading up to it. The CIA has briefed key officials on this, it is no longer in dispute.

Before you go banging your face on the keyboard, stop. I did not say that Hillary Clinton lost because of the leaks. She was a **** candidate. But regardless of whether it played a factor or not, that the Russians would attempt to do it at all to interfere with our election is reason enough for any President, to take action.

Since you can't keep up, I'll remind you that Obama did take action once he had enough information from intelligence agencies to justify action. A President shouldn't act on mere rumors. He put in place economic sanctions... the same sanctions in question that Flynn discussed with a Russian ambassador and lied about.

This is why we question why Trump waited to tell Pence. The FBI had clear records of the call between Flynn & Russia. That Flynn lied about it happening was not a rumor when Trump was briefed about it. It was indisputable evidence and Trump, if he had any of the dignity becoming of a President, should have acted on it and at the very least told Pence as soon as he had the verified evidence from the FBI.

Instead it took two weeks and a media leak for Trump to do anything, and only then under extreme pressure from both the left AND the right.
According to Julian Assange, the emails leaked by Wikileaks did not come from the Russian government. It likely came from a DNC staffer. The CIA report is not conclusive.

As to your questions, I have no idea since I am not in Trump's head or privy to his discussions. Can you answer your questions?

So, the FBI records are clear that Flynn and the Russian diplomat spoke the day Obama imposed read the sanctions? Have you read the transcript? Do you know what was said? The leakers have refused to give the press transcripts so it is speculation what was said. The recent reports by the NYT and The Washington Post are nothing burgers.

No offense, but the Flynn matter is not Watergate no matter how hard the Dems and the media (but I repeat myself) try to spin it.

Again, why are you upset that Trump refused to answer the press' question with all details? Remember, the transcripts of the Flynn and ambassador calls are classified and it is illegal to leak them to the press.

Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
Mike C wrote:Again, why are you upset that Trump refused to answer the press' question with all details?
Please point out to me where in any of my previous posts I said this or even talked about Trump not answering the press' questions. Go ahead. I'll wait.
See above when I asked who cares regarding the recent Fox News report.
Who cares? Well first you have to stop distracting from the real story.
I will ask once again. What is you concern about the resignation of Flynn? And do you have any evidence to support you concern?

Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
Mike C wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:
Mike C wrote:Again, why are you upset that Trump refused to answer the press' question with all details?
Please point out to me where in any of my previous posts I said this or even talked about Trump not answering the press' questions. Go ahead. I'll wait.
I will ask once again. What is you concern about the resignation of Flynn? And do you have any evidence to support you concern?
You mean when in literally the next sentence I said "The story is not that Trump didn't tell the media..."?

Again, please point out to me where in any of my posts I said that I was upset that Trump refused to answer the press' question with all the details. Go ahead. I'm still waiting.
Then why don't answer my other question. I cannot understand what bothers you about the Flynn resignation which is the main thrust of this topic.

Elvis as Danny Fisher

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by MaryAnn »

It is critical at this moment that we do not allow ourselves to be distracted by Trump's diversionary tactics.

Our focus needs to stay squarely on the role Russia played in our recent election. Members of the appropriate Congressional committees need to review ALL of the evidence -- and follow it no matter where it leads.

Formation of a Select Committee to look into the Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election is totally appropriate. This is cyber-warfare and it poses a direct threat to our democracy. By comparison, Watergate was a walk in the park.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MaryAnn wrote:It is critical at this moment that we do not allow ourselves to be distracted by Trump's diversionary tactics.

Our focus needs to stay squarely on the role Russia played in our recent election. Members of the appropriate Congressional committees need to review ALL of the evidence -- and follow it no matter where it leads.

Formation of a Select Committee to look into the Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election is totally appropriate. This is cyber-warfare and it poses a direct threat to our democracy. By comparison, Watergate was a walk in the park.
This.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
Mike C wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:
Mike C wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:
You mean when in literally the next sentence I said "The story is not that Trump didn't tell the media..."?

Again, please point out to me where in any of my posts I said that I was upset that Trump refused to answer the press' question with all the details. Go ahead. I'm still waiting.
Then why don't answer my other question. I cannot understand what bothers you about the Flynn resignation which is the main thrust of this topic.
It's not that you can't understand, it's that you refuse to.

I have made clear my concerns multiple times, but if you simply must have it repeated in simple plain English, here you go: The controversy over Flynn shows evidence of mistrust and division within the White House itself. Even a Trump supporter could see the problem with that. Trump cannot begin to implement his policies (e.g. extreme vetting, the wall, etc.) properly if his staff are lying to one another and they cannot trust each other.

Again, I am still waiting for you to point out where in any of my posts I said that I was upset that Trump refused to answer the press' questions. If you cannot, please apologize and concede that point for putting words in my mouth.
There are always divisions in a White House. So, I honestly don't think it is a big issue. But time will tell. He has even been in office 30 days!

As to your other, I have already addressed it above. It was your response to my reaction to the Fox News story that Trump had been briefed in full about the contents of the Flynn calls but would not go into details last his press conference. If you cannot see the import of you response, you are on your own.

Let's just call the whole thing off and get back to Elvis and his music.

Elvis as Danny Fisher

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Mike C wrote:According to Julian Assange, the emails leaked by Wikileaks did not come from the Russian government. It likely came from a DNC staffer. The CIA report is not conclusive.
Nope.

Malcolm Nance - U.S. Counterterrorism Intelligence Officer -->

ImageImageImage

FatherJack1980
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by FatherJack1980 »

Rich_TCB wrote:
Mike C wrote:According to Julian Assange, the emails leaked by Wikileaks did not come from the Russian government. It likely came from a DNC staffer. The CIA report is not conclusive.
Nope.

Is he wearing the State Ensign of Belgium as a pin in his jacket?

(and a side note: Interesting that Alec Baldwin has often worn the Russian flag as a pin when playing Trump in SNL; and that the Russian flag was very visible at Trumps inauguration - and that Trump did not wear a USA pin at his inauguration, whereas Mike Pence did --- food for thought)

Harry S. Truman: The buck stops here

Donald Duck Trump: "I don't take responsibility at all"

"I do want always corruption" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 22 Nov 2019 :wtf: :facep:

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 6 Nov 2012

"Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III." ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 31 Aug 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydWzTnD7Fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotiVvyS1yk

And this is a-not-to-be-missed-instant-classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSE-XoVKaXg

"Elvis has left the house" :facep: ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 16 Nov 2018

- he's clearly a patriot that respects the flag and a very stable genius with a large a-brain(!). I'm of course being sarcastic because Donald Trump is a moron.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Rich_TCB wrote:
Nope.

Nance's claim has been questioned by serval people including the following

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/09/a-clinton-fan-manufactured-fake-news-that-msnbc-personalities-spread-to-discredit-wikileaks-docs/

Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Deluded.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Trump is now imagining incidents in other countries:

It gets back to what has already been said in this thread. He hears/mishears something and repeats it with no care for whether he's accurate or not. To recognise how truly bizarre this is, you just have to try to imagine any other politician doing it. You can't. It really is time for his supporters to stop giving him a pass on this kind of crap. Have higher expectations. Demand accuracy. Don't simply laugh off wilful and habitual lies. If you want this guy to actually be the President that you hope he will be, start making him realise that there are consequences if he doesn't take the job seriously.

FatherJack1980

Post by FatherJack1980 »

TJ wrote:Trump is now imagining incidents in other countries:

It gets back to what has already been said in this thread. He hears/mishears something and repeats it with no care for whether he's accurate or not. To recognise how truly bizarre this is, you just have to try to imagine any other politician doing it. You can't. It really is time for his supporters to stop giving him a pass on this kind of crap. Have higher expectations. Demand accuracy. Don't simply laugh off wilful and habitual lies. If you want this guy to actually be the President that you hope he will be, start making him realise that there are consequences if he doesn't take the job seriously.
Aftonbladet in Sweden even has a list of what happened in Sweden that day, in English, for President Trump (I always feel like I'm in an alternative universe when I say/write that): http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/Vn17J/in-english-this-happened-in-sweden-friday-night-mr-president

And here's a direct link to Swedes making fun of President Trump (man, if I were a Trump supporter I would be embarrased): https://twitter.com/hashtag/lastnightinsweden

But what Aftonbladet failed to do, was to present that in a video form - as President Trump can barely read (seriously)

....and completely unrelated; but I thought this was a pretty good article: http://thefabgab.co/lists/next-time-someone-tells-you-obama-was-a-bad-president-show-them-this

"I do want always corruption" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 22 Nov 2019 :wtf: :facep:

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 6 Nov 2012

"Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III." ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 31 Aug 2013

And this is a-not-to-be-missed-instant-classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSE-XoVKaXg

- he's clearly a patriot that respects the flag and a very stable genius with a large a-brain(!). I'm of course being sarcastic because Donald Trump is a moron.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

The leader of the free world ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Maybe he meant "Sudan." Whatever... :roll:

FatherJack1980

Post by FatherJack1980 »

"Sweden demands answers from Trump over mystery refugee incident"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sweden-donald-trump-mystery-refugee-incident-terrorism-germany-kellyanne-conway-a7588901.html

Donald "Birther" Trump is a national embarrassment

Trevell
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Trevell »

He never said anything about a terrorist attack and the phrase "They took in large numbers, they’re having problems like they never thought possible" clearly shows that he was talking about the problems that european countries are having with the large number of migrants they are taking in.

How the media manage to spin the whole thing into" Trump said that there was a terrorist attack yesterday in Sweden" is beyond me...

“You look at what’s happening we’ve got to keep our country safe. You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden, They took in large numbers, they’re having problems like they never thought possible,” he said.

In reference to the previous nights:
What's happening in Sweden is NOT NORMAL. Stay vigilant.

Flippy...Real Flippy...

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The leader of the free world ...
No longer does simply holding the office give one that status. He is no leader.

I doubt he has ever led so much as Grace at dinner, and if it were, it would be something like... "Bless us, O Lord, and these, Thy gifts, which are just incredible. You know, look at this. All this food on the table, how did I ever get all this? You know, I bought this table 15 years ago. Solid gold. Tremendous. I made one of the best deal I ever made on this table, people are saying. A great deal. And that's what I do. Make great deals. Isn't that right? You know I'm right. I mean God created all this gold, and now it's mine. That's how great of a deal I got. Amen."
So you are supporting him for 2020, right? :D

Elvis as Danny Fisher

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Trevell wrote:He never said anything about a terrorist attack and the phrase "They took in large numbers, they’re having problems like they never thought possible" clearly shows that he was talking about the problems that european countries are having with the large number of migrants they are taking in.

How the media manage to spin the whole thing into" Trump said that there was a terrorist attack yesterday in Sweden" is beyond me...

“You look at what’s happening we’ve got to keep our country safe. You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden, They took in large numbers, they’re having problems like they never thought possible,” he said.

In reference to the previous nights:
What's happening in Sweden is NOT NORMAL. Stay vigilant.

Sorry, your post does nothing to excuse Trump's lazy language. The context was clear. Trump's argument is about the threat of terrorism associated with refugees. When he says "look at what's happening last night in Sweden... Sweden", it should be possible to assume that there was indeed some kind of significant incident "last night" in Sweden. There wasn't. If the guy in the above video is correct and Trump really meant "I watched a show last night which talked about a growing rape problem in Sweden" that is not the same thing. But hey, why require the President to be accurate and clear?

As for the supposed rape epidemic, that seems to be a bit flimsy too. More alt-right exaggeration/manipulation of facts.

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/2/19/14662244/trump-sweden-terrorist-attack-fake
Canadian reporter Doug Saunders rigorously investigated the narrative, and concluded that it “falls apart as soon as you speak to anyone knowledgeable in Sweden.” Official Swedish statistics do indeed show a high rate of rape, but that’s because Swedish law has an extremely expansive definition of what qualifies as rape under the law. Sweden has a higher official rape rate, in short, because its police are better able to investigate and prosecute sexual violence.

“What we’re hearing is a very, very extreme exaggeration based on a few isolated events, and the claim that it’s related to immigration is more or less not true at all,” Jerzy Sarnecki, a criminologist at Stockholm University, told Saunders.

What it boils down to is that Trump watches television and/or browses the Internet, half recalls what he's seen and then repeats unchecked "facts" to cheering crowds. It's too bad that you are happy with that. You shouldn't be.

MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

New Security Advisor, Lt. General McMaster, is a MAJOR upgrade over Flynn.

If there are enough people of character, integrity, and experience around Trump, we may survive.

FatherJack1980

Post by FatherJack1980 »

MaryAnn wrote:we may survive.
Not quite :wink: . Remember Trump thinks that global warming is a Chinese hoax

So if we aren't past the point of no return in regards of climate change, then we most certainly will be with this man in charge of the most powerful nation on this planet; so that spells certain doom for our children and their children.

But is it true what says in this article: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/people-think-there-is-something-weird-about-melanias-body-language-in-this-clip-of-her-and-trump/ar-AAn7JIe?li=BBoPWjQ

Is the guy, only a month into his first term of four years, starting to campaign for the 2020 presidential election??! Surely that can't be correct?