Off Topic Messages

Remastered Steptoe episodes

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:11 am

For those use to the poor quality, grainy prints of the early "Steptoe and Son" episodes, these independently restored versions [sourced from the official BBC DVD's] are quite the revelation!

Here is just one example of the marvellous restoration job they have done.
It's an episode from Series 3 [1964] featuring the brilliant Leonard Rossiter, who would also later appear in another equally memorable 1972 episode "The Desperate Hours".

Well worth checking this guy's channel out. It really is a feast of delight for lovers of vintage British TV.

Special Bonus: A restored Shadows promo! What more could you possibly want?! :lol:

Re: Remastered Steptoe episodes

Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 pm

For those that're not aware, Steptoe And Son: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steptoe_and_Son was the inspiration of the US classic sitcom, Sanford And Son: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_and_Son

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:11 am

elvis4life wrote:For those that're not aware, Steptoe And Son: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steptoe_and_Son was the inspiration of the US classic sitcom, Sanford And Son: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_and_Son

For a bonus point, does anyone know the full connection between Steptoe and Son and the Beatles.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:29 am

Quality from t he BBC

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:33 am

The xonnection is Wildred Bramble in "A Hard Days
Night"

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
elvis4life wrote:For those that're not aware, Steptoe And Son: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steptoe_and_Son was the inspiration of the US classic sitcom, Sanford And Son: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_and_Son

For a bonus point, does anyone know the full connection between Steptoe and Son and the Beatles.

keninlincs wrote:Quality from t he BBC

Here, here, Ken.

Though, it's a disgrace it's left to independent folk like "Appzzzman returns" [the YouTube uploader] to restore such classic TV shows.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:55 pm

For a full bonus point, I'm gonna need the full connection.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 am

mike edwards66 wrote:For a full bonus point, I'm gonna need the full connection.

Wilfred Brambell's 1971 Beatles tribute single, "Time Marches On"?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:00 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:For a full bonus point, I'm gonna need the full connection.

Good effort. For the full connection you're gonna need Harry H.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:16 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

They both appeared on the bill of the 1963 Royal Variety Performance.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:05 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Ah, yes. Lennon's supposed acidic 'rattle your jewelry' crack. That is until you watch him bottle it, all coy and awkward, after he said it.

But, no. It's something Harry H said.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:20 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Ah, yes. Lennon's supposed acidic 'rattle your jewelry' crack. That is until you watch him bottle it, all coy and awkward, after he said it.

But, no. It's something Harry H said.

Well, the Beatles are namechecked a few times in the series or are you talking about something more specific?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:11 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Well, the Beatles are namechecked a few times in the series or are you talking about something more specific?

OK. The running "he's very clean" joke is a direct reference to Steptoe and Son's Harry H constantly referring to his father as "you dirty old man". It's a bit obscure, even Paul McCartney had to be reminded, but when he was he confirmed "Dirty old man, that's right (snaps fingers). Of course! It's as you say, he was Steptoe, a dirty old man."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QgD ... an&f=false

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:53 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Well, the Beatles are namechecked a few times in the series or are you talking about something more specific?

OK. The running "he's very clean" joke is a direct reference to Steptoe and Son's Harry H constantly referring to his father as "you dirty old man". It's a bit obscure, even Paul McCartney had to be reminded, but when he was he confirmed "Dirty old man, that's right (snaps fingers). Of course! It's as you say, he was Steptoe, a dirty old man."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QgD ... an&f=false

Ah, okay.
Yes, for those outside of the UK might not be aware of that recurring joke in "A Hard Day's Night".

For another full bonus point, which legendary sitcom character did one of the leads in "Steptoe" originally play before it hit TV screens?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:12 am

elvisalisellers wrote:For another full bonus point, which legendary sitcom character did one of the leads in "Steptoe" originally play before it hit TV screens?

No idea. If I was guessing I could see one of the Likely Lads as the son, although they would have been a bit young. Maybe Hancock.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:31 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:For another full bonus point, which legendary sitcom character did one of the leads in "Steptoe" originally play before it hit TV screens?

No idea. If I was guessing I could see one of the Likely Lads as the son, although they would have been a bit young. Maybe Hancock.

No, I mean either Corbett or Brambell originally played the role of a very well known sitcom character before the series actually made it to television.

There is a clue on this page.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:02 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

No, I mean either Corbett or Brambell originally played the role of a very well known sitcom character before the series actually made it to television.

Oh, I see. I wasn't paying attention, there. Right, you've given me a bit of a clue there. So, I'll plump for Harry H as Rigsby?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:55 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

Oh, I see. I wasn't paying attention, there. Right, you've given me a bit of a clue there. So, I'll plump for Harry H as Rigsby?

Close...

In 1971, Wilfrid Brambell starred in the premiere of Eric Chappell's play, The Banana Box, in which he played "Rooksby".

It was then adapted for television in 1974 as Rising Damp, with Leonard Rossiter replacing Brambell in the role of the lecherous landlord, now renamed "Rigsby".

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:06 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

Close...

In 1971, Wilfrid Brambell starred in the premiere of Eric Chappell's play, The Banana Box, in which he played "Rooksby".

It was then adapted for television in 1974 as Rising Damp, with Leonard Rossiter replacing Brambell in the role of the lecherous landlord, now renamed "Rigsby".

Didn't know that. Good work. Even the bleedin' firemen had to put pennies in the turnstile.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:23 am

"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:09 am

Latest remaster by "Appzzzman returns".

It's an episode from Series 6 [originally shot in colour on 2" Quad videotape] from which all but 2 episodes only survive as b/w copies made at the BBC [for Galton and Simpson's own use] using a Shibaden SV-700 half-inch reel-to-reel, 405 line b/w video recorder - a forerunner of the video cassette recorder.

The recovered b/w episodes [not seen since 1970] were re-broadcast by the BBC in 1993.

Enjoy.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:50 am

Unfortunately, all of Appzzzman returns tremendous, independent restorations have been removed.

However, a few samples still [presently] remain, including a side-by-side comparison of a digital clean up they did [from a middling DVD transfer] of the much-loved The New Avengers from the 70's.

That is one series I would give my right arm for, restored from the 35mm negative film stock.