Finally...

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Finally...

Post by poormadpeter2 »

After three years working on the PhD and then three more on the book, my complimentary copies of this little devil arrived at my door today :)
DSCF4365.JPG
DSCF4362.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jessewade
Banned
Banned

Re: Finally...

Post by jessewade »

Congrats ! That must be a wonderful feeling

MEMBER BANNED FOREVER FOR MAKING RACIST/ANTISEMETIC ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

That's a great achievement, bravo.

And now ... sleep ...

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Congratulations. Hope it greatly outsells the new offering from E. David Stanley.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Congratulations! Well done!

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Thanks folks. Sadly, at the prices charged by academic publishing (often making FTD books look cheap), it's not likely to outsell much of anything, but it will get into university libraries etc which is the main thing, and it is the first and only book on the subject which is rather cool. Hopefully it will get some attention when the recent restoration of Different from the Others (the first film campaigning for gay rights, from 1919) gets a proper release on dvd or blu ray in the next year or so.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Congrats!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Congratulations, peter.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Congratulations!

Only very slightly related, I wonder what your opinion is on this article:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=91871&view=unread#p1464860

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Congratulations!

Only very slightly related, I wonder what your opinion is on this article:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=91871&view=unread#p1464860

Strangely, Elvis was compared to women as early as 1956 - see my thread on Presley and the Press for more on this, but as examples:
‘His one speciality is an accented movement of the body that heretofore has been primarily identified with the repertoire of the blonde-bombshells of the burlesque runway.’ (Jack Gould)

'a male burlesque dancer' and 'a male Marilyn Monroe' (Pat Doncaster)

‘The solemn accusation that these old codgers throw at our boy is that he is “selling sex,” Come now, fellows. Ever hear of Marilyn Monroe, Anita Ekberg, Jane Russell, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Eartha Kitt? Or, perhaps in your day, Mae West or Theda Bara? What do you think the girls have been selling? Violin lessons?’ (Jock Carroll - note he's comparing Elvis to women, not to Valentino, Clark Gable or Errol Flynn!)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92828&p=1484485#p1484485
While Elvis was, indeed, as pretty as he was handsome, this didn't come over in the his vocals in the way it did with someone such as jazz singer/trumpeter Chet Baker or Jimmy Scott - or pop singers such as Neil Sedaka. Listened to blind, without knowledge of their gender, all could be men or women!

But I can't say that "androgynous" is the word that comes to mind with regards to Elvis for me personally. However, there is a strange thing going on with masculinity (or lack of) on and off throughout his career. In Jailhouse Rock he's the tough guy, in Blue Hawaii he has women chasing after him, by Viva Las Vegas he can't get Ann-Margret for love nor money (and she's often the dominant partner - "the gentleman's all wet!"), and by Speedway he's in a complete gender-reversal when he's in the high-kicking chorus line in He's Your Uncle Not Your Dad! This all changes with the comeback (and a film such as Charro or Stay Away Joe which are much more masculine roles) but then, by the mid-70s the jumpsuits are as flamboyant (and tacky) as something worn by Liberace and so we're back into losing the masculine image again.

What I find interesting in all of that is that Elvis's most successful periods are linked to those where his masculinity is at its greatest (1956-1961, 1968-1970), and his low ebbs are where that masculinity is eroded (1962-1967, 1975-1977). Coincidence? Not sure.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Thank you :smt023

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Congratulations! Good luck.
Btw...it's"funny" that the attachments have been viewed 120 times and yet only 11 has bothered to comment...

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Interesting point of view, peter. I never thought about it.

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

jurasic1968 wrote:Interesting point of view, peter. I never thought about it.
I started doing some work on it about five years ago, but personal crap got in the way and it never got further than preparatory notes sadly. perhaps one day!

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Congratulations Shane,hope it does well for you.

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Scarre wrote:Congratulations! Good luck.
Btw...it's"funny" that the attachments have been viewed 120 times and yet only 11 has bothered to comment...
The amount of times the pics have been viewed is a little odd - does this place even see 150 people in a day?!

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Congratulations, Shane !

MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
I started doing some work on it about five years ago, but personal crap got in the way and it never got further than preparatory notes sadly. perhaps one day!
It's a fascinating topic -- one I've thought about a lot. I encourage you to pursue it (after you/ve had a chance to rest up a bit). :)

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
It's a fascinating topic -- one I've thought about a lot. I encourage you to pursue it (after you/ve had a chance to rest up a bit). :)
Thanks. :) I have a Presley project in mind that it could be part of, but I'm currently torn between doing that, a Sammy Davis Jr entry in the Listener's Guide series, or another novel (but my last one of those sank without trace!)

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Thanks. :) I have a Presley project in mind that it could be part of, but I'm currently torn between doing that, a Sammy Davis Jr entry in the Listener's Guide series, or another novel (but my last one of those sank without trace!)
But, it's out there waiting to be re-discovered, which I'm sure it will be :)

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Dan_T wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
But, it's out there waiting to be re-discovered, which I'm sure it will be :)
As it happens, its my second novel but not too many people read it. A few copies were printed but where are they now? I am sure djc and Peter guralnick know! ;)

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Congrats and best of luck, Shane.