John Lennon - Imagine - Take 1

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

John Lennon - Imagine - Take 1

Post by promiseland »

Here's a real treat for any Beatles/John Lennon fans. It's possibly Take 1 of Imagine probably one of the greatest songs ever recorded. I found it on the end of one of my reels of a SB copy of Led Zeppelin from April. '71. A friend of my believes it to be the first take. Maybe someone can shed some light if incorrect if anyone has this on a boot or mainstream release. It has some hiss but I cleaned it with iZotope RX4 I think it sounds pretty good. :smt020

John Lennon - Image - Take 1 from Lennon's home studio at Tittenhurst Park, England, in May 1971.
24bit transfer to wave
http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/RfxFJJJP/file.html
( I would recommend downloading the file to acquire the best quality since Zippyshare's player adds compression to the stream.)
Last edited by promiseland on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisM
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: John Lennon - Image - Take 1 ?

Post by ChrisM »

A few seconds on Google shows it appearing on this official release:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon_Anthology

Chris

The poets down here don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

promiseland wrote:Here's a real treat for any Beatles/John Lennon fans. It's possibly Take 1 of Imagine probably one of the greatest songs ever recorded. I found it on the end of one of my reels of a SB copy of Led Zeppelin from April. '71. A friend of my believes it to be the first take. Maybe someone can shed some light if incorrect if anyone has this on a boot or mainstream release. It has some hiss but I cleaned it with iZotope RX4 I think it sounds pretty good. :smt020

John Lennon - Image - Take 1 from Lennon's home studio at Tittenhurst Park, England, in May 1971.
24bit transfer to wave
( I would recommend downloading the file to acquire the best quality since Zippyshare's player adds compression to the stream.)
I'm not sure if this is take 1, but if so it was officially issued, as noted. Also, I think you mean "Imagine," not "Image."

http://www.beatlesbible.com/people/john-lennon/songs/imagine/
http://www.beatleswiki.org/wiki/Imagine_(song)#Recording

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

It's the officially released take 1 [John Lennon Anthology] minus the organ overdub.

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by elvis4life »

http://www.amny.com/news/john-lennon-s-photographer-bob-gruen-remembers-the-beatle-s-new-york-city-years-1.11189099

John Lennon's photographer Bob Gruen remembers the Beatle's New York City years
By JAMIE REYSEN jamie.reysen@amny.com December 7, 2015

John Lennon was many things: A Beatle, an activist, an icon. For about a decade, he was even a New Yorker.

amNewYork spoke with Lennon and Yoko Ono's personal photographer, Bob Gruen, about those New York City years ahead of the 35th anniversary of Lennon's death.

Gruen, who photographed Lennon from 1971-1980, described the musician as "very amazing, very charismatic, very grounded, a lot of fun to be with."

He also got to witness Lennon as a father; Lennon spent five years as a stay-at-home dad after the birth of his son, Sean. Gruen said Lennon was "very attentive and very caring and very involved" in Sean's life. He made less music in those years because caring for his young son was much more important to him, Gruen recalled.

Gruen, a Manhattan-based photographer, has worked with countless music icons, from Elvis to Madonna to Bob Marley. But some of Gruen's most famous photos are of Lennon in New York City.

In one series of photos from 1974, Lennon posed on the roof of his apartment in a sleeveless New York City T-shirt that Gruen had bought for him a year earlier on the street for just $5.

Gruen also photographed Lennon at the Statue of Liberty amid a deportation battle between Lennon and the U.S. government in 1974. More than 40 years later, that image of Lennon flashing the peace sign in front of Lady Liberty remains one of the most iconic photos ever taken of the beloved Beatle.

Gruen told amNewYork that he doesn't have one favorite memory from his time spent with Lennon, but said that their photo shoot at the Statue of Liberty "was a very special day."

"But," he continued, "they were all very special."

When asked if he remembered where he was when he heard that Lennon had been shot on Dec. 8, 1980, he said, "I think everybody does."

Gruen recalled how he had taken photos of Lennon just days before he was killed by Mark David Chapman outside of the Dakota.

"I was actually in the dark room developing those pictures when I got a phone call," he said.

Lennon, who lived in the Dakota from 1973 until his death, liked to spend his time at La Fortuna, a now-shuttered nearby cafe, Gruen said. He also enjoyed walking through Central Park.

"He liked being in New York for the same reason everybody else does. You have a lot of freedom in New York, and you have some of the best restaurants, theater, art, museums, life ... New York just attracts a tremendous amount of talent," Gruen said. He added that New York allowed Lennon a lot of anonymity; people didn't bother him or chase him down the block for an autograph, Gruen explained.

"You know, New Yorkers have a very live-and-let-live attitude, and I think he certainly enjoyed that," he said.

Thirty-five years after Lennon's untimely death, his influence on music and culture is immeasurable. Would it surprise him? It might, Gruen said.

"I don't think he realized just how far his message went."

Bob Gruen recently released a revised edition of "John Lennon: The New York Years," a collection of photographs of Lennon's last decade. Buy it on Amazon.com:

Topic author
promiseland

Post by promiseland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:Here's a real treat for any Beatles/John Lennon fans. It's possibly Take 1 of Imagine probably one of the greatest songs ever recorded. I found it on the end of one of my reels of a SB copy of Led Zeppelin from April. '71. A friend of my believes it to be the first take. Maybe someone can shed some light if incorrect if anyone has this on a boot or mainstream release. It has some hiss but I cleaned it with iZotope RX4 I think it sounds pretty good. :smt020

24bit transfer to wave
I'm not sure if this is take 1, but if so it was officially issued, as noted. Also, I think you mean "Imagine," not "Image." :oops:
http://www.beatlesbible.com/people/john-lennon/songs/imagine/
http://www.beatleswiki.org/wiki/Imagine_(song)#Recording
...omg How did I miss that? I fixed it thanks Doc!

Topic author
promiseland

Post by promiseland »

elvisalisellers wrote:It's the officially released take 1 [John Lennon Anthology] minus the organ overdub.

Mine is at 3:27 without all the dialogue. but sounds like the same take regardless. Would that still make it an "official release" since it's minus the organ overdub? :wink:

Thanks.

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Re: John Lennon - Imagine - Take 1

Post by elvis4life »

http://www.amny.com/news/john-lennon-tributes-flow-at-central-park-strawberry-fields-on-35th-anniversary-of-beatle-s-death-1.11207230

John Lennon tributes flow at Central Park Strawberry Fields on 35th anniversary of Beatle's death
By JASON SHALTIEL jason.shaltiel@amny.com December 9, 2015

Hundreds of people gathered at the Strawberry Fields memorial to John Lennon in Central Park yesterday to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the musician's death. More than one dozen guitarists strummed various Beatles ballads in unison around the floor mosaic that reads "Imagine," as the surrounding crowd sang along for hours.

Many onlookers said they'd traveled from different parts of the United States, and some from different parts of the world, to attend the memorial. Hilario Garza, 29, and Zulema Perez, 28, traveled from Mexico to be there. "We planned our vacation trip to fall on this week," Garza said.

Gene Cross, a 72-year-old retired actor and musician living in Midtown West, had been to three Beatles concerts. "You couldn't see them, you couldn't hear them -- the girls were screaming so loud it was just ear piercing," Cross said. "When Lennon died, it felt like I lost a brother -- put it this way, I named my son after him," he said.

Lorraine King, 60, from Pennsylvania, has been a Beatles fan since she was a child despite being born with a hearing impairment that has forced her to use a hearing aid. King said that she developed an appreciation for the group by reading the lyrics because she couldn't hear the music. "As I got older, I read the lyrics and became motivated. I would sing them even though I'm off key."

Karl Hamann, 60, traveled from Minnesota to see the memorial. "The '60s shaped who I am in terms of being someone creative," he said. "I've wanted to come for years and experience the moment with other people to honor what (Lennon) stood for, peace.”

Rafael Gana, a 29-year-old painter from Astoria, Queens, made a few illustrations to sell at the gathering of fans in Central Park paying tribute to John Lennon on the 35th anniversary of his death on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015. "I try to represent some of (Lennon's) ideas in my work," Gana said, "I like his ideology, his music translates to me and the way I live ... the way he saw society and its issues."
(Credit: Jason Shaltiel)

Lorraine King, born in Long Island and now living in Pennsylvania, has been a Beatles fan since she was a child despite being born with a hearing impairment that has forced her to use a hearing aid. "I was 8 years old when they came to America ... and I thought they were good looking but I didn't understand the songs. As I got older I read the lyrics and became motivated, I would sing them even though I'm off key."

By noon on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015, hundreds of people had gathered at the Strawberry Fields memorial to pay tribute to John Lennon on the 35th anniversary of this death.

Karl Hamann, 60, travelled from Minnesota to be at the Strawberry Fields memorial in Central Park on the 35th anniversary of John Lennon's death on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015.

An illustration of John Lennon on the back of a jacket of a fan paying tribute to the musician at the Strawberry Fields memorial in Central Park on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015.

Gene Cross, 72, left, with Helen Cohen, 67, at the Strawberry Fields memorial in Central Park on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015. Cross said he'd seen The Beatles perform live three times and named his son after John Lennon.

Over a dozen people brought instruments to the memorial on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015.

Fans take photographs and hold up flowers at the Strawberry Fields memorial in Central Park on the 35th anniversary of John Lennon's death on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015.

elvisalisellers

promiseland wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:It's the officially released take 1 [John Lennon Anthology] minus the organ overdub.

Mine is at 3:27 without all the dialogue. but sounds like the same take regardless. Would that still make it an "official release" since it's minus the organ overdub? :wink:

Thanks.
You sure about that? :wink:

Topic author
promiseland

Post by promiseland »

elvisalisellers wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Thanks.
unless your YouTube vid is wrong at 3:23 I would say yes.

elvisalisellers

promiseland wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Thanks.
unless your YouTube vid is wrong at 3:23 I would say yes.
Huh?

Your zippy ulpoad lasts 3:06 not 3:27.

memphisflash

Re: John Lennon - Imagine - Take 1

Post by memphisflash »

The Anthology CD box is highly recommended, there are many undubbed and alternate versions on this set in fantastic sound quality ...