Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Ultimate Sinatra: 100th Anniversary Box Set

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Good on you greystoke.

Am Still trying to find out what seems to be the issue with THE JOKER IS WILD not yet available on DVD and Blu Ray.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by elvis-fan »

WOW! This looks fantastic! And a great download price for 26 songs... but I think I'll wait for the 4CD set in April.
Thanks for posting, Greystoke!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Well, I guess a set like this was inevitable - and, unlike Elvis, there have been no complete career overviews before, so there is certainly a market for it. That said, some of the choices of the four disc set are questionable to say the least, with 4 tracks from Only the Lonely (yes, I know it's great stuff - but 4 tracks?) and tracks from All Alone and Moonlight Sinatra (both very nice, but not essential in this kind of career summary) and yet there's no Ballpark, no Love's Been Good To Me or A Man Alone, nothing from the now highly-regarded Watertown, and nothing from She Shot Me Down or L A Is My Lady. I realise these things are subjective, but for a career summary to not include anything from the 70s other than Trilogy (and nothing after it) it seems a bit of a lost opportunity to show that Sinatra was still producing worthwhile material. There's no For Once In My Life either - this was also bypassed on the four disc Reprise Collection I think, and yet is a classic recording and very well known.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

It's worth adding that Sony are releasing a Sinatra entry in the "Real..." series which appears to be concentrating mostly on the Columbia years.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Thanks for the amazon price, ordered today[video].

-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Thanks for the amazon price, ordered today[video].

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Now I found the answer. Shame.

08-24-2008, 08:16 AM #3

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Granata View Post
It's always puzzled me as to why The Joker Is wild has never been released on video - in any format

I believe the rights are owned by the family of Joe E. Lewis, and they have opposed the release.

That was in 2008 from the Sinatra Family Forum. On that basis you would think it is never going to released.

Others have asked about The Naked Runner, The Detective and Not as a Stranger and why these have not been released yet on DVD or Blu Ray. I think The Detective was one time (albeit in awful widescreen).

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

However the news is not all gloomy as I just found out Not as a Stranger will be soon available (marketed through Readers Digest in the UK). See the YT promo-

Anyone here seen Not as a Stranger ? Bit long, but overall great storyline and especially the cast.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hey greystoke. Not sure why the Lewis Estate feels that way either but to me it makes sense they're against the film's release. As an example I tweeted twice to Ms Nancy Sinatra and she hasn't responded. Therfore I have to believe there's nothing she or the Sinatra Estate as a whole can do about it. It's out of their hands.

Will try and tweet again and ask about the non-release of The Naked Runner.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Robt wrote:Hey greystoke. Not sure why the Lewis Estate feels that way either but to me it makes sense they're against the film's release. As an example I tweeted twice to Ms Nancy Sinatra and she hasn't responded. Therfore I have to believe there's nothing she or the Sinatra Estate as a whole can do about it. It's out of their hands.

Will try and tweet again and ask about the non-release of The Naked Runner.
It's highly unlikely that there is any block on the film by anyone. It was available on laser disc some years back, has been on TCM in recent months, and is available for streaming in the USA through Amazon. Any attempt to suppress a home video release would not then allow streaming.

londonflash
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by londonflash »

What a guy. Legend. Impeccable diction. Thanks for the heads-up.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by rjm »

I just finished watching the 4 hour, 2-night HBO documentary. I felt it was honest, moving, enlightening for those who are very young, and generally a great boost for his stunning legacy.

How many watched the 4 hours? I want to own it.

I also want as much music as I can get! It's gonna be a Very Good Year for Frankie-philes! Happy 100 to all of us who enjoy his artistry!

This man did it his way. For real.

rjm
P.S. -- I wish that his wish for us to live to be 100 would have come true for the kid from Hoboken. I think Nancy, Sr. is still with us. (Don't know her age, but she's up there.) I would have LOVED to read his Tweets! ;)

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

rjm

Post by rjm »

Oh! One more query. Is there a Sinatra Centenary Wallpaper site? 2560×2560 and 2560×1440 for the lock screen. Perhaps something with a live clock/watch look to it or something of that nature. Something classy.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

rjm

Post by rjm »

Thanks Greystoke. I will download it. Too often the resolution is too low or not for this screen. I have a Galaxy Note 4 and it takes a HUMONGOUS resolution. But it's worth it! Looks magnificent. I want the honor The Voice.

rjm

Aeschylus

rjm

Post by rjm »

"Your device isn't compatible with this version." First time this has happened! I hope they get it going for the Samsung flagships!

rjm

Aeschylus

WMarkJ
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by WMarkJ »

Greystoke wrote:The two-disc Australian Edition of Ultimate Sinatra features Frank's December 2nd, 1961, concert at Sydney Stadium on the second disc. Here's the tracklist.

1. Introduction By Tommy Hanlon Jr.
2. I've Got The World On A String.
3. I Concentrate On You
4. Night And Day
5. Moonlight In Vermont
6. In The Still Of The Night
7. I'll Be Seeing You
8. Day In, Day Out
9. The Moon Was Yellow
10. You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You
11. Monologue
12. Come Fly With Me
13. April In Paris
14. A Foggy Day
15. Without A Song
16. Imagination
17. The Second Time Around
18. Young At Heart
19. Witchcraft
20. Embraceable You
21. The One I Love
22. My Funny Valentine
23. My Blue Heaven
24. Angel Eyes
25. One For My Baby
26. The Lady Is A Tramp (W/reprise)
Going to get this for my elderly dad in the USA. I'm Not knowledgeable on Sinatra. Does the one I would get at FYE here have this concert? If not, how do I buy?

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Greystoke wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:
Greystoke wrote:The two-disc Australian Edition of Ultimate Sinatra features Frank's December 2nd, 1961, concert at Sydney Stadium on the second disc. Here's the tracklist.

1. Introduction By Tommy Hanlon Jr.
2. I've Got The World On A String.
3. I Concentrate On You
4. Night And Day
5. Moonlight In Vermont
6. In The Still Of The Night
7. I'll Be Seeing You
8. Day In, Day Out
9. The Moon Was Yellow
10. You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You
11. Monologue
12. Come Fly With Me
13. April In Paris
14. A Foggy Day
15. Without A Song
16. Imagination
17. The Second Time Around
18. Young At Heart
19. Witchcraft
20. Embraceable You
21. The One I Love
22. My Funny Valentine
23. My Blue Heaven
24. Angel Eyes
25. One For My Baby
26. The Lady Is A Tramp (W/reprise)
Going to get this for my elderly dad in the USA. I'm Not knowledgeable on Sinatra. Does the one I would get at FYE here have this concert? If not, how do I buy?
This version is an Australian Special Edition so you would have to order that one specifically if it's available. Amazon in the UK are carrying it, but it's actually more expensive than the four-disc set, which seems to be the one that's being marketed at the forefront of this project. There's also a single disc, standard edition.

That's useful to know - it might be more expensive than the four-disc set, but considerably more interesting considering this concert hasn't been released officially before, although I have a bootleg of it I think.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

The Australian edition arrived a couple of days ago. The sound quality on the main album is a bit rough in places, disappointingly so in fact. The early tracks sound almost like they've come from worn 78s, and I may be totally wrong but I'm sure there are better transfers out there. Some of the later tracks sound like they may be compressed to hell, I'd really have to do some comparisons though, just to be sure. The bonus concert is of very good, but bootleg, quality. I don't already have it, so that's not a problem. It's a bit disappointing overall, if I'm honest.

The four disc set is sat here now, I haven't played that yet but I've tried to download my four free unreleased songs and I keep getting a message saying that "The server at ulocker.udiscovermusic.com is taking too long to respond". It's a bit of a shambles, isn't it?

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Greystoke wrote:I don't think it's a shambles at all. Some tracks do sound better elsewhere, but many sound just terrific here. The early tracks suffer most and aren't nearly as pleasing or clean-sounding as they are on A Voice in Time, which sounds even better than the Columbia box set. They are louder on Ultimate Sinatra, making me think that the producers tried to achieve even volume-levels. It doesn't work, although some of the tracks on disc four are very bright and quite dynamic. Music-wise, the CDs are packed to near 80 minutes on every disc, whilst the bonus E.P. is superb and downloaded just fine for me. And whilst the Australian concert doesn't boast stellar sound, it's fine to my ears and raw into the bargain -- and a magnificent concert. But sound-wise, I've heard better and I've heard worse concert recordings from the era. However, as with most Sinatra compilations, there's a few gems and rarities, such as The Surrey With the Fringe on Top, Memories of You, and Forget to Remember. I will need to listen again to be certain, but Stardust sounds just a mite longer than the originally released take, and New York, New York has the first note that's sometimes clipped. But the sequencing is excellent and whilst there's many, many tracks I would liked to have seen here by way of another disc, I think it's a great career retrospective. Especially if one takes into account the amount of music included for the price -- every disc is 79 minutes plus! Yes, the mastering is uneven and there's better-sounding releases, but I think this release achieved almost everything intended of it, and it's done fairly well on the charts, peaking at No. 32 on Billboard.
I didn't buy the box, just the Australian edition, and the concert is in good enough sound - and taken, from what I could gather, from the videotape of the concert. That said, I've also got a copy (literally) from a bootleg of the same show and not a great deal of improvement was made for the official release - but only so much can be done from such sources - but the improvement is noticeable nonetheless. As for the main disc, I have to agree that I didn't think it sounded particularly good in the main: I thought the Capitol tracks sounded better on the 1998 British boxed set, and the Reprise tracks mostly sounded better on the recent re-releases. That said, most people buying the box won't have those releases and so comparisons won't be made in the same way. A surprise was the inclusion of the alternate take of Just in Time, which isn't just an alternate take but an alternate arrangement recorded at the first Come Dance with Me session, some two and a half months prior to the recording eventually used on the LP.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Greystoke wrote:I don't think it's a shambles at all. Some tracks do sound better elsewhere, but many sound just terrific here. The early tracks suffer most and aren't nearly as pleasing or clean-sounding as they are on A Voice in Time, which sounds even better than the Columbia box set. They are louder on Ultimate Sinatra, making me think that the producers tried to achieve even volume-levels. It doesn't work, although some of the tracks on disc four are very bright and quite dynamic.
Well if that isn't a shambles, please tell me what would constitute one.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Greystoke wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Greystoke wrote:I don't think it's a shambles at all. Some tracks do sound better elsewhere, but many sound just terrific here. The early tracks suffer most and aren't nearly as pleasing or clean-sounding as they are on A Voice in Time, which sounds even better than the Columbia box set. They are louder on Ultimate Sinatra, making me think that the producers tried to achieve even volume-levels. It doesn't work, although some of the tracks on disc four are very bright and quite dynamic.
That's a bit of a loaded question. I've said what I like about this release and where I find it flawed. But I'm not wringing my hands over its foibles. Especially when audio can be quite subjective.
If a 4 disc set is touted as the official release for the 100th anniversary, and the record company calls it "The Ultimate..." then in my opinion it's unacceptable to use tracks which sound worse than on previous releases. In many cases it's not subjective, either,

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The Pirate wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
That's a bit of a loaded question. I've said what I like about this release and where I find it flawed. But I'm not wringing my hands over its foibles. Especially when audio can be quite subjective.
If a 4 disc set is touted as the official release for the 100th anniversary, and the record company calls it "The Ultimate..." then in my opinion it's unacceptable to use tracks which sound worse than on previous releases. In many cases it's not subjective, either,
Well, either way, it's still significantly more than has been done to celebrate Elvis's 80th.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Well, either way, it's still significantly more than has been done to celebrate Elvis's 80th.
And if, when it comes (whatever 'it' is) Sony use anything other than the best masters, anyone who merely used the word 'shambles' would sound like they were letting them off the hook.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
And if, when it comes (whatever 'it' is) Sony use anything other than the best masters, anyone who merely used the word 'shambles' would sound like they were letting them off the hook.
The Presley catalogue is a different beast, though, all owned by the same company, and all remastered at the same time in 2007. Even so, many prefer the Budd remastering from before then - and many agree that the soundtracks sound better in their remixed incarnations from ten years earlier. It does, alas, all come down to personal preferences. What sounds bad to one person doesn't sound bad to another. Just because it's a new remaster doesn't mean it's a better one - as is the case with the Sinatra material on the set and, indeed, some of the 2007 remasters of Elvis material.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hey good news everybody ! NOT AS A STRANGER is now available on YouTube. A couple of months ago, I posted here earlier on this topic that the movie is not yet available on DVD (or anywhere). Then I found out and posted that NAAS was going to be released via Reader's Digest (UK only). Today I am very happy to find :D and to post a YouTube link recently uploaded by a very kind gent. For those who've not seen it, you must check and download this film. Super cast led by Robert Mitchum and Frank Sinatra.