Off Topic Messages

Hank Williams.

Mon May 12, 2003 8:18 pm

Just listening to the recent issued 2 cd set of Hank and just wondered what u guys thought of him. Its compelling listening, altho why I like it I dont know. I admire mostly in Hank his writing. I just dont like his cornball voice. But the songs are great, know what i mean?? I know he had to have a big influence on Elvis somehow. Elvis doing "Im So Lonesome I Could Cry" "I Can't Help It If Im Still In Love With You", "Your Cheatin' Heart". I dont know what it is about Hank tho that makes this music appealing but it does for me. My favs are Im So Lonesome I Could Cry, I Saw the Light, Ill Never Make It Out of This World Alive.

Hank

Mon May 12, 2003 11:16 pm

Hey Kylan
I never got into Hank SR, a little before my time. Although I respect the hell out of what he did.
Now Hank JR is a different story. Went to many of his hellraising concerts back in the 80's. :twisted:

Tony

hank williams senior

Tue May 13, 2003 2:58 am

funny you should mention hank,sr. i just bought from a deep discount table in a local book shop, a great coffee table book on the life of hank williams.
to me hank was one of the links between old time country music and rock and roll. he was a big influince on carl perkins, elvis, and all of the sun records greats.
he was the real deal. a true artist. and i still enjoy hearing his versions
of his classic songs.

Tue May 13, 2003 3:39 am

Have you heard Hank Williams III (grandson of Hank Sr and son of Hank Jr)

Tue May 13, 2003 9:01 am

Hank Williams = great writer.

But almost anyone else does a better redition.

One of my favourite LP's is Floyd Cramer playing Hank Williams.

I only wish Elvis had recorded more.

Tue May 13, 2003 3:07 pm

Hank 3 is much closer in style (and in appearance) to Hank senior than Hank Jr. Hank 3 has 2 great country cds out, and also performs as a punk singer. The two types of music are kept strictly apart in his stage act and on cd.

Tue May 13, 2003 5:01 pm

Hi Kylan -
Hank was an American songwriting genius pure & simple. And his "cornball" voice was and remains hugely influential in country music. I've often wondered if, had he lived, he would have gone rockabilly. Some of his stuff was very close to it. Listen to "Move It On Over". Now imagine that song minus the country styled guitar and fiddle, and with a Scotty Moore type of rockabilly guitar instead. You'd have something that sounds very much like Carl Perkins!

Wed May 14, 2003 2:43 am

Ive heard Thurgood's Move It On Over.. good stuff.