What identity theft protection system do you recommend?

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

What identity theft protection system do you recommend?

Post by elvis4life »

Hey everyone,

I need some advice in regards to what identity theft protection system to choose. There's Identity Guard & Lifelock that I know of, but are there any other systems like these here in the USA? And if so, would anyone here know if they're any good?

From what I can see as of now, Lifelock offers 3 good plans, however there is a † symbol next to them. When I scrolled down at the bottom as to what † meant, it said "†Network does not cover all transactions."

Now I feel this is bad because the following has this for this symbol:

https://secure.lifelock.com/enrollment

1.LifeLock Identity Alert® System†

2.Credit Card, Checking and Savings Account Activity Alerts†

3.Investment Account Activity Alerts†

4.Checking and Savings Account Application Alerts†

5.Bank Account Takeover Alerts†

As for Identity Guard, it don't really say this on their plans: http://www.identityguard.com/compare-plans/our-solutions/ . So maybe this is better?

Plus, here's 2 links with mostly complaints about Lifelock: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/privacy/lifelock.html & http://www.consumeraffairs.com/privacy/lifelock.html?page=2

There's nothing about Identity Guard on the site at all: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/search.html?google_cse=1&cx=partner-pub-0200629403145096%3A9541715168&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=identity+guard

However on this bestidtheftcompanys.com link: http://bestidtheftcompanys.com/company/identity-guard , it shows mixed reviews on it.

So this is where I hope someone here can give me an honest opinion as to what I should pick or should not pick. Should I trust the reviews on the links that I mentioned? Again, any help would be most greatly appreciated because nowadays, we ALL have to be safe within ourselves, especially when it comes to something like this. Thanks in advance!

poormadpeter

Re: What identity theft protection system do you recommend?

Post by poormadpeter »

I can't comment on the above products, but my view about identity theft is that, if someone (or a group) are planning to do it, then they'll find ways around whatever you put in their way - the same as burglars learn how to disarm alarm systems. I think the best way to protect yourself is by being sensible - be careful with emails that might be spam, don't give out your passwords, change them regularly, use different ones for different sites, and so on. In the end, you can't hire a group of security guard so no-one breaks into your house, but you can remember to lock the doors and windows.

Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Scarre »

Honestly...common sense. Think about what you do, write and where you do it. That goes just as much for real life as it does for online...

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Scarre wrote:Honestly...common sense. Think about what you do, write and where you do it. That goes just as much for real life as it does for online...
Exactly. My Mum worries about it all the time - thanks to the daytime TV shows that dwell on the relatively few horrific cases and scare the hell out of people.

memphisto
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by memphisto »

I am sure that these identity protection system protect you, to a point. There are always cases where they wont protect you, just like any insurance. If they dont tell you what the exceptions are in a clear way I wouldnt use them.

Always use a complicated password for anything that involves your finances or any highly personal information like your bank, your bills etc; these should all be different passwords and they shouldnt be used anywhere else. Banks, email systems et al usually have the securest of technology and encryption systems while joe bloggs's site wont have.

Best type of password?
-dont use real words, even in combination with numbers or uppercase, a single word can be cracked in minutes or less, ie Whippet65
-Always use a combination of lower case and upper case letters along with at least one number,
-if they allow other characters other than alphanumeric then use one of them, ie * $ !
-always have a password of 8 characters or more
-make sure the password doesnt include something obvious about you
-and dont let anyone know your passwords

Of course other advice
-dont click links in emails before looking at the sender, and hover over the link will usually tell you where the link goes, it if doesnt match then I personally wouldnt click it.
-Always shred your personal correspondence before trashing it
-Make sure noone can see you entering your pin number at cash machines

Common sense as has been said.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

The one time that I downloaded and installed the software which my bank pushes at me - every time I log on, despite me saying I don't want it over and over again - it slowed my system up to such an extent that I was forced to remove it. Not having it has never given me any problems, and software is no substitute for common sense. If anything, these programs can lull you into a false sense of security and make you think you're invincible.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

memphisto wrote: -Make sure noone can see you entering your pin number at cash machines
Or what? Or there's a very vague chance that the person behind you will be a master pickpocket who will steal your card? Honestly, you could shout out the digits as you were entering them*, and still sleep safe in your bed at night.

* Advice not valid between the hours of 8:00pm and 6:00am in most town centres.

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

Thanks guys for your honest input & advice on this. And your right in regards to common sense, indeed it's just that, common sense! Many thanks my friends, it REALLY does mean a lot.

memphisto
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by memphisto »

The Pirate wrote:
memphisto wrote: -Make sure noone can see you entering your pin number at cash machines
Or what? Or there's a very vague chance that the person behind you will be a master pickpocket who will steal your card? Honestly, you could shout out the digits as you were entering them*, and still sleep safe in your bed at night.

* Advice not valid between the hours of 8:00pm and 6:00am in most town centres.
You do know that small spy cameras can be used to see both your card number and you entering your pin right? I will stick to covering my pin number thanks :)