Off Topic Messages

John and Paul --> How Genius Happens!

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:38 am

While shopping for ice cream at the market today, I noticed quite an intriguing magazine cover:

140700_Atlantic Monthly.JPG
Atlantic Monthly - July/August 2014

I'll let y'all know if it's worth the $7.00 I paid to take it home!

::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: John and Paul --> How Genius Happens!

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:54 am

And of course the answer is that they heard "Heartbreak Hotel" :wink:

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:48 am

Cool cover.
What flavour of ice cream did you get ? 8)

norrie

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:17 am

i am a hard core Elvis fan , no doubt . but you have to agree that Paul and John made lyrical magic with the talent they had and wrote some really great song's . Elvis to me is the best singer hand's down , acting i feel he could have been at the top if he had some better direction . but when it comes to bands The Beatles are at the top of the list . John Lennon , who went on a rock n roll solo career , is rock n roll thru and thru . it is a shame that his belief's and personal view's got in his way , and the horrid yuko had to ruin his really cool talent . i seen a video with John and Chuck Berry rockin out and yoko was ruining the moment . You could see the expression on Chuck's face , are you kidding me . But Paul and John made magic with them lines and rhymes and it is cool to know that Elvis was the inspiration for them wanting to be artist .

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 am

Julian Grant wrote:And of course the answer is that they heard "Heartbreak Hotel" :wink:

Well, for John the life-long Elvis bug bit when he first heard "Hound Dog." He drove his Aunt Mimi insane, playing it over and over again.

norrie wrote:Cool cover.
What flavour of ice cream did you get ? 8)

norrie

Chocolate and vanilla -- great alone, great together!

elviscollector101 wrote:i am a hard core Elvis fan , no doubt . but you have to agree that Paul and John made lyrical magic with the talent they had and wrote some really great song's . Elvis to me is the best singer hand's down , acting i feel he could have been at the top if he had some better direction . but when it comes to bands The Beatles are at the top of the list . John Lennon , who went on a rock n roll solo career , is rock n roll thru and thru . it is a shame that his belief's and personal view's got in his way , and the horrid yuko had to ruin his really cool talent .

Most don't see it that way. ;-)

elviscollector101 wrote:i seen a video with John and Chuck Berry rockin out and yoko was ruining the moment . You could see the expression on Chuck's face , are you kidding me . But Paul and John made magic with them lines and rhymes and it is cool to know that Elvis was the inspiration for them wanting to be artist .

Yes, Elvis was one of their inspirations.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am

So ...

The cover was what compelled me to purchase the issue, rendered by Shepard Fairey, the same guy who created the iconic “Yes We Did” poster for President Obama.

Now, in reading the piece, anytime someone calls Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band the pinnacle, it’s a fair assumption their knowledge is slight. Still, I love how the author terms Lennon’s introduction of his girlfriend into the sessions for The Beatles an “alpha move.”

In the end, the idea people are still trying to deconstruct Lennon and McCartney 50 years after the fact is a testament to their genius.