Off Topic Messages

FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:49 am

A place to discuss ::rocks
subir imagenes

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Argentina or Germany with Belgium as an outside bet.
Belgium are worth a punt at 20-1.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 pm

I think England are about 28/1 to win it.

I also think that they should be 28/1 to get past the group stages.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Bodie wrote:I think England are about 28/1 to win it.

It's not the strongest England squad ever.

Expectations this time are not the usual hysterical, over the top BS. Which should mean far less pressure on the team.
England won't win it but I can see them getting to the quarter finals.

If they progress from the group stage, they'll meet one of the teams from group C. And that section doesn't look very strong.

But then again it is England and they have under-achieved in tournaments many times.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:56 pm

I think the current Belgium squad is not groomed enough in big tournament matches to pose a real threat in the later stages of the tournament to giants like Germany or Spain.

I'd be rooting for my own national team if we had only beat the Greeks in the play-offs.

Go USMNT and England, I guess. But I'm expecting quite the disappointment from these two unfortunately.

England has always had great individual skill with its players but could never create that chemistry needed for big matches.
It's been that way for at least a dozen years and I have to say I'm expecting much of the same although I'm really wishing for something great from the last run at it for the likes of Gerrard and Lampard.

I like the wild excitement the USMNT boasts and Klinnsman is a good coach and I'm rooting for him most of all. They seem like a fun bunch that doesn't know what they're doing overall
but it's one of those things that I just wish could happen, qualifying from that group. I kid, I kid. :lol:

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 pm

My favorites: Germany , Brazil and Spain.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Long story short, I'm just hoping that Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff promises to keep the events safe for fans inside AND outside during this World Cup when attending this. From what I've read on various news sites, there has been LOTS of protests & rioting from this.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:31 pm

daylon wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think England are about 28/1 to win it.

It's not the strongest England squad ever.

Expectations this time are not the usual hysterical, over the top BS. Which should mean far less pressure on the team.
England won't win it but I can see them getting to the quarter finals.

If they progress from the group stage, they'll meet one of the teams from group C. And that section doesn't look very strong.

But then again it is England and they have under-achieved in tournaments many times.

I can't see England beating Italy or Uruguay.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Neither can I Bodie after what I've seen in the friendlies - the defence is all over the place, the last one against Ecudor Smalling should have easily cleared for their first goal, it was poor very poor, Rooneys goal was hand ball by Lambert anyway, Hodgson needs to sort out the defence PRONTO

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:08 pm

CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:Neither can I Bodie after what I've seen in the friendlies - the defence is all over the place, the last one against Ecudor Smalling should have easily cleared for their first goal, it was poor very poor, Rooneys goal was hand ball by Lambert anyway, Hodgson needs to sort out the defence PRONTO

Be interesting how they get on tonight.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:57 pm

I don't think England will get out of their group. Weaknesses show in every position on the pitch.

I agree with Paul Scholes that Rooney is past his best, for England at least. I hope the youngsters in the Squad give good performances as this may be England's only way of progressing into the knock-out stages.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm hoping Italy but head says Brazil with home advantage but pushing them hard Uruguay or Argentina cant see the European teams doing anything.
No European team ever won it in South America

Looking forward to it though ...let the fun commence

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:28 pm

Argentina for me.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 pm

GERMANY FOR ME

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:14 pm

Brazil for me.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 am

England!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 pm

I can't see far past Argentina or Brazil.

England to go out on penalties!

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:29 am

londonflash wrote:I can't see far past Argentina or Brazil.

England to go out on penalties!

England wont get as far as needing penalties

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:13 am

Watch out for Group G! We gonna kick some . . . football! ;)

Or sumpin.' You never know. Group G, No. 4.

rjm
P.S. -- If you bet on us, and a miracle happens, you're rich!

Sent via mobile

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:35 pm

France 2 - 1 Italy :wink:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Looking forward to this very much! Of course I hope the Dutch team will do well but it wouldn't surprise me if they go home after three matches :| Other favorites are Belgium and the US.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:35 am

Check this out!

Do you "believe"? It worked for the Mets once upon a time, you know.

I Believe - American Outlaws Tribute:
phpBB [video]

rjm

Sent via mobile

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Got Brazil in the World Cup sweep. That'll do nicely.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:25 pm

Lol moment - a tenner of our sweep is for the team that scores the first goal, ostensibly to give those who picked crap teams a chance.

Boom!

Just need one of the Brazilians to be sent off now!

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:38 am

First game done Brazil 3-1 Croatia.....didn't think Brazil were that good they seemed to lack that aura of Brazilian teams of the past, probably because most of them play in Europe nowadays and we see them all the time individually, still opening game win always important.