Off Topic Messages

Glen Campbell Moved Into A Care Facility

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 pm

This bit of news breaks my heart. Apparently Glen Campbell has been moved into a care facility. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease three years ago.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... e-facility

I had the honor of seeing him live several times. In one of the shows I attended, Campbell did a credible Elvis impersonation while singing Conway Twitty's "It's Only Make Believe." He also said that Elvis was the most charismatic person he'd ever met. The last time I saw him was in Santa Rosa, CA on June 2012. The performance was bittersweet. Here's a picture I took of him:

Re: Glen Campbell Moved Into A Care Facility

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 pm

This is sad news, although it was very much inevitable in some ways. Glen is one of my favourite singers, too. Although I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live and in person. But that magnificent voice we hear on record sounded just as incredible on live recordings, with his 1977 special at the Royal Festival Hall springing to mind. His tone, range and diction were truly brilliant and reminiscent of a young Sinatra given how perfect his pitch was.

That's a wonderful photo. Cherished memories for you there, I'm sure.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:31 pm

So sorry to hear this. What a brilliant and talented musician. Thanks for the photo InheritTheWind.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 pm

A fantastic talent. Great voice, great songwriter and fantastic guitarist, he had it all. The 'Real Deal'.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:29 am

Makes me want to cry. I wish they would hurry up and find a cure. They are trying.

Thank you very much for sharing the original photo with us.

I know that many music fans must be heartbroken at this news.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Thank you for the photo, InheritTheWind.

Such sad news, Glen's music is so beautiful.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Just wanted to add my thoughts, as well. This is, indeed, so trragic and sad. I loved Glen and his music was truly some of the best I've ever heard. I never got to see him in person, but he was one of my favorites. Thanks for the wonderful picture.

Elvisly,

Linda

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 am

Very sad to hear,always enjoyed his work

mobile reply

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:53 am

It's a cruel disease.

How awful to see such a vital and creative man in such sad circumstances.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:26 am

It's a particularly nasty illness, horrible disease.
Very difficult for any family members to deal and care for Glen on a day to day basis in their own home.
Glens family will have more or less lost the man they knew to this curse of a disease.

The disease will probably be at an advanced stage.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 am

It is unbelievably sad. For mr. Campbell, but probably more so for his loved ones. My mother has this damned illness too, like her mother had. So she knows where she's heading. These days she's still able to get around with some care now and then. But she's aware, that is the bad part. When the illness progresses she won't be anymore. I guess that would be better for her....?

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers for mr Campbell and his loved ones.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:41 pm

I love Glen Campbell.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:30 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:I hate to hear this. Glen has always been one of my favorites. I am friends with his daughter Ashley on FB and she is a very nice person. She played banjo in her dad's band before he retired.

Ashley was wonderful with him during his last tour. She seems like a lovely person. She and her two brothers, Cal and Shannon, courageously backed their father in his band during a sometimes painful last tour. Their composure during the tour was really admirable. (In contrast, Glen's wife, Kim, seems a little icy but maybe that's her coping mechanism.)

Alzheimer's is a devastating and ruthless disease. My best friend's mother had Alzheimer's disease and it was painful to watch her rapid decline. It's extremely sad to hear that Campbell was moved into a facility that deals with Alzheimer's but, as JCVD noted, it was inevitable.

Here's a story that ran on CBS Sunday Morning in 2012 that's worth watching. It's a profile on his last tour and it features an interview with Glen. What's interesting is that he has trouble remembering recent events but is amazingly lucid when discussing his past.

phpBB [video]

Interestingly, Glen Campbell's last album of new material, Ghost On The Canvas, is one of his finest. (See You There is technically his last album but it's comprised of songs he previously recorded.) Producer Julian Raymond lovingly put together an incredible album of original material and cover songs. Raymond wrote several of the songs with Campbell by writing down Campbell's thoughts and recollections on a note pad and incorporating them into the lyrics. One of the songs they wrote together, A Better Place, is extremely touching:

phpBB [video]

(Note that Queen of the Stone Age's Josh Homme makes an appearance in the video.)

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:58 am

Gosh, the Documentary places Glen's situation into prospective. Such a sad and heart wrenching situation for his family and loved ones.

"A Better Place" is a beautiful song. How painful for everyone.

Thank you InheritTheWind.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:17 am

I guess the shock is how rapidly the decline has come. It was just a couple years ago he was touring, and although he had moments of forgetfulness, the performances, overall, were very good. I know it's hell for the family, watched my grandmother suffer through this illness her last 3 years. Typically they do remember events from the past much more vividly than things happening in the present. Grandma didn't even know who I was the last few times I saw her.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:43 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I guess the shock is how rapidly the decline has come. It was just a couple years ago he was touring, and although he had moments of forgetfulness, the performances, overall, were very good. I know it's hell for the family, watched my grandmother suffer through this illness her last 3 years. Typically they do remember events from the past much more vividly than things happening in the present. Grandma didn't even know who I was the last few times I saw her.

I am so sorry, Lonely Summer, that must have been painful.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Mountain Misst wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:I guess the shock is how rapidly the decline has come. It was just a couple years ago he was touring, and although he had moments of forgetfulness, the performances, overall, were very good. I know it's hell for the family, watched my grandmother suffer through this illness her last 3 years. Typically they do remember events from the past much more vividly than things happening in the present. Grandma didn't even know who I was the last few times I saw her.

I am so sorry, Lonely Summer, that must have been painful.

It was awful, so I can imagine how hard this move must be for Glen's family, but his wife Kim says he needs someone watching him 24/7. It really is an evil disease, sure hope a cure is found soon.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Very sad news indeed. I had the pleasure of seeing Glen on stage several times in the UK and he was great. I rate him as one of the top 10 singers of all time. He was so talented and could play so many instruments including the bagpipes and of course was a brilliant guitarist.

The world is a cruel place at times.

Brian :(

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:12 am

Sad news.Good on Glen though for laying down new tracks and performing live while he still could and knowing what was around the corner.Very brave.

norrie

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:38 am

norrie wrote:Sad news.Good on Glen though for laying down new tracks and performing live while he still could and knowing what was around the corner.Very brave.

norrie

Yes, Ghost on the Canvas is one of his best albums, and the newer one, See You There, is also very enjoyable. Still sounds great as a singer, hope he is singing to his new neighbors at the care facility.