Off Topic Messages

Noah/Noah's Ark

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:15 am

I confess that I have not seen Noah, and am not likely to. However, the more clips I see of it on TV the more (a) I think it looks like a spoof, and (b) I think CGI has turned film so that it starts to look like a computer game.

So, here's the big flood scene from Noah's Ark, made in 1928/9. It was made just as Hollywood was turning to sound, and so some talkie sequences were inserted into what was essentially a silent film. The structure is a little odd, in that the Noah's Ark sequence makes up very little of the running time of the film. The first half and the final quarter of the film is actually set during World War I. Then that story stops when a preacher tells those around him of the story of Noah's Ark, which is acted out by the people playing the leads in the WWI section, and then the WWI story gets concluded.

The film starred George O'Brien (as you'll see in the clip, I was his body double!) and Dolores Costello. And there is an Elvis link too - the film was directed by Michael Curtiz, who directed King Creole.

The flood scene in the film has got a story attached to it that three extras died during the filming - whether this is fact or simply the studio generating morbid publicity is something no-one seems to have figured out (ie. "come see this film, the flood is so realistic people died in the making".) It was taken as fact for years, but is generally regarded as myth these days.

The film remains remarkably entertaining even 85 years after it was made. It's available to purchase as part of The Warner Archive Collection.

Here's a piece from the flood scene - no CGI. Just water!

phpBB [video]

Re: Noah/Noah's Ark

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:10 pm

I love that film! This and 1929's "Atlantic" are two films I, for some unknown reason, ALWAYS watch back to back!

Habits!!!

I don't fancy the new Noah film at all. It looks crap.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I love that film! This and 1929's "Atlantic" are two films I, for some unknown reason, ALWAYS watch back to back!

Habits!!!

I don't fancy the new Noah film at all. It looks crap.

I'm particularly disappointed to see that Logan Lerman is in Noah - he has put in some terrific performances over the last few years, particularly in Perks of Being a Wallflower and My One and Only (which nobody seems to have seen). He's a fine young actor, hugely likeable, and I hope that this isn't a sign of him turning his back on more leftfield films, as that would be a huge shame - he's in a big budget war film at the end of the year, too. The few big budget films he has done previously have been disappointing - the Percy Jackson films and Three Musketeers (although the latter was so bonkers it was entertaining).

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:44 am

poormadpeter wrote:I'm particularly disappointed to see that Logan Lerman is in Noah - he has put in some terrific performances over the last few years, particularly in Perks of Being a Wallflower

Definitely! Logan was great and very believable and endearing in this. Even Emma Watson put in a fine performance. I love seeing mainstream actors in more independent style films. I still hold Junebug as Amy Adams' finest hour.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:21 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I confess that I have not seen Noah, and am not likely to. However, the more clips I see of it on TV the more (a) I think it looks like a spoof, and (b) I think CGI has turned film so that it starts to look like a computer game.

You should really see a film before openly condemning it.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:57 pm

I saw a Ray Winstone interview the other day where he spoke of the Ark used in the new film. He said it was built for real and is enormous - you can see it very clearly from 30,000 feet up in a plane. He said they wanted to avoid using too much CGI as it destroys the authenticity.

I thought that sounded promising. But then it showed some clips and it looked very CGI heavy to me, as is usual nowadays. Man, that bloody "Man of Steel" crap that came out last year - that may as well have been animated 100%! I don't know why they bothered hiring actors.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I saw a Ray Winstone interview the other day where he spoke of the Ark used in the new film. He said it was built for real and is enormous - you can see it very clearly from 30,000 feet up in a plane. He said they wanted to avoid using too much CGI as it destroys the authenticity.

I thought that sounded promising. But then it showed some clips and it looked very CGI heavy to me, as is usual nowadays. Man, that bloody "Man of Steel" crap that came out last year - that may as well have been animated 100%! I don't know why they bothered hiring actors.

This is the problem - real ark or not, the rest is quite obviously CGI.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I confess that I have not seen Noah, and am not likely to. However, the more clips I see of it on TV the more (a) I think it looks like a spoof, and (b) I think CGI has turned film so that it starts to look like a computer game.

I have seen the clips I am talking about, and can pass judgement on the elements I discuss above based on that. As a man who judges Steve Allen on one hour of his TV show, I don't think you have room to talk.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Im gonna see this film tomorrow and looking forward to it.

I can understand some not liking CGI as its in most films of today but i have no problem with it, especially in a film like Noah.

What i like about todays films at the cinema is the imax effect in 3D, quite amazing and so much better than the normal showing of films.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:08 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I have seen the clips I am talking about, and can pass judgement on the elements I discuss above based on that.

How hypocritical of you. Yet, it's par for the course. ;-)

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I have seen the clips I am talking about, and can pass judgement on the elements I discuss above based on that.

How hypocritical of you. Yet, it's par for the course. ;-)

A trailer for a film, Doc, is made with the sole intention of getting the viewer to make an opinion of the film. But film really isn't your strong point. Is it?

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:29 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:How hypocritical of you. Yet, it's par for the course. ;-)

A trailer for a film, Doc, is made with the sole intention of getting the viewer to make an opinion of the film.

Wrong. A motion picture trailer's primary intention is to get the viewer to buy a ticket and attend a showing.

Film really isn't your strong point. Is it?

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:How hypocritical of you. Yet, it's par for the course. ;-)

A trailer for a film, Doc, is made with the sole intention of getting the viewer to make an opinion of the film.

Wrong. A motion picture trailer's primary intention is to get the viewer to buy a ticket and attend a showing.

By getting the viewer to make an opinion about the film. I really would stay off the film topics if I were you. You did remain rather quiet when Rio Bravo was chosen as the 63rd best film ever made by critics, didn't you? Well, better than that admitting you were wrong, I guess.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:50 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Wrong. A motion picture trailer's primary intention is to get the viewer to buy a ticket and attend a showing.

By getting the viewer to make an opinion about the film. I really would stay off the film topics if I were you. You did remain rather quiet when Rio Bravo was chosen as the 63rd best film ever made by critics, didn't you? Well, better than that admitting you were wrong, I guess.

Your assertion was ludicrous about "Rio Bravo," no comment was necessary.

There are hundreds of motion pictures that may be considered greater cinematic statements than that Howard Hawks film. It may not even be in the top ten of Hawk's own work.

It's so very sad you'd rather argue than admit to these facts.

But, of course, arguing is what you do. Without it, you have nothing to say.

We anxiously await your next "cinema trailer review" of an upcoming motion picture. ;-)

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Wrong. A motion picture trailer's primary intention is to get the viewer to buy a ticket and attend a showing.

Your assertion was ludicrous about "Rio Bravo," no comment was necessary.

There are hundreds of motion pictures that may be considered greater cinematic statements than that Howard Hawks film. It may not even be in the top ten of Hawk's own work.

Your words in that thread were "anyone with a even a cursory knowledge of Hollywood film, let alone world cinema, wouldn't put "Rio Bravo" in a top 100 list of greatest films ever made."

The facts were that a survey of film critics by one of the most respected film institutes in the world found the film to be the 63rd best film ever made. I made that quite clear. And gave you the link: http://explore.bfi.org.uk/sightandsoundpolls/2012/film/4ce2b6b461386

The above is a fact. In fact 24 of those critics put the film in their TOP TEN.

The only denial of that is if you regard "1,000 critics, programmers, academics, distributors, writers and other cinephiles" (the people who took part in the survey) as not having a "cursory knowledge" of Hollywood films. http://explore.bfi.org.uk/sightandsoundpolls/2012/

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:35 am

poormadpeter wrote:A trailer for a film, Doc, is made with the sole intention of getting the viewer to make an opinion of the film.

No it's not. A trailer is made to entice and to whet.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:10 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:A trailer for a film, Doc, is made with the sole intention of getting the viewer to make an opinion of the film.

I love it when you talk dirty.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:20 am

Not interested in seeing the film at all. Too much is changed from the biblical perspective. No mention of God, so that's not looking too good either. According to my friend, "rock people" help Noah build the ark in this movie. Not sure what those are, but I'm just going to pass on this one.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:37 am

bunnygirl wrote:Not interested in seeing the film at all. Too much is changed from the biblical perspective. No mention of God, so that's not looking too good either. According to my friend, "rock people" help Noah build the ark in this movie. Not sure what those are, but I'm just going to pass on this one.

rock people? That's Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis then!

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:46 am

poormadpeter wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:Not interested in seeing the film at all. Too much is changed from the biblical perspective. No mention of God, so that's not looking too good either. According to my friend, "rock people" help Noah build the ark in this movie. Not sure what those are, but I'm just going to pass on this one.

rock people? That's Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis then!

I may have to rethink my decision to avoid this movie afterall. :lol:

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:29 am

mike edwards66 wrote:

Thank you.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

I love it when you talk dirty.

Good one :wink:

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:37 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I have seen the clips I am talking about, and can pass judgement on the elements I discuss above based on that. As a man who judges Steve Allen on one hour of his TV show, I don't think you have room to talk.

Your wrong you can't pass judgement on a 3 hour movie if you have only seen a 3 min trailer :shock: you need to see the movie then if you don't like it then fair enough !!!

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 pm

rocknroller wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Your wrong you can't pass judgement on a 3 hour movie if you have only seen a 3 min trailer :shock: you need to see the movie then if you don't like it then fair enough !!!

Can we go back to the basics of my opening post, in which nowhere do I pass judgement on the film - I pass judgement on the trailer and the use of CGI within it. Nowhere have I said the film is crap, or that anyone's performance is awful, or that the script is bad etc etc. All I have said is that, having seen the trailer and extended clips, I have no interest in seeing it. What's more, those opening two lines were quite clearly just a way in to talk about the 1929 film - but, oh look, somebody sent the thread in a completely different direction. Now, who could that be...

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:19 pm

i am looking forward to seeing this and deciding for myself whether i like it