Off Topic Messages

"Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 pm

For those of you who like Orion or those who would be interested in learning more about his fascinating story, here is a link to a fund-raising campaign of the movie. It also have an intro by the director, Jeanie Finlay, who has done a marvellous job.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/orion ... ld-be-king

So for those of you who wants to see a good documentary come to life please hit the donate button. :)

All best,
Kenneth D.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Image


:?

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Miss Finlay is asking $50,000 from gullable Orion fans in order for her to release the DVD ? Good luck with that. :facep:

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:33 am

CrownElectric wrote:
So for those of you who wants to see a good documentary come to life please hit the donate button. :)


Sounds like a bonafide scam to me.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:37 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Miss Finlay is asking $50,000 from gullable Orion fans in order for her to release the DVD ? Good luck with that. :facep:



OMG I had a mixture of yawning and feeling terrible that people could do this to other's.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:24 am

It's not a scam. Lots of projects are funded in this way these days.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:57 pm

TJ wrote:It's not a scam. Lots of projects are funded in this way these days.



It certainly is. She's basically playing with the Orion fanbase, dangling the DVD on a string like a carrot...threatening to cancel the project if she does not get her $50, 000 ransom money. Sounds like a bonafide extortion to me.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 pm

well, maybe she should have secured a budget before production began (DUH!) She has basically made the project a reality and want the fan's to foot the bill and, i agree, she's dangling the DVD in front of Orion fans and giving them the ultimatum of "no money...no movie"
so they feel obligated to donate. Anyone with connected brain cells know that business is a risk...you might make money then maybe you won't. That's the chance you take.
From what i've been told (unofficial sources), Jeanie Finlay, the producer, has secured a deal to have her documentary shown on tv in Germany and Sweden where Orion was more popular than he was in the US. and i'm sure that if the project gets finished, she will be making money from that deal, at the very least.
Funny part about the ORION MOVIE trailer.......some of the scenes contained in the trailer feature an Orion impersonator ! So, that means this....you have a guy who impersonates a guy who impersonated Elvis. :wtf:

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Orion = tastless drivel.

And that's about all I gotta say about Thaaat!

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:10 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Orion = tastless drivel.

And that's about all I gotta say about Thaaat!


Hey mate.
Did you start liking Queen already?

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:27 pm

elvisbot wrote:well, maybe she should have secured a budget before production began (DUH!) She has basically made the project a reality and want the fan's to foot the bill and, i agree, she's dangling the DVD in front of Orion fans and giving them the ultimatum of "no money...no movie"
so they feel obligated to donate. Anyone with connected brain cells know that business is a risk...you might make money then maybe you won't. That's the chance you take.
From what i've been told (unofficial sources), Jeanie Finlay, the producer, has secured a deal to have her documentary shown on tv in Germany and Sweden where Orion was more popular than he was in the US. and i'm sure that if the project gets finished, she will be making money from that deal, at the very least.
Funny part about the ORION MOVIE trailer.......some of the scenes contained in the trailer feature an Orion impersonator ! So, that means this....you have a guy who impersonates a guy who impersonated Elvis. :wtf:



Well said.

:shock: I've hit the floor with this subject at hand - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Terrible.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:09 pm

javilu wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Orion = tastless drivel.

And that's about all I gotta say about Thaaat!


Hey mate.
Did you start liking Queen already?

Don't tell anybody ... but someone in Australia caught part of me singing ..er .... THIS....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQrR9MozzM

.....oh the shame.... :facep:

:smt002

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
javilu wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Orion = tastless drivel.

And that's about all I gotta say about Thaaat!


Hey mate.
Did you start liking Queen already?

Don't tell anybody ... but someone in Australia caught part of me singing ..er .... THIS....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQrR9MozzM

.....oh the shame.... :facep:

:smt002



Did not know you can sing Freddy Mercury...well done Andy ! :smt023

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
javilu wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Orion = tastless drivel.

And that's about all I gotta say about Thaaat!


Hey mate.
Did you start liking Queen already?

Don't tell anybody ... but someone in Australia caught part of me singing ..er .... THIS....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQrR9MozzM

.....oh the shame.... :facep:

:smt002


Great job!
But you could have picked a less well known song!

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:22 pm

The invisible band didn't know "I love my car" :smt002

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The invisible band didn't know "I love my car" :smt002


Next time you should try something like this:

phpBB [video]

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:49 am

Jimmy Ellis was a fine singer, and a fine talent in his own right. His story is both enthralling and tragic.

Before he became Orion, Jimmy had modest success as a singer under his own name. Jimmy did indeed sound like Elvis, the irony for Jimmy, was that he sounded more like Elvis when he was Jimmy Ellis, than when he was Orion. As himself, unless he altered his natural vocal modulation and tonality, he couldn't help but be compared with the King.

Take a listen to this Jimmy Ellis B-side, and then to Jimmy as Orion.

phpBB [video]




This is Jimmy in full Orion mode, he's miming here of course, but listen to the timbre of his voice, and his phrasing on the line ...............'I know I act crazy, oh but I can't help myself'.....is simply beautiful.

phpBB [video]




And from 73' this is Jimmy's There Ya Go from the McCloud tv series. Enjoy.
phpBB [video]

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:34 am

Who could think that was Elvis?

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:08 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Many years ago, a friend went and saw Orion in concert and met him and got this album signed. He said he was very nice and put on a great show. Later on he gave the album to me.
By all accounts, Jimmy was a nice , and, down to earth guy.

Francesc wrote:Who could think that was Elvis?
Plenty did, at the time. Jimmy had a fine voice, naturally similar to Elvis in texture and tone (see my post above/below). He couldn't compare to the King, but then, few could.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:35 am

Francesc wrote:Who could think that was Elvis?



I agree with you. In my view, the difference in voices is marked. I don't see any similarity whatsoever. Elvis' voice was not put on in anyway, either. I like people to be who they are, totally, and not to put any other voice on, than their own. It just doesn't seem natural to me.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:42 am

From 1964, this song Love is but a Love, coupled with Don't Count your Chickens, were Jimmy's first recordings.
phpBB [video]


Don't Count your Chickens (for those who are interested !)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9NKRGGYxA


This 1973 Jimmy Ellis single release, is the song that inadvertently would play a part in Jimmy becoming Orion. When Shelby Singleton first heard this record, he didn't know who the singer was, but he knew he sounded like the King. After Elvis died, it was Shelby who formulated the idea of turning Jimmy Ellis into Orion.
phpBB [video]





This is a beautiful song, regardless of who is singing it. I could well imagine Elvis singing this, Jimmy's voice is rich and full on this live recording. And although he is in full Orion mode, for me, this is an honest Jimmy Ellis vocal, and one of his best.
phpBB [video]

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 pm

stories that really sicken me about the entire Orion thing at Sun Records:

-a woman who forced her teenaged daughter to drop out of high school so that they could travel around the Southern U.S. to follow Orion on his various concert tours because they were both convinced that Orion was Elvis.
-Fans at concerts claiming that there were two Orions who performed that night and said that one of them was Elvis with a mask.
-Sun Records claiming that Orion had recorded "Save the last dance for me" with Jerry Lee Lewis when in fact that 45 rpm single was an edit from 2 different recordings of the song. Jerry Lee's recording was made in the late 1950's and Orions was made in 1978 and both vocals spliced together.
-every piece of promotional material released by Sun Records strongly suggested that Orion was Elvis and Jimmy Ellis was forced to play out the deception in interviews and concert appearances. Why turn into con men to fool the public?
Here's why: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

-one more thing. it's obvious that this was totally a money deal because Sun Records owner Shelby Singleton and Jimmy Ellis hated each other since day 1. Every meeting between the two erupted into fist fights and screaming matches.

Hopefully, this thread will cease to exist just like Jimmy Ellis and Shelby Singleton have.

I rest my case.

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 pm

Ya... he looks just like Elvis... it's uncanny :facep:

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:15 am

elvisbot wrote:stories that really sicken me about the entire Orion thing at Sun Records:

-a woman who forced her teenaged daughter to drop out of high school so that they could travel around the Southern U.S. to follow Orion on his various concert tours because they were both convinced that Orion was Elvis.

Yeah, that is quite sickening. It would seem that, Jimmy, like the King, had some pretty dumb fans.

elvisbot wrote:Hopefully, this thread will cease to exist just like Jimmy Ellis

Jimmy lives on in the hearts of those, enlightened individuals, who recognise what a fine talent, fine singer and thoroughly nice guy he was.

We salute the talent that was, and (thanks to youtube) always will be, Jimmy Ellis.

Won't you join us, you know it makes sense.

phpBB [video]

Re: "Orion - The Man Who Would Be King" movie trailer

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 am

Here's another masked orion classic...

phpBB [video]