Off Topic Messages

Re: Whose is your favorite Beatle?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:28 am

javilu wrote:
keninlincs wrote:George,after meeting him in the 1980s

Tell us more, Ken!
I
I happened to be in Harrods in 1988 and Saw a man who looked a lot like George,so I went a little closer for a better look,indeed it was George,who was buying a train set.i asked if I could have his autograph and he said yes .I waited for him to complete his purchases and then he gave me the autograph. I told him I liked the Wilburys album, and his reply was "yes they are a good little band"He asked if I liked his other group so I said "obviously"and he laughed.thats the end of the saga of the autograph,but I always thought he was thoroughly nice.unfortunately I no longer have the autograph but the memory is fresh in my mind
mobile reply

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 am

John, Paul, George and Ringo.

They are all one Beatles.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:43 am

keninlincs wrote:
javilu wrote:

Tell us more, Ken!
I
I happened to be in Harrods in 1988 and Saw a man who looked a lot like George,so I went a little closer for a better look,indeed it was George,who was buying a train set.i asked if I could have his autograph and he said yes .I waited for him to complete his purchases and then he gave me the autograph. I told him I liked the Wilburys album, and his reply was "yes they are a good little band"He asked if I liked his other group so I said "obviously"and he laughed.thats the end of the saga of the autograph,but I always thought he was thoroughly nice.unfortunately I no longer have the autograph but the memory is fresh in my mind
mobile reply

Thanks for sharing this neat story, Ken.

Here's somethng about Harrison I posted a few months ago that you may enjoy, if you don't already know :

Following George's death in November 2001, British magazine "Mojo" devoted the front cover and eight pages of tribute to the departed ex-Beatle in its January 2002 issue.

One of the writings was by Tom Petty, who was a friend of George's, and had collaborated with him in The Traveling Wilbury's project.

Here's an Elvis-related excerpt :

We spent a lot of time at his house over the years. He's really just a sweetheart. I don't want to go on or I'll be embarrassed. He did do a great thing one night, where he was cleaning out his living room, some closets or something. His wife Olivia said, 'George, what do I do with this ?'. He walked down the hall and said, 'You like Elvis, don't you ?' and I say, 'Yeah'.

So he throws me this leather holster and it's Elvis's holster. Elvis had given it to The Beatles one night and George goes, 'Do you want it ? It's signed and everything'. I said, 'You don't want this ?'. He's like, 'I gotta get all this stuff out of here'. He gave me the holster. That meant a lot to me.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:23 am

keninlincs wrote:
javilu wrote:

Tell us more, Ken!
I
mobile reply

What a cool story!
What happened to the autograph?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:52 am

javilu wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
javilu wrote:

Tell us more, Ken!
I
mobile reply

What a cool story!

The girl I was living with at the time threw it out with some stuff I left behind when we split up,instead of asking if I wanted any of it.
mobile reply
Last edited by keninlincs on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:55 am

Mister Moon wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
javilu wrote:

Tell us more, Ken!
I
mobile reply

Thanks for sharing this neat story, Ken.

Here's somethng about Harrison I posted a few months ago that you may enjoy, if you don't already know :

Following George's death in November 2001, British magazine "Mojo" devoted the front cover and eight pages of tribute to the departed ex-Beatle in its January 2002 issue.

One of the writings was by Tom Petty, who was a friend of George's, and had collaborated with him in The Traveling Wilbury's project.

Here's an Elvis-related excerpt :

We spent a lot of time at his house over the years. He's really just a sweetheart. I don't want to go on or I'll be embarrassed. He did do a great thing one night, where he was cleaning out his living room, some closets or something. His wife Olivia said, 'George, what do I do with this ?'. He walked down the hall and said, 'You like Elvis, don't you ?' and I say, 'Yeah'.

So he throws me this leather holster and it's Elvis's holster. Elvis had given it to The Beatles one night and George goes, 'Do you want it ? It's signed and everything'. I said, 'You don't want this ?'. He's like, 'I gotta get all this stuff out of here'. He gave me the holster. That meant a lot to me.

Thanks Mister Moon I remember reading that

mobile reply

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 am

At one point in 1964, Elvis was even consciously emulating the visual style of the Beatles!

FAB FOUR --> 1964

EAP FOUR --> 1964

He really loved them!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:At one point in 1964, Elvis was even consciously emulating the visual style of the Beatles!

FAB FOUR --> 1964

EAP FOUR --> 1964

He really loved them!

I think you may be onto something here, seriously. Girl Happy was filmed in 1964 and bands both in the USA and abroad were huge. It is not by accident that Elvis appeared as part of a band in this film to fit in with the times as opposed to his some of his recent films. Too bad the music wasnt up to snuff.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:22 pm

keninlincs wrote:
javilu wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
javilu wrote:

Tell us more, Ken!
I
mobile reply

What a cool story!

The girl I was living with at the time threw it out with some stuff I left behind when we split up,instead of asking if I wanted any of it.
mobile reply

George is my second favorite Beatle.

Great story when you met George. Thanks for sharing.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:35 pm

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:At one point in 1964, Elvis was even consciously emulating the visual style of the Beatles!

FAB FOUR --> 1964

EAP FOUR --> 1964

He really loved them!

I think you may be onto something here, seriously. Girl Happy was filmed in 1964 and bands both in the USA and abroad were huge. It is not by accident that Elvis appeared as part of a band in this film to fit in with the times as opposed to his some of his recent films. Too bad the music wasnt up to snuff.

Imagine if the music had been great, a lot might have been different after that.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:40 am

Ken, that George story is awesome!! Must've been very cool. I'm sure it would be great to still have the autograph, but the memory will live forever.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:09 am

My Dad always recalls being with a girlfriend, when spotting George [with guitar case in hand] hop on the bus he was travelling on, while he was living in Speke, Liverpool.

It was pre-fame, but at the time when they were beginning to make waves locally... so must have been around 1960/61.

Cool memories.