Off Topic Messages

Re: Rob?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Boy...this is a major shock...Rob was always one of the good guys and always encouraged me when things came up (such as my recent surgery). I'm really gonna miss him....

(Damn it!)

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 pm

rjm wrote:Now, one can create a new account, but I think that currently violates the rules. (Although it may or may not apply to the new circumstances of having deleted oneself.) There may be no way to recover his posts, but perhaps the handle "Rob" could be retired. In that event, only the real one could (re)claim his username. (As verified by all that networking stuff I somewhat comprehend.) His history would still be gone, but he could stage a Comeback.

So what you're saying is that if somebody was to open an account now, they could theoretically adopt the name "Rob" and then hold the real Rob to ransom at a later date. A bit like those people who bought up the domain names of famous companies back in the days before anyone knew they were going to be worth anything.

I just have to go and make a couple of phone calls....

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:40 pm

"When I left before, I did make a brief farewell speech. I didn't do that this time. I just deleted the account and left. I won't be back."

"I do hope someone at FECC sees this and can copy and paste in case anyone cares."

Rob is certainly entitled to do anything he wishes, but those two comments really contradict each other. He refuses to say goodbye, but hopes someone else says it for him--in his words. If you really want to be heard, be heard. Simple. At the end of the day, this is just a message board.

Rob said he had nothing more to contribute, which is not true for any of us. He contributed mightily here, as several members do. Sure, the topics seldom change, but how could they after the main subject left us so long ago?

We always get fresh perspectives on just about every topic, and we never stop learning.

Long live FECC.............:D

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 pm

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks, Rob, for deleting your FECC account, and posting an explanation elsewhere. That's classy.

Hope all is well in Cincinati.

I think he realized too late that he couldn't post here after he self-immolated his identity and history. He was up in smoke. He said he hoped someone would "copy and paste" what he had to say - here.

As I said, Twitter allows account deletions (Bill was gone, apparently - until he came back), but has a grace period if you change your mind.

Now, one can create a new account, but I think that currently violates the rules. (Although it may or may not apply to the new circumstances of having deleted oneself.) There may be no way to recover his posts, but perhaps the handle "Rob" could be retired. In that event, only the real one could (re)claim his username. (As verified by all that networking stuff I somewhat comprehend.) His history would still be gone, but he could stage a Comeback.

It's just that with all the recent chaos, sturm and drang on Facebook, this forum seems like a pretty wonderful place! (Warts and and all.)

Yes, things are repeated. Another EIC thread. Maybe that drove him over the edge. But it's part of the charm. It's like an old relative at a family gathering bringing up that same old "story" again.

rjm

Sent via mobile

As nuts as always. He deleted his account like he did a few years ago, I'm sure he knew the consequences. He will be back eventually.

Note: AS nuts as always was not directed to Rob.
Last edited by Francesc on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:04 pm

The Pirate wrote:
rjm wrote:Now, one can create a new account, but I think that currently violates the rules. (Although it may or may not apply to the new circumstances of having deleted oneself.) There may be no way to recover his posts, but perhaps the handle "Rob" could be retired. In that event, only the real one could (re)claim his username. (As verified by all that networking stuff I somewhat comprehend.) His history would still be gone, but he could stage a Comeback.

So what you're saying is that if somebody was to open an account now, they could theoretically adopt the name "Rob" and then hold the real Rob to ransom at a later date. A bit like those people who bought up the domain names of famous companies back in the days before anyone knew they were going to be worth anything.

I just have to go and make a couple of phone calls....

Maybe he could just come back as Rob.. then he could still buy all the new releases and pay top dollar for them but also moan about every new release and point out that we`ve had it all before and what a rip off they are. :P
He said he would leave if it ever stopped being fun and that`s just what he has done , No fuss or drama he just kept his word and I seriously doubt he is frantically trying to reinstate his account, He is more likely to be simply getting on with his life and as it was his decision to leave I think we should just wish him well and leave him to get on with it.

Alan.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, but what difference does it make if someone deletes all their posts.

It's not as if the said posts are going to get many future reads, even if they are left intact.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:35 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, but what difference does it make if someone deletes all their posts.

It's not as if the said posts are going to get many future reads, even if they are left intact.

No one reads my posts even when I don't delete them :evil: :P

Alan.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:00 am

mike edwards66 wrote:I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, but what difference does it make if someone deletes all their posts.

Depends what the posts are. People can and do search for information on here, and it would be very frustrating to read through a thread that had obvious continuity errors.

Anyway, why delete them at all? What's the problem with leaving them intact, what is a person afraid will happen if they remain?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:10 am

Rob what happened ?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:48 am

tcb4 wrote:Rob what happened ?

How can you protect a Rob from himself?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:16 am

Mister Mike wrote:

How can you protect a Rob from himself?

LOL.......

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:18 am

Chad Gates wrote:

No one reads my posts even when I don't delete them :evil: :P

Alan.

That's true. I cannot recall the last one of your posts that I read. Oh, wait.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:57 am

Thank you Rob for choosing the best Elvis MB for your farewell :lol:

Just kiddin', we're gonna miss you mate.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:25 am

This bastard is going to miss his posts. So long, Rob.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:05 am

Me too!

I never got a chance to ask Rob about how cool it was to see Johnny Bench hit two homers at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinati on Saturday, June 25, 1977.

That was THE place to be.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Me too!

I never got a chance to ask Rob about how cool it was to see Johnny Bench hit two homers at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinati on Saturday, June 25, 1977.

That was THE place to be.

And a double too! He sure wasn't walking around giving out scarves....

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:54 am

Francesc wrote:
rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks, Rob, for deleting your FECC account, and posting an explanation elsewhere. That's classy.

Hope all is well in Cincinati.

I think he realized too late that he couldn't post here after he self-immolated his identity and history. He was up in smoke. He said he hoped someone would "copy and paste" what he had to say - here.

As I said, Twitter allows account deletions (Bill was gone, apparently - until he came back), but has a grace period if you change your mind.

Now, one can create a new account, but I think that currently violates the rules. (Although it may or may not apply to the new circumstances of having deleted oneself.) There may be no way to recover his posts, but perhaps the handle "Rob" could be retired. In that event, only the real one could (re)claim his username. (As verified by all that networking stuff I somewhat comprehend.) His history would still be gone, but he could stage a Comeback.

It's just that with all the recent chaos, sturm and drang on Facebook, this forum seems like a pretty wonderful place! (Warts and and all.)

Yes, things are repeated. Another EIC thread. Maybe that drove him over the edge. But it's part of the charm. It's like an old relative at a family gathering bringing up that same old "story" again.

rjm

Sent via mobile

As nuts as always. He deleted his account like he did a few years ago, I'm sure he knew the consequences. He will be back eventually.

I KNOW! :roll:

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:57 pm

rjm wrote:
Francesc wrote:As nuts as always. He deleted his account like he did a few years ago, I'm sure he knew the consequences. He will be back eventually.

Consider the source. Your thoughtful posts and dutiful membership always elevate the quality of this forum.

:smt001 Long may you run!

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Francesc, you're my favorite Barcelonean living in Californean.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:09 pm

javilu wrote:Francesc, you're my favorite Barcelonean living in Californean.

Thanks! I also consider the source ... :mrgreen:

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 pm

OH NO, NOT ROB TOO smt179 :smt118

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 pm

How annoying ....

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:
Francesc wrote:As nuts as always. He deleted his account like he did a few years ago, I'm sure he knew the consequences. He will be back eventually.

Consider the source. Your thoughtful posts and dutiful membership always elevate the quality of this forum.

:smt001 Long may you run!

Thanks. :)

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm going to miss his gifts.. ColinB never gave away a thing!!!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:23 am

Delboy wrote:I'm going to miss his gifts.. ColinB never gave away a thing!!!

Knowledge