Off Topic Messages

Bruce Springsteen covers Lorde's "Royals" in New Zealand

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:44 pm

More evidence that Bruce Springsteen is awesome. Here he is performing 17-year-old Lorde's Royals:

phpBB [video]

Lorde's original version:

phpBB [video]

Re: Bruce Springsteen covers Lorde's "Royals" in New Zealand

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:06 am

Thanks for posting: it's a cool song and is played a lot in my house.

Springsteen is reverting back to a fascinating practice from the 1940s and 1950s: this was a period when the song was king and various acts would simply sing that song on stage regardless of whether it was "their song" or not. That's where we get Elvis' versions of "I Got A Woman", "Tweedle-Dee", "Maybelline", etc.

To some extent, it's a practice Elvis continued throughout his studio career: I like that song so I'm going to sing it.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 am

George Smith wrote:To some extent, it's a practice Elvis continued throughout his studio career: I like that song so I'm going to sing it.

Exactly. And that's why I think it's so cool that Springsteen does covers like this. Covering a massive and current hit single written (in part) by a 17-year-old pop sensation? That's potentially a credibility killer but Springsteen doesn't care. There are no barriers when he chooses a song to cover; he sings what he likes. It doesn't matter whether he's covering a song by The Clash or Sting or The Ramones or Bryan Adams or Pete Seeger or Journey or Johnny Cash: Bruce owns it and doesn't care whether it's cool or not. He makes the songs his own. And that's one of the reasons Springsteen will always remain relevant.

Thanks, George. It's always a pleasure reading your comments.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
George Smith wrote:To some extent, it's a practice Elvis continued throughout his studio career: I like that song so I'm going to sing it.

Exactly. And that's why I think it's so cool that Springsteen does covers like this. Covering a massive and current hit single written (in part) by a 17-year-old pop sensation? That's potentially a credibility killer but Springsteen doesn't care. There are no barriers when he chooses a song to cover; he sings what he likes. It doesn't matter whether he's covering a song by The Clash or Sting or The Ramones or Bryan Adams or Pete Seeger or Journey or Johnny Cash: Bruce owns it and doesn't care whether it's cool or not. He makes the songs his own. And that's one of the reasons Springsteen will always remain relevant.

Thanks, George. It's always a pleasure reading your comments.

No, thank you for posting that cover, delightful.

I know that I'm a long way from being the world's biggest Springsteen fan but I do like and respect what he does and where he's coming from.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:53 am

Much better quality clip here:

phpBB [video]

Also check out the other video's on this guy's YouTube channel. Some amazing stuff from the Australian tour:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAussiem ... ture=watch

Finally, don't forget the official downloads. The Brisbane show (which includes the full The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle album) is arguably Springsteen's best show in recent years.

http://brucespringsteen.fanfire.com/cgi ... pringsteen

Chris