Off Topic Messages

Re: Neil Sedaka

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:56 am

I have to say that Laughter in the Rain is a song I absolutely hate with a passion! No reason. I just do! Love Will Keep Us Together is a great song and also works well in a slowed down jazzy version he recorded in the 1990s (not on youtube sadly)

As with so many singers, Sedaka's compilations concentrate solely on the hits for the most part, but there are some lovely songs hidden away on albums. My World Keeps Getting Smaller Everyday from a 1970 live album is an example - and an early example of the big ballads that he would write throughout the 70s.

phpBB [video]



Then, two decades later, he recorded this wonderful ballad, the chorus of which has a melody which is one of the most beautiful he has written I think. The slow Love Will Keep Us Together comes from the same album.

phpBB [video]



Two decades after that we have this highlight from the latest album, The Real Neil. Sedaka seems to be using a much darker edge to his voice here, perhaps finally his voice is showing signs of age - but then he has given himself nowhere to hide in such a bare arrangement. Either way, it takes nothing away from the lovely song and performance

phpBB [video]



Three ballads, each written two decades after the previous one. That's about as consistent as you can get, I guess!

Re: Neil Sedaka

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 am

phpBB [video]

Re: Neil Sedaka

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 am

Renan wrote:
phpBB [video]



Would have been a good song for Elvis in the early 60s, that one. It would have fit quite nicely onto Something for Everybody.

Re: Neil Sedaka

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:50 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Renan wrote:
phpBB [video]



Would have been a good song for Elvis in the early 60s, that one. It would have fit quite nicely onto Something for Everybody.


I never thought that but you are right. I can imagine Floyd Cramer on piano arranging the song.

BTW, I think Neil does a great job on this song, especially on this live version. He seems to have a lot of fun so does the crowd.

Re: Neil Sedaka

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:44 am

Renan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Renan wrote:
phpBB [video]



Would have been a good song for Elvis in the early 60s, that one. It would have fit quite nicely onto Something for Everybody.


I never thought that but you are right. I can imagine Floyd Cramer on piano arranging the song.

BTW, I think Neil does a great job on this song, especially on this live version. He seems to have a lot of fun so does the crowd.


It's a great little song. And we shouldn't forget just how good a pianist Sedaka is either. His playing on Bobby Darin's Bullmoose helps make that record a classic.

Re: Neil Sedaka

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Renan wrote:
phpBB [video]



Would have been a good song for Elvis in the early 60s, that one. It would have fit quite nicely onto Something for Everybody.

Or "Elvis Camps It Up" as it would have become known. Or possibly "Kitsch - A Falling Star".

"I'm gonna take a trip to Lonesome Town,
Gonna stay at Heartbreak Hotel.
A fool such as I, there never was,
I cried a tear so well."

I don't think so.

Re: Neil Sedaka

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:40 pm

The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Would have been a good song for Elvis in the early 60s, that one. It would have fit quite nicely onto Something for Everybody.

Or "Elvis Camps It Up" as it would have become known. Or possibly "Kitsch - A Falling Star".

"I'm gonna take a trip to Lonesome Town,
Gonna stay at Heartbreak Hotel.
A fool such as I, there never was,
I cried a tear so well."

I don't think so.


There is nothing kitsch or camp about those lyrics....or indeed the song itself.

Re: Neil Sedaka

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 am

Mike S wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Would have been a good song for Elvis in the early 60s, that one. It would have fit quite nicely onto Something for Everybody.

Or "Elvis Camps It Up" as it would have become known. Or possibly "Kitsch - A Falling Star".

"I'm gonna take a trip to Lonesome Town,
Gonna stay at Heartbreak Hotel.
A fool such as I, there never was,
I cried a tear so well."

I don't think so.


There is nothing kitsch or camp about those lyrics....or indeed the song itself.

But it would have been if Elvis had sung it. And did I mention the "Choo choo train, chuggin' down the track..." part?

Re: Neil Sedaka

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Don't forget Neil's original recording of his "It Hurts to Be in Love". RCA refused to put it since he recorded at a non-RCA studio. Neil gave the backing track and song to Gene Pitney who had a huge hit with it.

phpBB [video]

Re: Neil Sedaka

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 am

The Pirate wrote:
Mike S wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Would have been a good song for Elvis in the early 60s, that one. It would have fit quite nicely onto Something for Everybody.

Or "Elvis Camps It Up" as it would have become known. Or possibly "Kitsch - A Falling Star".

"I'm gonna take a trip to Lonesome Town,
Gonna stay at Heartbreak Hotel.
A fool such as I, there never was,
I cried a tear so well."

I don't think so.


There is nothing kitsch or camp about those lyrics....or indeed the song itself.

But it would have been if Elvis had sung it. And did I mention the "Choo choo train, chuggin' down the track..." part?


Oh, yeah, cos that part is so much less credible than Elvis singing about being a "teddy bear", or telling a girl he's hers "by heck", or bragging about he can "shake a chicken in the middle of the room..." :roll:

(or One Track Heart which features the lyrics "Just like a choo-choo train that's gotta keep a-chugging")

Re: Neil Sedaka

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:08 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Oh, yeah, cos that part is so much less credible than Elvis singing about being a "teddy bear", or telling a girl he's hers "by heck", or bragging about he can "shake a chicken in the middle of the room..." :roll:

(or One Track Heart which features the lyrics "Just like a choo-choo train that's gotta keep a-chugging")

You can't quote examples of what you think are poor lyrics, and then say "But I'll tell you what would have made it OK - if he'd sung even more of them".

Re: Neil Sedaka

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 pm

The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Oh, yeah, cos that part is so much less credible than Elvis singing about being a "teddy bear", or telling a girl he's hers "by heck", or bragging about he can "shake a chicken in the middle of the room..." :roll:

(or One Track Heart which features the lyrics "Just like a choo-choo train that's gotta keep a-chugging")

You can't quote examples of what you think are poor lyrics, and then say "But I'll tell you what would have made it OK - if he'd sung even more of them".


My point, which you clearly missed, was that a rock n roll song is not a classic because of its lyrical content - you are stating Elvis shouldn't have touched the song because of a single line of now-dated lyric. Going by that criteria, he shouldn't have recorded Hound Dog, Party, I Got Stung, Tutti Frutti, Wear My Ring Around your Neck or Teddy Bear either. Do you truly believe that?

Re: Neil Sedaka

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Oh, yeah, cos that part is so much less credible than Elvis singing about being a "teddy bear", or telling a girl he's hers "by heck", or bragging about he can "shake a chicken in the middle of the room..." :roll:

(or One Track Heart which features the lyrics "Just like a choo-choo train that's gotta keep a-chugging")

You can't quote examples of what you think are poor lyrics, and then say "But I'll tell you what would have made it OK - if he'd sung even more of them".


My point, which you clearly missed, was that a rock n roll song is not a classic because of its lyrical content - you are stating Elvis shouldn't have touched the song because of a single line of now-dated lyric. Going by that criteria, he shouldn't have recorded Hound Dog, Party, I Got Stung, Tutti Frutti, Wear My Ring Around your Neck or Teddy Bear either. Do you truly believe that?

You haven't read what I wrote either. The "choo choo train" reference was an aferthought, but the entire song wouldn't have suited Elvis and that's partly because of the self referencing bits about My Baby Left Me, Heartbreak Hotel and A Fool Such As I. That was the first thing I said. Even in 1961 that would have been a mistake.

Re: Neil Sedaka

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 am

The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Oh, yeah, cos that part is so much less credible than Elvis singing about being a "teddy bear", or telling a girl he's hers "by heck", or bragging about he can "shake a chicken in the middle of the room..." :roll:

(or One Track Heart which features the lyrics "Just like a choo-choo train that's gotta keep a-chugging")

You can't quote examples of what you think are poor lyrics, and then say "But I'll tell you what would have made it OK - if he'd sung even more of them".


My point, which you clearly missed, was that a rock n roll song is not a classic because of its lyrical content - you are stating Elvis shouldn't have touched the song because of a single line of now-dated lyric. Going by that criteria, he shouldn't have recorded Hound Dog, Party, I Got Stung, Tutti Frutti, Wear My Ring Around your Neck or Teddy Bear either. Do you truly believe that?

You haven't read what I wrote either. The "choo choo train" reference was an aferthought, but the entire song wouldn't have suited Elvis and that's partly because of the self referencing bits about My Baby Left Me, Heartbreak Hotel and A Fool Such As I. That was the first thing I said. Even in 1961 that would have been a mistake.


There was no reference to My Baby Left Me - "my baby's leaving me" is coincidental, all other rock n roll songs namechecked are the actual titles. I think bye bye love is also coincidental, as the other names are all in the bridge. And I see no reason why Elvis couldn't have had an in-joke in a song - Sedaka himself often used lyrics that referenced his own songs.

Re: Neil Sedaka

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 pm

poormadpeter wrote:There was no reference to My Baby Left Me - "my baby's leaving me" is coincidental, all other rock n roll songs namechecked are the actual titles. I think bye bye love is also coincidental, as the other names are all in the bridge. And I see no reason why Elvis couldn't have had an in-joke in a song - Sedaka himself often used lyrics that referenced his own songs.

There's nothing coincidental about any of it in my view, but we'll have to agree to disagree. In the great list of songs that Elvis recorded, many of them sub par, I'm not for one minute suggesting that this would have been one of the poorer ones, but I don't think it would have been remembered as one of the greats either. I looked at a list of artists who had covered the song - probably not exhaustive but still pretty small - and I noticed that one of them was Barry Blue, and that pretty much did it for me. There's no way I could see Elvis' voice suiting this.