Off Topic Messages

Bruno Mars' Set at the Superbowl

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm

I'll be honest in that I've never understood the rules to this sport and neither had the inclination. Having said that Bruno's turn along with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers has made me reconsider and perhaps take the time out to watch the match. :wink:

Re: Bruno Mars' Set at the Superbowl

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah I'm sure you can catch a rerun or a torrent of the game ... I would suggest you try to get other games though, the Superbowl was pretty boring.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Francesc wrote:Yeah I'm sure you can catch a rerun or a torrent of the game ... I would suggest you try to get other games though, the Superbowl was pretty boring.

I agree. Just watch Bruno's performance on YouTube. The actual game was unwatchable; it was one of the most boring games I've ever seen. The real matchup happened on Sunday, January 19 when Seattle, aided by some horrendous calls, barely beat the 49ers.

phpBB [video]

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 pm

I caught the half-time show by chance and thought Bruno Mars was on reliably fine form -- he's one of the best performers around today and is a joy to watch. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers were also great to see, albeit briefly; they've only released two studio albums over the past decade, so here's hoping for some new material quite soon. They're an incredible band. Still one of the best, in my opinion.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Bruno Mars and his fine band gave a fantastic halftime performance. He is one of the few 21st century pop artists who knows where the bar is set, and tries to reach or surpass it. He apparently grew up doing Elvis imitations for family and friends, and is certainly rocking the Presley look circa 1957 on that worldwide stage. He also clearly loves James Brown, Prince, Michael Jackson, Little Richard, Bruce Springsteen, Sam Cooke, the Beatles and other icons of the past, yet does not slavishly imitate any of them. I look forward to what lies ahead.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdxr0z3SZ74

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
phpBB [video]

And he still performs Elvis songs on occasion. Here he is singing Jailhouse Rock at a Rainforest Foundation benefit concert in 2012:

phpBB [video]

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 am

No mention of RHCP playing unplugged guitars?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:55 am

RHCP not being plugged in is not really a controversy. They were required to play to a backing track, with live vocals, because of the difficulties of getting everything set up so quickly. If they had been given the option to play completely live, they would have.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 am

greystoke wrote: (snip) Bruno Mars (snip) he's one of the best performers around today and is a joy to watch. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers were also great to see, (snip) They're an incredible band. Still one of the best, in my opinion.

Same, same, same!!! :D

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:23 pm

The clip of Bruno Mars as a child is from a 1991 television programme called Viva Elvis, which was presented by Jonathan Ross. This was one of quite a few unusual Elvis-themed or Elvis-related programmes during the early-nineties, such as an Elvis-themed Stars in Their Eyes, which was hosted by Russ Abbott, if memory serves me right. I also remember Channel 4 and ITV giving several hours to movies and TV specials, including the Alternate Aloha on ITV during a night of Elvis programmes hosted by Johnny Vaughan. Jonathan Ross used to be involved in some good cult programmes, like Japanorama and In Search of Tarzan. Viva Elvis was certainly memorable, but more with regards to the kind of fan it exploited as opposed to Elvis, himself. When Bruno Mars rose to prominence with his own music, I certainly didn’t recall him from Viva Elvis, although it was quite fascinating to eventually see him on the Jonathan Ross show talking with the host about meeting all those years ago.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: He apparently grew up doing Elvis imitations for family and friends, and is certainly rocking the Presley look circa 1957 on that worldwide stage. He also clearly loves James Brown, Prince, Michael Jackson, Little Richard, Bruce Springsteen, Sam Cooke, the Beatles and other icons of the past, yet does not slavishly imitate any of them. I look forward to what lies ahead.

Yes, what I appreciate about him is that he'll sometimes do something that evokes a past performer, but it's always a well conceived little homage that fits seamlessly into his performance, as opposed to a rip-off or pale imitation.

The guy can also really sing.

phpBB [video]

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:37 pm

My wife are going to see his show in Ottawa on July 24th. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk