Off Topic Messages

Re: Religious Affiliation?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:11 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Here you go FVH....please watch carefully this account of a lady (Sondra Abrahams) who went through a "Near Death Experience".
You obviously have strong reservations about life after death. Maybe this will help at least broaden your mind a bit. This is anecdotal proof that the human conscience DOES survive physical death. And yes....Heaven & Hell are a lot more real than you perceive it to be.

If you'd bothered to investigate, you'd find that scientists have perfectly logic answers as to what happens to the majority of people that either are on their dying moments, or experience near-death moments.
And I assure you: Heaven, hell or the afterlife are not in the equation.
Yes, my mind is broadened. Now I've seen even more hogwash and bullsh*t.
I'm sorry, I can't be convinced.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 pm

Atheism makes "sense"; it's "logical" and seemingly consistent with science. The only problem is that science doesn't fully understand human consciousness.

What about what happens *between* people, rather than within individuals? "God" is only an English word, but isn't love real? If it is, where is it? Wasn't it here before you were born? Won't it be here after you die? Wasn't it inside you during your life, as well?

Isn't love that human "thing" that is immortal and indestructible? You can call it whatever you want, love, "soul," God. But is there something "bigger than you and I"? Something imperishable?

Scientists say "information is never lost." If so, where is the "information" that made up a lost loved one? Just gone? As though it had never been? Then what do I love? Nothing?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm

rjm wrote:Atheism makes "sense"; it's "logical" and seemingly consistent with science. The only problem is that science doesn't fully understand human consciousness.

What about what happens *between* people, rather than within individuals? "God" is only an English word, but isn't love real? If it is, where is it? Wasn't it here before you were born? Won't it be here after you die? Wasn't it inside you during your life, as well?

Isn't love that human "thing" that is immortal and indestructible? You can call it whatever you want, love, "soul," God. But is there something "bigger than you and I"? Something imperishable?

Scientists say "information is never lost." If so, where is the "information" that made up a lost loved one? Just gone? As though it had never been? Then what do I love? Nothing?

rjm

Robin, I agree with your train of thought. I really feel sorry for those agnostics & atheists who think once a human being or animal dies...that is it...LIGHTS OUT ....gone forever. I find that rather outrageously disturbing. I honestly and truly believe (even though I have no scientific data to back it up)is that the human/animal soul/spirit (consciousness) is made up of energy. According to science, energy can not be created, nor destroyed. None of us will ever die, but transition into another dimension in the cosmos......whether it be Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, is really up to the Father (Yahweh) himself.

FVH, please do more research on NDE. Sondra Abrahams is just one account of what happens during NDE. Keep in mind during the NDE process, the brain and heart are no longer functioning, therefore the brain cannot transmit any data to that person.(hallucinations cannot occur when the brain matter is shut down entirely.) That person is by all means clinically dead. Funny how many NDE'ers encounter relatively the same type of "journey" (even to those who are atheists/from different religions,ethnicities, etc..) ....going into the light, deep tunnel, reuniting with pre-deceased friends, family members, seeing God The Father, Jesus, Angels, even though he/she did not practice Christianity during their time on earth. Just keep that in mind.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 pm

I don't "feel sorry for" anyone because of their beliefs; I just want to think about the nature of what connects us.

"Lights Out" doesn't begin to describe it; if there's nothing, then "now" is nothing more than an illusion. I would like to think there is something more than that. But what I would like, and what is - are two different things. We don't know.

That "energy" could be fertilizer for all I know, but I'd like to think there is something about consciousness that is persistent.

But I wasn't talking about "the Father" or anything like that. I respect those whose beliefs don't include that.

And I respect those whose beliefs do include that. If we discuss it with mutual respect, it helps.

rjm

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:24 pm

rjm wrote:I don't "feel sorry for" anyone because of their beliefs; I just want to think about the nature of what connects us.

"Lights Out" doesn't begin to describe it; if there's nothing, then "now" is nothing more than an illusion. I would like to think there is something more than that. But what I would like, and what is - are two different things. We don't know.

That "energy" could be fertilizer for all I know, but I'd like to think there is something about consciousness that is persistent.

But I wasn't talking about "the Father" or anything like that. I respect those whose beliefs don't include that.

And I respect those whose beliefs do include that. If we discuss it with mutual respect, it helps.

rjm

I understand completely Robin, you're more of a spiritual person, rather than religious. I'm spiritual as well, but I'm also leaning more toward the Christian Faith and its teachings, that's all. I guess I was pointing something out using what I was taught growing up, Bible school, etc...

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
rjm wrote:I don't "feel sorry for" anyone because of their beliefs; I just want to think about the nature of what connects us.

rjm

I understand completely Robin, you're more of a spiritual person, rather than religious. I'm spiritual as well, but I'm also leaning more toward the Christian Faith and its teachings, that's all. I guess I was pointing something out using what I was taught growing up, Bible school, etc...

I'd like to think there are more choices available to us than either atheism fueled by scientific knowledge, or Christian fundamentalism. Let's acknowledge that there are many people among us with spiritual beliefs that don't fit either of the above.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 am

FVH wrote:If no single person would believe in god/religion, there would be no god/religion - because they're made up/based on delusions.
This is the same point you have made previously, albeit worded differently. I have already replied:
FVH wrote:My point is that there is no "god" - never was, never will be.
mike edwards66 wrote: You may be right, you may be wrong, the truth is you don't know, no one does.
My reply remains the same.

FVH wrote:If a maniac gets a voice in his head telling him to kill twenty kids - what's the tool and who's the user?
You are now changing the landscape from bad to mad. Your analogy is flawed, but I'll work with it. A 'maniac' remains a maniac regardless of whatever excuse he uses to justify his actions. It matters not whether the supposed justtification is 'voices in his head' or 'religion'.

Put simply, bad people do bad things. To blame the justification is to excuse the maniac. That seems to be the part you cannot, or will not, grasp.

FVH wrote:The reason I'm debating is that it annoys me that otherwise seemingly intelligent people actually consider this manmade fantasy as real, and waste their lives on it.
You obviously get annoyed easily. Have you considered that these, as you put it, 'seemingly intelligent people' might be right. To suggest that intelligent people shouldn't belive in God is ridiculous. This argument, like your above analogy, is flawed, and as such is easily dismissed.

FVH wrote:I don't care so much about answers, but I DO want to state my opinions regarding this bizarre phenomenon. And I think those opinions are made pretty clear.
To accept that your opinions are only that, opinions and not fact, is a move in the right direction.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:11 am

phpBB [video]

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:11 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
FVH wrote:If no single person would believe in god/religion, there would be no god/religion - because they're made up/based on delusions.
This is the same point you have made previously, albeit worded differently. I have already replied:
FVH wrote:My point is that there is no "god" - never was, never will be.
mike edwards66 wrote: You may be right, you may be wrong, the truth is you don't know, no one does.
My reply remains the same.

FVH wrote:If a maniac gets a voice in his head telling him to kill twenty kids - what's the tool and who's the user?
You are now changing the landscape from bad to mad. Your analogy is flawed, but I'll work with it. A 'maniac' remains a maniac regardless of whatever excuse he uses to justify his actions. It matters not whether the supposed justtification is 'voices in his head' or 'religion'.

Put simply, bad people do bad things. To blame the justification is to excuse the maniac. That seems to be the part you cannot, or will not, grasp.

FVH wrote:The reason I'm debating is that it annoys me that otherwise seemingly intelligent people actually consider this manmade fantasy as real, and waste their lives on it.
You obviously get annoyed easily. Have you considered that these, as you put it, 'seemingly intelligent people' might be right. To suggest that intelligent people shouldn't belive in God is ridiculous. This argument, like your above analogy, is flawed, and as such is easily dismissed.

FVH wrote:I don't care so much about answers, but I DO want to state my opinions regarding this bizarre phenomenon. And I think those opinions are made pretty clear.
To accept that your opinions are only that, opinions and not fact, is a move in the right direction.

This debate is really getting "touchee".

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:16 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I don't know of much good music coming from atheism.

What an absolutely ridiculous and pompous statement.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 am

JaneTLC wrote:
phpBB [video]

This would be funny if it weren't so horrifyingly accurate! (Taken from Genesis 22.) The Old Testament gave me nightmares! The majority of the Old Testament is ghastly, perverted and sadistic.

JaneTLC wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:I don't know of much good music coming from atheism.

What an absolutely ridiculous and pompous statement.

I agree 100%! I've read a lot of stupid things on this forum but this one takes the cake. By the way, here is a partial list of non-believers who make "good" music:

John Lennon (The Beatles)
Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
Wayne Coyne (The Flaming Lips)
Peter Buck and Mike Mills (R.E.M.)
Bjork
Sting
Kim Deal (Pixies & The Breeders)
Brian Eno
Ani DiFranco
Bob Geldof
David Gilmore and Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Billy Joel
Brian Johnston (AC/DC)
John Lydon (Sex Pistols and P.I.L.)
Shirley Manson (Garbage)
Randy Newman
Charlie Parker
Andy Partridge (XTC)
Richard Rogers (Sound of Music)
Henry Rollins (Black Flag)
Linda Ronstadt
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Frank Zappa
Alex Kapranos (Franz Ferdinand)

And there's many, many, many more...

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:57 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
By the way, here is a partial list of non-believers who make "good" music:

Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
Bjork
Sting
Brian Eno
Ani DiFranco
Bob Geldof
Billy Joel
Brian Johnston (AC/DC)
Shirley Manson (Garbage)
Randy Newman
Charlie Parker
Andy Partridge (XTC)
Linda Ronstadt
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Frank Zappa

What ??? Linda Ronstadt is an atheist ?? No Way ! She's way too pretty to be one. :shock: :shock:

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
Bjork
Sting
Brian Eno
Ani DiFranco
Bob Geldof
Billy Joel
Brian Johnston (AC/DC)
Shirley Manson (Garbage)
Randy Newman
Charlie Parker
Andy Partridge (XTC)
Linda Ronstadt
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Frank Zappa

What ??? Linda Ronstadt is an atheist ?? No Way ! She's way too pretty to be one. :shock: :shock:
John Lennon sure sounds atheist on the "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" album, but at other times in his life he expressed belief in a higher power - just not the way it was taught to him as a kid. And I do love "God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)" by Randy Newman because that's exactly the way many people imagine the deity to be.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:51 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
Bjork
Sting
Brian Eno
Ani DiFranco
Bob Geldof
Billy Joel
Brian Johnston (AC/DC)
Shirley Manson (Garbage)
Randy Newman
Charlie Parker
Andy Partridge (XTC)
Linda Ronstadt
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Frank Zappa

She describes herself as a "spiritual atheist." Whatever that means.

Wait, you don't think Billy Joel is too pretty? :?

I think it's safe to say that Christians, Atheists, Jews, Muslims, Agnostics, Buddhists and countless other believers and non-believers have all made "good" (or even great) music.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 pm

jdw89 wrote:What do you all associate yourself with religiously? Just out of curiosity.

My family is mostly Southern Baptist, but I chose to move away from denomination as it only hinders instead of helping. My personal belief is that God the Father created us and the earth and everything in it. Our sinful nature separated us from Him so He sent His Son to save us from eternal death. Accepting the free gift of grace allows us to be adopted into the family of God and to not need a sacrifice since Christ is the ultimate sacrifice. Our sins are covered by His shed blood if we acknowledge Him as Lord and Saviour and live according to God's will. There are many who say that if God were so all powerful He wouldn't let anything bad happen. But He gave us free will. We get to choose to serve Him or to serve man. And of course in this nation we are free to believe or not. I respect everyone's freedoms and choices. And I do not feel free to judge others but rather to judge my own actions. ::rocks

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 pm

bunnygirl wrote:
jdw89 wrote:What do you all associate yourself with religiously? Just out of curiosity.

My family is mostly Southern Baptist, but I chose to move away from denomination as it only hinders instead of helping. My personal belief is that God the Father created us and the earth and everything in it. Our sinful nature separated us from Him so He sent His Son to save us from eternal death. Accepting the free gift of grace allows us to be adopted into the family of God and to not need a sacrifice since Christ is the ultimate sacrifice. Our sins are covered by His shed blood if we acknowledge Him as Lord and Saviour and live according to God's will. There are many who say that if God were so all powerful He wouldn't let anything bad happen. But He gave us free will. We get to choose to serve Him or to serve man. And of course in this nation we are free to believe or not. I respect everyone's freedoms and choices. And I do not feel free to judge others but rather to judge my own actions. ::rocks

Amen Sister !!! I whole heartedly agree BG. Well put. Thank You !!! :smt023

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:40 am

bunnygirl wrote:

The baby children, though, dear Bunnygirl, who die of hunger, who have AIDS from their parents, all the tragedies in the world that happen to babies and toddlers, don't have free will, they are too young to choose, they just die in this cruel world and it happens every moment. Imagine a God watching babies die? Too horrible to contemplate.

Hugs to you.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:51 am

Mountain Misst wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:

The baby children, though, dear Bunnygirl, who die of hunger, who have AIDS from their parents, all the tragedies in the world that happen to babies and toddlers, don't have free will, they are too young to choose, they just die in this cruel world and it happens every moment. Imagine a God watching babies die? Too horrible to contemplate.

Hugs to you.

I believe God works in mysterious ways....even through tragedy and despair. There's a reason for everything. I know it's hard to process and understand, but God has a master plan for all of us. I believe God had much bigger plans for those innocent infants that die needlessly through hunger & disease. God wanted them in heaven much sooner, that's all. I can say the same for those poor animals who die through neglect and abuse in shelters. A tough pill to swallow in human terms, but there IS a God and there is Karma in this cosmos. You just have to believe.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:26 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:

Hugs to you.

I believe God works in mysterious ways....even through tragedy and despair. There's a reason for everything. I know it's hard to process and understand, but God has a master plan for all of us. I believe God had much bigger plans for those innocent infants that die needlessly through hunger & disease. God wanted them in heaven much sooner, that's all. I can say the same for those poor animals who die through neglect and abuse in shelters. A tough pill to swallow in human terms, but there IS a God and there is Karma in this cosmos. You just have to believe.

I used to believe that, it's what I was taught, but these days I'm just not sure. My personal belief has probably evolved closer to what rjm described above.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:

Hugs to you.

I used to believe that, it's what I was taught, but these days I'm just not sure. My personal belief has probably evolved closer to what rjm described above.

Thanks.

You think I have a future as a TV preacher? I hear they do ok. ;)

rjm

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:43 am

rjm wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:

Hugs to you.

Thanks.

rjm

I will certainly tune in to your televised sermon. :wink:

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:46 am

rjm wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:

Hugs to you.

Thanks.

rjm

I'd read your other post but had to go back and re-read it. And it does help if we can discuss these things respectfully. Sadly, that isn't always the case.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 am

i have had a near death experience myself , i wrecked my dad's new restored 1973 chevy truck when i was 16 , mustang came out of a curve on the wrong side of the road , to avoid i missed the car but the truck got away and i thought i was hitting a fence not knowing there was a 250 foot drop downhill on the other side . my and a girl was in the truck , no seatbelt's , we jump thru the fence and go down the hill . at this point it becomes slow motion and yes my life passed before my eyes as i seen things i did not remember . God and Jesus was watching over us that day for sure and saved us from dying and i owe them all . some point my foot hit the pedal and we was running 100 miles a hr . we hit a rock embankment , the truck is totaled . the bed is twisted seven times , bust all window's , the battery is laying 60 feet from the truck . from the front bumper to the dash is crumpled like a rolled up can . the crazy thing is that dad had a bug shield on the hood , it had a gospel saying on it that meant God will provide . the hood is completely gone and the bug shield layed beside the truck and not scratched nor broke and he still has it . it was bolted to the front of the hood , my face hit the steering wheel and my nose got broke but that was it . i had a broke nose and she was fine . that will make you appericate life for sure . also about someone dying , my dad is a pastor / preacher and he is called in alot to visit with people who are dying and has been with alot of people as they died as most families want a minister with them and he said they all say the same thing about a really , really bright and warm light and when he tell's them to walk toward it they pass away . he said all of them that could talk has said this , so being more than one there must be something to it . as he say's life is but a vapor and you are here for such a short time , makes you wonder . don't get to caught up on the religion side for sure , like catholic 's believe in purgatory , were do they get that from as it is not mentioned in the Bible at all . i have always wondered where they got that at , the Bible does not mention it at all .

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 am

rjm wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:

Hugs to you.

Thanks.

rjm

I would enjoy listening to your sermons. Had enough of the hellfire and brimstone to last me several lifetimes.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:05 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
bunnygirl wrote:

Hugs to you.

A tough pill indeed. At some point, we have to start thinking.