Off Topic Messages

Springsteen Formalizes Plans for Instant Live Bootlegs

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:04 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20140117

Bruce Springsteen Formalizes Plans for Instant Live Bootlegs

The service will begin after he plays Cape Town, South Africa on January 26th

Bruce Springsteen performs in Asbury Park, New Jersey.

Bobby Bank/WireImage

By Andy Greene

January 17, 2014 11:20 AM ET

Bruce Springsteen will begin offering fans the ability to download complete concerts following the kickoff of his 2014 tour in Cape Town, South Africa on January 26th. "Fans around the world can purchase a special USB wristband, both online and at the tour venues," says a press release. "They will be able to pick one show of their choice to download on their USB wristband (approximately 48 hours after the show)."

Springsteen explained his decision in a recent interview with NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2014 ... pringsteen "I'd like to make things more available through the Internet," he said. "The Internet has become our friend . . . I think we live more in a Grateful Dead touring idea, that everything you do is recorded now. And that's OK with me, you know. As a matter of fact, I believe on this tour, we're starting to do something like you can come in, you can buy a [wrist]band, you can get a copy of the night's show. So hopefully we're gonna do that at a really nice-quality level."

Many groups (Pearl Jam, Phish, Metallica) have been offering their fans instant bootlegs for years, but until now Springsteen has been extremely reluctant to release official live material. Despite heavy touring, his last live album with the E Street Band was 2001's Live in New York City, and even that wasn't a complete show. There have been a handful of live DVD/Blu Ray releases filmed at recent tours.

After four gigs in South Africa, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band head over to Australia and New Zealand for four weeks of shows. The only known date beyond that is the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival on May 3rd, though today's release says that "additional tour dates [are] expected to be announced."

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20140109 , we asked Springsteen about the possibility of additional dates in America. "It's not impossible," he said. "We had a few other select dates . . . a few in the States, sort of event shows. We're looking at it. I don't want to say 'yes' because I don't want to disappoint, but I certainly don't want to rule it out, too. We're looking closely at it. And there's places we missed on the last tour. As much as we played, we didn't get to Texas, where I love to play. We didn't get to Florida. There were some other places we didn't get on that entire tour. It might be fun to get back to some of those places."

Re: Springsteen Formalizes Plans for Instant Live Bootlegs

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:25 am

Is this a good idea for fans, or is it just feeding their addiction? I like Bruce - I downloaded a couple of the shows this evening - but fortunately I'm not a Bruce fan the way that I'm an Elvis fan, or I could see 2014 being a very expensive year indeed. £6.30 ($9.99) for a high quality recording of a 3 Hour show, is great value for money, but we all know that there are going to be fans who want to own every one.

Maybe groups of fans will get together and trade shows, so that they only end up paying for a handful. But in the same way that "True fans" don't agree with officially released material being torrented, they probably won't like the idea of Bruce and the band being done out of their cut of the profits, and they will feel like they have to buy each and every show.

Anyone plan on doing exactly that?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 am

The best thing about this is that it will enable fans to have a full record of the gig/gigs that they were at. Some will probably feel the urge to download all, but those will be in the minority.

Jon Landau has said that the possibility of presenting archive shows in the same way is under discussion.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 am

The Pirate wrote:Is this a good idea for fans, or is it just feeding their addiction? I like Bruce - I downloaded a couple of the shows this evening - but fortunately I'm not a Bruce fan the way that I'm an Elvis fan, or I could see 2014 being a very expensive year indeed. £6.30 ($9.99) for a high quality recording of a 3 Hour show, is great value for money, but we all know that there are going to be fans who want to own every one.

Maybe groups of fans will get together and trade shows, so that they only end up paying for a handful. But in the same way that "True fans" don't agree with officially released material being torrented, they probably won't like the idea of Bruce and the band being done out of their cut of the profits, and they will feel like they have to buy each and every show.

Anyone plan on doing exactly that?

Not I. Now, if we're talking 1978, I might be tempted.

TJ wrote:The best thing about this is that it will enable fans to have a full record of the gig/gigs that they were at. Some will probably feel the urge to download all, but those will be in the minority.

Jon Landau has said that the possibility of presenting archive shows in the same way is under discussion.

I would really enjoy archival releases. He has so many great shows to choose from, it's an embarrassment of riches.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I would really enjoy archival releases. He has so many great shows to choose from, it's an embarrassment of riches.

Sure is. Would be good if management found a way of polling fans to establish the most in-demand shows.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I think that it is a great idea, from an artist who always puts his fans first.

Most fans coming out of a show would love to have their concert as a keepsake. I have been to many great gigs over the years that I wished I could still listen to, Bruce, U2, Prince, Page & Plant, Aerosmith etc

The last gig I was at, a Springsteen gig, was amazing. He played the whole Born To Run album, the first time 'Jungleland' was played since Clarence passed away and a sensational extended version of '41 Shots', and all I have are YouTube clips.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 pm

memfisking wrote: He played the whole Born To Run album, the first time 'Jungleland' was played since Clarence passed away and a sensational extended version of '41 Shots', and all I have are YouTube clips.

The first Jungleland after Clarence Clemons died was Gothenburg, 27 July 2012. He did not play the Born to Run album in full or 41 Shots at that show.

Chris

Springsteen Formalizes Plans for Instant Live Bootlegs

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 am

ChrisM wrote:
memfisking wrote: He played the whole Born To Run album, the first time 'Jungleland' was played since Clarence passed away and a sensational extended version of '41 Shots', and all I have are YouTube clips.

The first Jungleland after Clarence Clemons died was Gothenburg, 27 July 2012. He did not play the Born to Run album in full or 41 Shots at that show.

Chris

Thanks. Someone mentioned it, that it was the first time the song was played since his death, seeing that Jake got so emotional at the end of it and Bruce went over to him. But I bow to your greater knowledge of the Boss.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:19 pm

memfisking wrote: seeing that Jake got so emotional at the end of it and Bruce went over to him.

I think there was a bit of "showmanship" involved in that gesture. He did at all of the 2012/13 performances of Jungleland.

BTW, just downloaded Perth #3. Great opener - Highway to Hell !!!

Chris