Off Topic Messages

John Travolta to do an Elvis album?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:39 pm

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 09112.html

John Travolta to release album 'inspired by Elvis'

John Travolta has had his share of gangster roles

12 January 2014

John Travolta is reportedly planning to release an album inspired by Elvis Presley.

The 59-year-old actor is also a keen musician with over ten records under his belt. His last was a collaboration with his Grease co-star Olivia Newton-John called This Christmas, which hit stores in 2012. It didn't set the charts alight and John is now determined to end his singing career on a high note.

He reportedly believes he could rival the likes of famed vocalist Elvis if he had the right team around him.

"He has been hitting up some of LA's best producers and songwriters for material. This is his plan to stay relevant," an insider told National Enquirer.

Further details of the plan remain unknown and at the moment no release date has been mooted.

John isn't the only star who is thinking about ways to tackle the current music scene. It's been claimed that 52-year-old Billy Ray Cyrus has recorded a hip-hop version of his country track Achy Breaky Heart in the hope it'll win him some new fans.

"Just spoke with @Billyraycyrus on the phone," Larry King tweeted last month. "He's recorded a hip hop version of 'Achy Breaky Heart.' He's excited about it and so am I! (sic)"

Billy is apparently determined to make the remix a hit and has decided to cast a group of sexy girls in the video, with auditions already being planned.

Re: John Travolta to do an Elvis album?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:42 pm

elvis4life wrote:It's been claimed that 52-year-old Billy Ray Cyrus has recorded a hip-hop version of his country track Achy Breaky Heart in the hope it'll win him some new fans.

"Just spoke with @Billyraycyrus on the phone," Larry King tweeted last month. "He's recorded a hip hop version of 'Achy Breaky Heart.' He's excited about it and so am I! (sic)"

Billy is apparently determined to make the remix a hit and has decided to cast a group of sexy girls in the video, with auditions already being planned.

I wonder if he'll be twerking in the video, half naked and dangling his tongue out?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm

elvis4life wrote:http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/john-travolta-to-release-album-inspired-by-elvis-29909112.html

John Travolta to release album 'inspired by Elvis'

John Travolta has had his share of gangster roles

12 January 2014

John Travolta is reportedly planning to release an album inspired by Elvis Presley.

The 59-year-old actor is also a keen musician with over ten records under his belt. His last was a collaboration with his Grease co-star Olivia Newton-John called This Christmas, which hit stores in 2012. It didn't set the charts alight and John is now determined to end his singing career on a high note.

He reportedly believes he could rival the likes of famed vocalist Elvis if he had the right team around him.

"He has been hitting up some of LA's best producers and songwriters for material. This is his plan to stay relevant," an insider told National Enquirer.

Further details of the plan remain unknown and at the moment no release date has been mooted.

John isn't the only star who is thinking about ways to tackle the current music scene. It's been claimed that 52-year-old Billy Ray Cyrus has recorded a hip-hop version of his country track Achy Breaky Heart in the hope it'll win him some new fans.

:facep:

Back in the day, i used to like Travolta, but he has just gotten to weird and creepy over the past 5 years or so, to the point that i cant even watch the good movies he was in anymore, i just cringe now at the sight of him.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:51 pm

If it sounds like this, it'll be great! :D :wink:

phpBB [video]

That said, I'm shocked, Billy Ray! How can you do this to me? I've always been a loyal fan and bought all of your albums - and now this??? :wtf:

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:45 am

Travolta Is a top top actor and will continue to be one for many years to come !!!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:53 am

rocknroller wrote:Travolta Is a top top actor

Very true, and a nice singer:

phpBB [video]

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:56 am

mike edwards66 wrote:

phpBB [video]

Grease is a classic ! and john sings great in it !!!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:04 am

rocknroller wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

phpBB [video]

No argument there buddy.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:09 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

phpBB [video]

No argument there buddy.

:smt023 :)

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:58 am

Always liked him as an actor but I prefer Olivia Newton-John as a singer. And not only this... :P
olivia-newton-john.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:17 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Always liked him as an actor but I prefer Olivia Newton-John as a singer. And not only this... :P
olivia-newton-john.jpg

Yeah olivia was well hot !!!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
elvis4life wrote:It's been claimed that 52-year-old Billy Ray Cyrus has recorded a hip-hop version of his country track Achy Breaky Heart in the hope it'll win him some new fans.

I wonder if he'll be twerking in the video, half naked and dangling his tongue out?

Not sure why...but that made me think of Mick Jagger...

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Travolta is certainly a fine actor and a good singer, although he doesn't always sound great on record. But such is the dichotomy between being a good performer and having a good recording voice. He was terrific in Grease, of course, and part of that was due to his vocal ability, so I guess the results of his endeavours on record will be interesting. This said, he hasn't done anything really interesting on screen for some time, although he's clearly tried to challenge himself in the likes of Savages, From Paris With Love and even the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123. However, he was quite joyous as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray, although the fat suit and women's clothes couldn't disguise the fact that this was John Travolta having a blast in another musical.

Billy Ray Cyrus, on the other hand, has made some good music over the years, although Achy Breaky Heart will always be his calling card. He's probably seeking something commercially viable in a similar vein to what Tim McGraw and Florida Georgia Line have done with Nelly, but I think Achy Breaky Heart is too kitsch, and too much of a novelty, to be accepted by the public for a second time. Or maybe a third time, if we're counting Alvin and the Chipmunks' version. Billy Ray can be an affective singer and outdone himself with some really good recordings on the Trail of Tears and Southern Rain albums, but I think Miley is bound to remain the hit-maker in the Cyrus family for some time. He also seems to have given up on acting for the moment, although, to call him wooden in the likes of The Spy Next Door would be an insult to furniture!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:27 pm

is this story even true?

John Travolta is 60 years old and he hasn't recorded anything in years.

The article states that an insider told the National Enquirer about this.

I don't recall Travolta recording anything after the 1970s.

This is B.S.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 am

Although I HATE Grease with a passion, I first noticed Travolta's talent for acting in Urban Cowboy which is a favourite of mine. Everything else I've seen him in is most enjoyable!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:43 pm

brian wrote:is this story even true?

This is B.S.

Did you read the initial post? :wink:

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:46 pm

greystoke wrote:Travolta is certainly a fine actor and a good singer, although he doesn't always sound great on record. But such is the dichotomy between being a good performer and having a good recording voice. He was terrific in Grease, of course, and part of that was due to his vocal ability, so I guess the results of his endeavours on record will be interesting. This said, he hasn't done anything really interesting on screen for some time, although he's clearly tried to challenge himself in the likes of Savages, From Paris With Love and even the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123. However, he was quite joyous as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray, although the fat suit and women's clothes couldn't disguise the fact that this was John Travolta having a blast in another musical.

Billy Ray Cyrus, on the other hand, has made some good music over the years, although Achy Breaky Heart will always be his calling card. He's probably seeking something commercially viable in a similar vein to what Tim McGraw and Florida Georgia Line have done with Nelly, but I think Achy Breaky Heart is too kitsch, and too much of a novelty, to be accepted by the public for a second time. Or maybe a third time, if we're counting Alvin and the Chipmunks' version. Billy Ray can be an affective singer and outdone himself with some really good recordings on the Trail of Tears and Southern Rain albums, but I think Miley is bound to remain the hit-maker in the Cyrus family for some time. He also seems to have given up on acting for the moment, although, to call him wooden in the likes of The Spy Next Door would be an insult to furniture!

greystoke, that made my day! :D

I rate "Trail Of Tears" as BRC's finest album. Did you ever watch "Radical Jack" and "Mulholland Drive"? I've never watched "Doc" or "Hannah Montana" but boy, in the two movies I mentioned that guy surely couldn't act! Compared to him, Elvis should have deserved an Oscar.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:47 pm

brian wrote:is this story even true?

This is B.S.

He had an album out with ONJ a couple of years ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Although I HATE Grease with a passion, I first noticed Travolta's talent for acting in Urban Cowboy which is a favourite of mine. Everything else I've seen him in is most enjoyable!

Pulp Fiction is brilliant

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:54 pm

keninlincs wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Although I HATE Grease with a passion, I first noticed Travolta's talent for acting in Urban Cowboy which is a favourite of mine. Everything else I've seen him in is most enjoyable!

And the first "Look Who's Talking" too! :D

I love his performance in "Face/Off".

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:02 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
keninlincs wrote:

And the first "Look Who's Talking" too! :D

I love his performance in "Face/Off".

Yes.he has made some great movies

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
greystoke wrote:Travolta is certainly a fine actor and a good singer, although he doesn't always sound great on record. But such is the dichotomy between being a good performer and having a good recording voice. He was terrific in Grease, of course, and part of that was due to his vocal ability, so I guess the results of his endeavours on record will be interesting. This said, he hasn't done anything really interesting on screen for some time, although he's clearly tried to challenge himself in the likes of Savages, From Paris With Love and even the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123. However, he was quite joyous as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray, although the fat suit and women's clothes couldn't disguise the fact that this was John Travolta having a blast in another musical.

greystoke, that made my day! :D

I rate "Trail Of Tears" as BRC's finest album. Did you ever watch "Radical Jack" and "Mulholland Drive"? I've never watched "Doc" or "Hannah Montana" but boy, in the two movies I mentioned that guy surely couldn't act! Compared to him, Elvis should have deserved an Oscar.

His appearance in Mulholland Drive was mercifully brief, but I haven't seen Radical Jack. I've met him, incidentally. After a concert in 1997. Should have a photo somewhere.