Off Topic Messages

Re: NFL Playoffs & Elvis Weekend

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 am

It's going to be a hard match for the 49ers. I hope they win, they really need to score when they get to the red zone. Last week and also against the Packers, they had hard time scoring from the last 20 yards.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:55 am

Mitch wrote:Hi Doc,

The picture with your dog is very cool.

Do I see the Steelers-Raven game in the background?

I am pretty sure my Steelers won that game! :)

I'm pulling for your 49ers again this year.

They are my Son's favorite team.

If they pull it off this year they will tie my Steelers with 6 Super Bowls!

The Niners got ripped last year with the bad call in the end zone at the end of the game!

Good Luck in Seattle this week.

::rocks

Kind words, always nice to see you here. Thanks!!

P.S. I have a doggie, but that photo was sent to me by a friend.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 pm

{Sigh} It all leaves me cold. The Jets have not won a conference championship since 1968, nor been in a Super Bowl since January 12, 1969.

So until the day . . . well, I did enjoy the mid-1980s Chicago Bears.

Football needs more style, more celebrity, more cool. Like back in the Golden Age.

Just imho.

Should be a good halftime show this year! ;)

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:47 am

Have been a Niners fan going back to the days of John Brodie as quaterback of the 49ers. Good luck to DOC and Francesc as the Niners go to Seattle. Regardless of what the experts are saying, I think the Niners win in Seattle. The Seahawks were not impressive with their win against the Saints. The Saints had opportunities and wasted them, and Seattle still had to hang on at the end. The Niners are still peaking and have been tested especially in Green Bay two weeks ago. The defense was rock solid in Caroina especially on several goal line stands. Niners win this one Sunday. Enjoy the game!

rlj

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:45 am

San Fran going to Seattle...San Fran may as well stay home. lmao

[url][URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/Guitarman71/media/THROWBACKPICTURE_zpsf993e83c.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:26 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Have been a Niners fan going back to the days of John Brodie as quaterback of the 49ers. Good luck to DOC and Francesc as the Niners go to Seattle. Regardless of what the experts are saying, I think the Niners win in Seattle. The Seahawks were not impressive with their win against the Saints. The Saints had opportunities and wasted them, and Seattle still had to hang on at the end. The Niners are still peaking and have been tested especially in Green Bay two weeks ago. The defense was rock solid in Caroina especially on several goal line stands. Niners win this one Sunday. Enjoy the game!

rlj

Very kind of you to send us such good wishes. Thank you. Here's hopin' for the best!

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:56 am

San Fran left their heart in Seattle. GO SEAHAWKS!!! YEAH BABY!!!! :lol:

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:32 am

A couple of bad calls in Seattle may have cost the 49ers the game.

Now I see why the Seahawks are hard to beat there.

Anyway, it should be a fun Super Bowl. :D

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:46 am

Same as it was in Carolina...Karma is a bitch. :lol:

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:02 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Same as it was in Carolina...Karma is a bitch. :lol:

I guess I don't get what you mean. :?

Are you saying the Niners got some calls in Carolina?

I'm a Steeler fan so I really don't have a dog in the hunt here.

Just giving my opinion.

Looking forward to a great game in two weeks.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:23 am

Carolina got a bunch of calls called against them that shouldn't have been called...obviuosly I am a Panthers fan and was glad to see kaeperpric get beat. Doesn't matter...Denver has got it all day long.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:56 am

This is Peyton Manning's year. I predict when he wins this Superbowl he will retire.

RKS

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:32 pm

"Don’t you EVER talk about me!”

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Yes, Sherman came up with the big play and 49ers had a chance to win it but this was another poorly officiated game.

Hoping officials and the NFL look at tapes from this game, previous games and officiating gets much better for SB XLVII

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Mitch wrote:A couple of bad calls in Seattle may have cost the 49ers the game.

EPA4368 wrote:Yes, Sherman came up with the big play and 49ers had a chance to win it but this was another poorly officiated game.

Hoping officials and the NFL look at tapes from this game, previous games and officiating gets much better for SB XLVII

Seattle played better in the second half, but there were some very inept calls by the officials. It seems to happen every NFL game. Given that it's a billion-dollar industry, it is inexcusable the officials are not full-time employees.

As for the 49ers, they lost by just a few inches. But they had a chance to win until the very last moment. This was a battle between the two best teams in the league, and it was one heck of a game.

Only 4 teams get to the championship game each year. The 49ers were, for the third straight time, one of them. Every other team that lost this year would have given anything to be in that position.

Seattle's Sherman is the best DB in the game, but for a Stanford graduate he behaves like a brainless drop-out from North Carolina. ;-)

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:18 pm

How is your friend's dog taking this?

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

EPA4368 wrote:Yes, Sherman came up with the big play and 49ers had a chance to win it but this was another poorly officiated game.

Seattle played better in the second half, but there were some very inept calls by the officials. It seems to happen every NFL game. Given that it's a billion-dollar industry, it is inexcusable the officials are not full-time employees.

As for the 49ers, they lost by just a few inches. But they had a chance to win until the very last moment. This was a battle between the two best teams in the league, and it was one heck of a game.

Only 4 teams get to the championship game each year. The 49ers were, for the third straight time, one of them. Every other team that lost this year would have given anything to be in that position.

Seattle's Sherman is the best DB in the game, but for a Stanford graduate he behaves like a brainless drop-out from North Carolina. ;-)

Oh I agree, he acts like a little brat totally disrespectful.

Anyhow, I will watch the Superbowl and root for the 'ol Tennessee Vol's QB Peyton Manning.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jparsons1969 wrote:Enjoying the playoffs and listening to Elvis Sings Guitar Man. Almost In Love album's next (I know it's the dreaded budget album...but...US Male, Clean Up Your Own Back Yard, Rubberneckin', My Little Friend ,Edge of Reality, Long Legged Girl...what can I say. I love it.) Then maybe Jailhouse Rock Volume 2. Hope you guys are having a great weekend.

Same to you!

Just saw New Orleans lose to Seattle. They had a shot, but the offense couldn't make it.

49ers tomorrow!

Rooting for them all the way over here on the east coast! :D

Right on! Carolina is a tough order, it's going to be a terrific match up.

140106_Kaepernick_Green Bay.JPG

Just saw the Colts' Andrew Luck make a perfect pass for a TD in their game against the Patriots.

14-7 in favor of Tom Brady's boys right now.

How sad is it that, after tomorrow, the NFL will only have 3 more games left on the schedule? Ah, football.

I don't find that sad at all. In fact, this is one of the things I love about the NFL. There is a very short regular season and in the playoffs every game is life or death. Sometimes less is more. (I do see what you mean, though.) I have grown weary of soccer lately. It's just too much, too many games. I still love to watch the big games but don't follow any league or team on a weekly basis any more. But I do watch my NFL games every week mostly. I discovered this sport thanks to Springsteen. When he played the Super Bowl, I wanted to experience it live, and then I figured it could be fun to watch the game itself, too. What can I say? I have been hooked ever since.

I started out as a Jets supporter because I am a fan of New York and it's the only American city I have been to. But I soon discovered they were a pretty non-descript team and these days I support the entire league instead... :D

Keef, you're a European who enjoys NFL football? And a Swede no less? I hereby declare you an honorary American! Rob, this man deserves a visit to your Elvis room!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 am

"Seattle's Sherman is the best DB in the game, but for a Stanford graduate he behaves like a brainless drop-out from North Carolina."

Yeah..but at least he's going to the superbowl. LMAO

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:01 am

Rob wrote:How is your friend's dog taking this?

He hasn't eaten all day.

He's also sad because he was rooting for California boy Tom Brady to lead the Patriots back to the Super Bowl as well.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well said DOC. We can debate about whether Sherman is the best DB in the NFL, but he made the play when his team needed it. Hats off to the champions.
AS far as his post-game comments, he demonstrated no class and did not act like a high paid professional athlete. I realize his emotions were running high, but honestly, that's not a good excuse for that behaviour.

As far the officials, this has been a trend in the NFL. Throughout the entire season, some of the calls by NFL officials rivals the absurd calls made by the replacement officials of last season (ie., IF officials made a correct call in a big game, the San Diego Chargers would not have even made the playoffs and the Pittsburgh Steelers would have). I must confess, while I am not a complainer as such, the weightier calls went against the Niners yesterday. AND those call did factor in the scoring. Regardless, the Niners had their chances and should have overcome.

By the way DOC, a cute pic of the dog! Give him a bone, watch the Niners/Broncos Super Bowl XXIV from January 28, 1990 (won by SF, 55-10) and remind him that spring training is in 5 weeks!

rlj

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:52 am

Excited for Peyton to get ring no. 2

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 am

rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well said DOC. We can debate about whether Sherman is the best DB in the NFL, but he made the play when his team needed it. Hats off to the champions.
AS far as his post-game comments, he demonstrated no class and did not act like a high paid professional athlete. I realize his emotions were running high, but honestly, that's not a good excuse for that behaviour.

As far the officials, this has been a trend in the NFL. Throughout the entire season, some of the calls by NFL officials rivals the absurd calls made by the replacement officials of last season (ie., IF officials made a correct call in a big game, the San Diego Chargers would not have even made the playoffs and the Pittsburgh Steelers would have). I must confess, while I am not a complainer as such, the weightier calls went against the Niners yesterday. AND those call did factor in the scoring. Regardless, the Niners had their chances and should have overcome.

By the way DOC, a cute pic of the dog! Give him a bone, watch the Niners/Broncos Super Bowl XXIV from January 28, 1990 (won by SF, 55-10) and remind him that spring training is in 5 weeks!

rlj

Thanks for the kind and intelligent words. Yeah, baseball should be great again this year!

But right now, there is no joy in Mudville. See photo in previous post.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Rooting for Peyton and Denver to take the Super Bowl. Peyton's a class act and I'd like to see him get ring number two. I don't think Seattle's got anything for Denver.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Some of the bad calls were actually benefitial for the 49ers after the play. The fumble not seen by the referees was in the 1st yard, the next play Seahawks fumled again and 49ers recovered the football over the yard 6 or 7 ( I dont recall) That was instant kharma.

What I don't recall if the 49ers had time outs left during the last minute or so ? I think they should have rushed the ball a little bit more

Also there were big mistakes like Seahaways 4th and 7 and they not only got 1st down but also got a hell of yards because the safeties were in lalala

Anyway, I'm not too fan of Peyton even though I recognize that he is one of the best.