Off Topic Messages

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...

Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.

He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them).

Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)

I'll say anything to someone's face that I would say on here or anywhere else on the web. One thing I'm not these days is timid.

So if someone like Red told a story about Elvis and you didn't believe him, you would call him a liar to his face?

Why wouldn't I? Surely that would be better than talking about him behind his back? There are quite clearly parts of the story that don't add up.

Why wouldn't you? Cause it would be rude and ignorant.

If someone who had a close connection with Elvis and they are telling a story then the last thing you do is tell them they are a liar even if you don't believe it.

Why? That's just stupid. If anyone is lying or embellishing a story then there is no reason not to call them on it. They shouldn't be lying or embellishing the story, then I wouldn't be calling them a liar. Their stories become historical facts. Anyone interested in the truth needs to take all such stories and see if they add up. The Darin story in particular doesn't add up - either from the point of view of Elvis's actions, or Darin's response. Therefore I don't believe it.

The Jones story (which has been told many times by Jones) at least seems feasible and realistic - not least because Elvis clearly had a liking for some of the great American songbook, which he sang in home recordings (If I Loved You, Fools Rush In, It's A Sin to Tell a Lie, Make Believe, and no doubt others that have long been lost). For some reason he avoided those types of songs in a studio setting, and so it makes sense that he may well have thought that it was a territory he and others like him should stay away from, and he may well have shared that feeling with Jones. It certainly isn't a story as bonkers as Elvis seemingly heckling one of his favourite performers and telling him what he should or shouldn't be singing.

As for what I should or shouldn't say to someone - it's very nice that Red West knew Elvis, but that doesn't make him some unapproachable God. It seems quite likely he's either embellished the story or mis-remembered it - and getting to the bottom of that doesn't have to be done in an insulting way. You can call someone out without walking up to them, shouting "liar" and punching them in the face, you know?

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:10 am

I believe Red's story, and Tom's as well. After all, they were there. ;-)

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I believe Red's story, and Tom's as well. After all, they were there. ;-)

That's odd. Stuart Whitman was at the filming of The Day The Earth Stood Still, but you don't believe his story that James Dean was an extra in the film. And the difference is...?

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:15 pm

What would Peter Guralnick, make of such a claim? It is quite a story!