Off Topic Messages

Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 am

http://www.contactmusic.com/story/elvis ... gs_4015441

Sir Tom Jones - Elvis Presley Warned Tom Jones Not To Cover Frank Sinatra's Songs

by WENN | 09 January 2014

Tom Jones

Picture: tom jones - kylie Minogue and tom jones seen at bbc radio studios in london - London, United Kingdom - Monday 6th January 2014

Welsh crooner Sir Tom Jones was warned by Elvis Presley not to cover Frank Sinatra's songs.

The Delilah hitmaker was friends with both singers back in his music heyday, and he covered a number of songs previously made famous by Sinatra, including My Way and Fly Me To The Moon, with the blessing of the Rat Pack star.

However, Presley was less enthusiastic about the Welshman's takes on the classic tracks and warned Jones to stay away from the iconic singer's music.

Jones tells British radio station Magic 105.4, ''I knew Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley very well. I did an album of Frank Sinatra type things and Elvis listened and said, 'Tom I heard that thing' and I said... 'Yeah and?' Elvis said, 'We leave that to Frank Sinatra, we don't go there'.''

However, Jones insists Sinatra enjoyed his crooner style and was concerned when he started releasing more rock-orientated music.

He continues, "When I do something a little more rocky, Frank would say: 'Tom, when I go and they (management) ask me who could replace me, I say you! So don't go making records like that!'.''

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:48 pm

If half of Tom Jones anecdotes were true, he would have to be about 300 years old. He would have had to spend at least 3 solid years with Elvis... He's starting to sound like a story teller who drops in names of celebrities who's sole purpose is to boost his ego! Don't get me wrong I like Tom Jones, but some of his story telling is becoming rather fantastical

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Matt, your avatar hypnotizes me! :D

Pretty cool.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 pm

This story is very likely true.

Here is what Red West said in an interview a few years ago and its an almost identical thing that Elvis said to Bobby Darin as well as Tom Jones.

"We were in the audience watching Bobby Darin once. Bobby Darin, if you're familiar with Bobby Darin, started out with 'Splish Splash' then he got into Frank Sinatra, started sounding a lot like Frank Sinatra. We were in the audience one night and he did 'Splish Splash', stopped in the middle of it, and said that was another time, then he started on one of his later hits that sounded like Frank Sinatra. Elvis yelled out, 'Don't knock what got you there'. And he stopped, he knew who it was, and he said 'You know what, you're right' and that's what he felt, you know, Bobby Darin made the changeover from 'Splish Splash' to Frank Sinatra type songs. Elvis was so embarrassed when he did that show with Frank Sinatra after he got out the Army. He was singing one of Frank Sinatra's songs and Frank Sinatra was singing one of his. That was the most horrific, embarrassed he ever was because that was not his type of song".

.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Bodie wrote:This story is very likely true.

Here is what Red West said in an interview a few years ago and its an almost identical thing that Elvis said to Bobby Darin as well as Tom Jones.

"We were in the audience watching Bobby Darin once. Bobby Darin, if you're familiar with Bobby Darin, started out with 'Splish Splash' then he got into Frank Sinatra, started sounding a lot like Frank Sinatra. We were in the audience one night and he did 'Splish Splash', stopped in the middle of it, and said that was another time, then he started on one of his later hits that sounded like Frank Sinatra. Elvis yelled out, 'Don't knock what got you there'. And he stopped, he knew who it was, and he said 'You know what, you're right' and that's what he felt, you know, Bobby Darin made the changeover from 'Splish Splash' to Frank Sinatra type songs. Elvis was so embarrassed when he did that show with Frank Sinatra after he got out the Army. He was singing one of Frank Sinatra's songs and Frank Sinatra was singing one of his. That was the most horrific, embarrassed he ever was because that was not his type of song".

.


I get what you are saying, but did Tom pick this anecdote up from Elvis or did he adapt it to his circumstances... we all know the famous Tom talking to Elvis in the shower story.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:
Bodie wrote:This story is very likely true.

Here is what Red West said in an interview a few years ago and its an almost identical thing that Elvis said to Bobby Darin as well as Tom Jones.

"We were in the audience watching Bobby Darin once. Bobby Darin, if you're familiar with Bobby Darin, started out with 'Splish Splash' then he got into Frank Sinatra, started sounding a lot like Frank Sinatra. We were in the audience one night and he did 'Splish Splash', stopped in the middle of it, and said that was another time, then he started on one of his later hits that sounded like Frank Sinatra. Elvis yelled out, 'Don't knock what got you there'. And he stopped, he knew who it was, and he said 'You know what, you're right' and that's what he felt, you know, Bobby Darin made the changeover from 'Splish Splash' to Frank Sinatra type songs. Elvis was so embarrassed when he did that show with Frank Sinatra after he got out the Army. He was singing one of Frank Sinatra's songs and Frank Sinatra was singing one of his. That was the most horrific, embarrassed he ever was because that was not his type of song".

.


I get what you are saying, but did Tom pick this anecdote up from Elvis or did he adapt it to his circumstances... we all know the famous Tom talking to Elvis in the shower story.


Tom Jones does talk alot about his time with Elvis and i think thats because he keeps getting asked about Elvis in interviews.

I have no reason to doubt anything Tom says about Elvis as Tom don't really need to make stories up but its understandable if some stories are not 100% accurate as its been 40+ years since Elvis and Tom were friends but the basics of the story i believe, like the 'story in the shower'.

This particular story has more credit than others as it was said to Bobby Darin as well from Red West.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Bodie wrote:This story is very likely true.

Here is what Red West said in an interview a few years ago and its an almost identical thing that Elvis said to Bobby Darin as well as Tom Jones.

"We were in the audience watching Bobby Darin once. Bobby Darin, if you're familiar with Bobby Darin, started out with 'Splish Splash' then he got into Frank Sinatra, started sounding a lot like Frank Sinatra. We were in the audience one night and he did 'Splish Splash', stopped in the middle of it, and said that was another time, then he started on one of his later hits that sounded like Frank Sinatra. Elvis yelled out, 'Don't knock what got you there'. And he stopped, he knew who it was, and he said 'You know what, you're right' and that's what he felt, you know, Bobby Darin made the changeover from 'Splish Splash' to Frank Sinatra type songs. Elvis was so embarrassed when he did that show with Frank Sinatra after he got out the Army. He was singing one of Frank Sinatra's songs and Frank Sinatra was singing one of his. That was the most horrific, embarrassed he ever was because that was not his type of song".

.


I think we can believe this story even less than the Tom Jones one. here's Elvis unwilling to take control of his own career, but shouting out to Bobby Darin in the middle of a show? That just isn't feasible. The comments about Splish Splash being used as part of a medley as described would date it to his 1963 set list at the Flamingo, so I'm not denying Elvis was at the concert, but Elvis shouting out? Never. It's not as if Elvis was even recording rock n roll himself at that point. He may well have made a comment to West at the time, but the chances of him shouting out (and of Darin being polite back) is very slim indeed. I very much doubt that Elvis would have viewed himself as above any performer and certainly wouldn't have handed out "advice" unless he was asked for it. By the time that this incident apparently took place, Darin had won a Golden Globe and been nominated for another, and had also won two Grammys - he hardly needed career advice.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Tom Jones makes up his history as he goes along.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm sure there's a bit of romancing to Tom's stories, but that's true of most people/entertainers, especially when talking candidly and not sitting with the exact facts, figures and dates. Whilst the way this article is written hinges solely on a single bone of contention that doesn't appreciate, perhaps even understand, who either Elvis, Sinatra or Jones were/are as musical artists. The writing consists of such broad strokes as to catagorise a song by type in direct correlation to singer, when Elvis and Sinatra boasted, arguably, the greatest artistic range and widest-reaching musical accomplishments of any popular singers -- next to Crosby and Jackson. Whilst it's fair to say that Jones has grown and developed into a rare artist in his own right, especially after years of self-parody and forgettable material. But that's not what this article is about; it's an article that drops three names and links them in the most rudimentary fashion on the strength of a few comments from Tom Jones. And those comments don't sum him up or, nor do they sum up Elvis and Sinatra, despite the journalistic short-sightedness of the writer.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:04 am

elvis4life wrote:http://www.contactmusic.com/story/elvis-presley-warned-tom-jones-not-to-cover-frank-sinatra-s-songs_4015441

Sir Tom Jones - Elvis Presley Warned Tom Jones Not To Cover Frank Sinatra's Songs

by WENN | 09 January 2014

Tom Jones

Picture: tom jones - kylie Minogue and tom jones seen at bbc radio studios in london - London, United Kingdom - Monday 6th January 2014

Welsh crooner Sir Tom Jones was warned by Elvis Presley not to cover Frank Sinatra's songs.

The Delilah hitmaker was friends with both singers back in his music heyday, and he covered a number of songs previously made famous by Sinatra, including My Way and Fly Me To The Moon, with the blessing of the Rat Pack star.

However, Presley was less enthusiastic about the Welshman's takes on the classic tracks and warned Jones to stay away from the iconic singer's music.

Jones tells British radio station Magic 105.4, ''I knew Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley very well. I did an album of Frank Sinatra type things and Elvis listened and said, 'Tom I heard that thing' and I said... 'Yeah and?' Elvis said, 'We leave that to Frank Sinatra, we don't go there'.''

However, Jones insists Sinatra enjoyed his crooner style and was concerned when he started releasing more rock-orientated music.

He continues, "When I do something a little more rocky, Frank would say: 'Tom, when I go and they (management) ask me who could replace me, I say you! So don't go making records like that!'.''


Bodie wrote:This story is very likely true.

Here is what Red West said in an interview a few years ago and its an almost identical thing that Elvis said to Bobby Darin as well as Tom Jones.

"We were in the audience watching Bobby Darin once. Bobby Darin, if you're familiar with Bobby Darin, started out with 'Splish Splash' then he got into Frank Sinatra, started sounding a lot like Frank Sinatra. We were in the audience one night and he did 'Splish Splash', stopped in the middle of it, and said that was another time, then he started on one of his later hits that sounded like Frank Sinatra. Elvis yelled out, 'Don't knock what got you there'. And he stopped, he knew who it was, and he said 'You know what, you're right' and that's what he felt, you know, Bobby Darin made the changeover from 'Splish Splash' to Frank Sinatra type songs. Elvis was so embarrassed when he did that show with Frank Sinatra after he got out the Army. He was singing one of Frank Sinatra's songs and Frank Sinatra was singing one of his. That was the most horrific, embarrassed he ever was because that was not his type of song".

.


Both the Tom Jones and Bobby Darin anecdotes ring true. Elvis was a big fan of each man, and considered them peers. In the case of Darin, the timeline is probably from November 1963 and Darin's booking at the Flamingo.


phpBB [video]

Bobby Darin "Splish Splash/Beyond The Sea/Artificial Flowers/Clementine" The Curtain Falls: Live at the Flamingo (Collectors' Choice CCM 171, April 10, 2001)


No, Elvis wasn't always prone to yelling from his seat at a show, and heaven knows he would one day embrace medleys on stage, but at this time he was going through some emotional turmoil (Ann-Margret vs. Priscilla Beaulieu). Plus, he was known to occasionally imbibe when at the table for such shows, so the lips might have been a bit looser.

Looking at Jones' work, the only record that might have caught Elvis' eye was the January 1971 single release of "She's A Lady." It was a big hit for the Welsh singer, written by Paul Anka, and on the B-side was a new Sinatra standard, co-written by Anka:


710123_Parrot 40058_Jones.JPG


phpBB [video]

Tom Jones "My Way" (Parrot 40058, January 23, 1971)
Note: B-side of "She's A Lady"


Ironically, Elvis would pick up this song and add it to his set list in August 1972. After that summer, he returned to it big-time in late 1976 and 1977.

So much for that advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis4life wrote:http://www.contactmusic.com/story/elvis-presley-warned-tom-jones-not-to-cover-frank-sinatra-s-songs_4015441

Sir Tom Jones - Elvis Presley Warned Tom Jones Not To Cover Frank Sinatra's Songs

by WENN | 09 January 2014

Tom Jones

Picture: tom jones - kylie Minogue and tom jones seen at bbc radio studios in london - London, United Kingdom - Monday 6th January 2014

Welsh crooner Sir Tom Jones was warned by Elvis Presley not to cover Frank Sinatra's songs.

The Delilah hitmaker was friends with both singers back in his music heyday, and he covered a number of songs previously made famous by Sinatra, including My Way and Fly Me To The Moon, with the blessing of the Rat Pack star.

However, Presley was less enthusiastic about the Welshman's takes on the classic tracks and warned Jones to stay away from the iconic singer's music.

Jones tells British radio station Magic 105.4, ''I knew Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley very well. I did an album of Frank Sinatra type things and Elvis listened and said, 'Tom I heard that thing' and I said... 'Yeah and?' Elvis said, 'We leave that to Frank Sinatra, we don't go there'.''

However, Jones insists Sinatra enjoyed his crooner style and was concerned when he started releasing more rock-orientated music.

He continues, "When I do something a little more rocky, Frank would say: 'Tom, when I go and they (management) ask me who could replace me, I say you! So don't go making records like that!'.''


Bodie wrote:This story is very likely true.

Here is what Red West said in an interview a few years ago and its an almost identical thing that Elvis said to Bobby Darin as well as Tom Jones.

"We were in the audience watching Bobby Darin once. Bobby Darin, if you're familiar with Bobby Darin, started out with 'Splish Splash' then he got into Frank Sinatra, started sounding a lot like Frank Sinatra. We were in the audience one night and he did 'Splish Splash', stopped in the middle of it, and said that was another time, then he started on one of his later hits that sounded like Frank Sinatra. Elvis yelled out, 'Don't knock what got you there'. And he stopped, he knew who it was, and he said 'You know what, you're right' and that's what he felt, you know, Bobby Darin made the changeover from 'Splish Splash' to Frank Sinatra type songs. Elvis was so embarrassed when he did that show with Frank Sinatra after he got out the Army. He was singing one of Frank Sinatra's songs and Frank Sinatra was singing one of his. That was the most horrific, embarrassed he ever was because that was not his type of song".

.


Both the Tom Jones and Bobby Darin anecdotes ring true. Elvis was a big fan of each man, and considered them peers. In the case of Darin, the timeline is probably from November 1963 and Darin's booking at the Flamingo.


phpBB [video]

Bobby Darin "Splish Splash/Beyond The Sea/Artificial Flowers/Clementine" The Curtain Falls: Live at the Flamingo (Collectors' Choice CCM 171, April 10, 2001)


No, Elvis wasn't always prone to yelling from his seat at a show, and heaven knows he would one day embrace medleys on stage, but at this time he was going through some emotional turmoil (Ann-Margret vs. Priscilla Beaulieu). Plus, he was known to occasionally imbibe when at the table for such shows, so the lips might have been a bit looser.

Looking at Jones' work, the only record that might have caught Elvis' eye was the January 1971 single release of "She's A Lady." It was a big hit for the Welsh singer, written by Paul Anka, and on the B-side was a new Sinatra standard, co-written by Anka:


710123_Parrot 40058_Jones.JPG


phpBB [video]

Tom Jones "My Way" (Parrot 40058, January 23, 1971)
Note: B-side of "She's A Lady"


Ironically, Elvis would pick up this song and add it to his set list in August 1972. After that summer, he returned to it big-time in late 1976 and 1977.

So much for that advice!


Yes, as I stated earlier there is little doubt that Elvis saw a performance at the Flamingo in 1963. The medley in question is a bit of a mystery - darin didn't do anything similar either before or later - Splish Splash would act as a lead in to a lengthy rock n roll medley from 1971 onwards but what was done with much more commitment. He certainly wasn't someone who tossed away hits in this fashion under normal circumstances - in fact he hardly played them at all with exception of Mack the Knife and If I Were a Carpenter (and in his final years Beyond the Sea would make a return). He was much happier to delve into the great American songbook or recent hit records for others.

The Flamingo performances would be Darin's last on the concert stage until 1966 - he wanted to pursue his acting career, spend more time with his family, keep his ever-worsening health in check, and...err...manage Wayne Newton.

I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience, and I buy even less Darin agreeing with him. What's more, the timeline doesn't add up. It wasn't like Darin had turned to swing music recently - That's All had appeared in 1959. The anecdote makes it sound as if Elvis was surprised by the change - and considering the whole first half of those Flamingo gigs were big band material (Splish Splash being the exception) that also doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:27 am

poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.


He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them). When there's nothing left to say in interviews, things get exaggerated. As I said earlier, the likelihood is that something happened - probably Elvis making a comment along those lines to Red at the table...and then it gets twisted and used to make a much better anecdote.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.


He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them).


Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.


He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them).


Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)


How old must Red be now, 77ish, Shane could take him.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.


He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them).


Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)


I'll say anything to someone's face that I would say on here or anywhere else on the web. One thing I'm not these days is timid.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:35 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)


How old must Red be now, 77ish, Shane could take him.


To dinner, perhaps. ;-)

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:39 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.


He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them).


Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)


I'll say anything to someone's face that I would say on here or anywhere else on the web. One thing I'm not these days is timid.


So if someone like Red told a story about Elvis and you didn't believe him, you would call him a liar to his face?

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.


He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them).


Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)


I'll say anything to someone's face that I would say on here or anywhere else on the web. One thing I'm not these days is timid.


So if someone like Red told a story about Elvis and you didn't believe him, you would call him a liar to his face?


Why wouldn't I? Surely that would be better than talking about him behind his back? There are quite clearly parts of the story that don't add up.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Tom Jones told the same story re. Elvis advising him to stay clear of the standards ["We don't do that"] back in the 90's.

I have it on videotape somewhere.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:58 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I still don't buy Elvis yelling from the audience ...


Red West has no reason to make up the anecdote. And Elvis' behavior in Las Vegas in the early '60s is well-documented.


He and everyone else associated with Elvis have made their livelihood out of their association with Elvis (or, at the very least, relish in the publicity it gives them).


Nah. But how I would relish the chance to see you say this to Red West in person. ;-)


I'll say anything to someone's face that I would say on here or anywhere else on the web. One thing I'm not these days is timid.


So if someone like Red told a story about Elvis and you didn't believe him, you would call him a liar to his face?


Why wouldn't I? Surely that would be better than talking about him behind his back? There are quite clearly parts of the story that don't add up.


Why wouldn't you? Cause it would be rude and ignorant.

If someone who had a close connection with Elvis and they are telling a story then the last thing you do is tell them they are a liar even if you don't believe it.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Bodie wrote:If someone who had a close connection with Elvis and they are telling a story then the last thing you do is tell them they are a liar even if you don't believe it.


Why?
If someone tells me something I do not believe, I will tell that to the person right away, no matter who it is.

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:31 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:If someone who had a close connection with Elvis and they are telling a story then the last thing you do is tell them they are a liar even if you don't believe it.


Why?
If someone tells me something I do not believe, I will tell that to the person right away, no matter who it is.


You're a liar. :lol:

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Bodie wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:If someone who had a close connection with Elvis and they are telling a story then the last thing you do is tell them they are a liar even if you don't believe it.


Why?
If someone tells me something I do not believe, I will tell that to the person right away, no matter who it is.


You're a liar. :lol:


Proof?
:mrgreen:

Re: Elvis warned Tom Jones not to cover Sinatra's songs?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I think we can believe this story even less than the Tom Jones one. here's Elvis unwilling to take control of his own career, but shouting out to Bobby Darin in the middle of a show? That just isn't feasible. The comments about Splish Splash being used as part of a medley as described would date it to his 1963 set list at the Flamingo, so I'm not denying Elvis was at the concert, but Elvis shouting out? Never. It's not as if Elvis was even recording rock n roll himself at that point. He may well have made a comment to West at the time, but the chances of him shouting out (and of Darin being polite back) is very slim indeed. I very much doubt that Elvis would have viewed himself as above any performer and certainly wouldn't have handed out "advice" unless he was asked for it. By the time that this incident apparently took place, Darin had won a Golden Globe and been nominated for another, and had also won two Grammys - he hardly needed career advice.


I'm completely with you on this, although I love Tom (watched 'The Voice' on T.V. last) he does have a propensity to embellish stories and with the passage of time blur facts. To be honest I'm not hard and fast on the putting a microscope on the facts or for that matter shining a bright light in his eyes and saying 'Fess Up Tom' It's more a case of taking what he says with a pinch of salt and taking the anecdote more as a story or fable. I could listen to Tom ramble on for hours.