Off Topic Messages

DAN (How popular is Alan Partridge in your Country)

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:50 am

This scene was partly improvised. The two women stood behind him are actually turning away laughing.

phpBB [video]

Re: DAN (How popular is Alan Partridge in your Country)

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:45 am

Love Steve Coogan ever since I saw him in "The Parole Officer" when I was in London about ten years ago. Only recently discovered this creation on DVD, and found it got better as he grew into the character. He's is fantastic in "24 Hour Party People" and does a terrific turn in an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as Larry David's psychiatrist.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: He's is fantastic in "24 Hour Party People" and does a terrific turn in an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as Larry David's psychiatrist.

Suffice to say 'Curb' is genius. Funnily enough I bumped into the late Tony Wilson (potrayed by Coogan in '24 Hour') whilst we were both shopping at Sainsburys (supermarket) in the town of Bolton few years back. Friendly guy.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:21 pm

I've never really cared for Alan Partridge or took much interest in Steve Coogan's brand of comedy, although he's an astute and clever writer who can be an affective actor. He was very good as Tony Wilson in 24 Hour Party People and outdone himself as the writer, producer and leading actor in last year's Philomena. A film that's garnered three Golden Globe nominations and should be counted among the best movies of 2013.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:31 am

Cashback

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 am

Love it ! Just bought Alpha Papa on Blu ray :)

His audio book is well worth a listen or two as well !

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:19 am

AlanPartridge wrote:Cashback

Back of the net.

phpBB [video]

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Lovely stuff. Not my words, the words of Shakin' Stevens.

Me and a chum at work can recite scenes from I'm Alan Partridge almost word for word.

When I first saw the "Dan!" scene, I literally soiled myself.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 am

londonflash wrote:Lovely stuff. Not my words, the words of Shakin' Stevens.

:lol:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:39 am

I don't get it, never have, probably never will - although having seen recent interviews with Coogan, I find myself liking him more than his creations. And not liking Alan Partridge isn't good living here in Norwich.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I don't get it, never have, probably never will - although having seen recent interviews with Coogan, I find myself liking him more than his creations. And not liking Alan Partridge isn't good living here in Norwich.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Loved the first series of 'Knowing Me , Knowing you' back in the 90's when he did the talkshow.
The second series saw Alan living in a hotel and he was a nightime DJ in Norfolk which was just as funny as the first series.

The 3rd series was the least funny but still enjoyable.

But i have lost interest in the character as its just not funny any more.
Haven't even bothered to see the film which they should have done after the second series IMO.

Some characters & series just go on too long and after awhile it gets boring.

Only Fools and Horses was another, for years it was the best British comedy but they should have ended it when they became millionaires.
The last 3 episodes after that were not good at all.
David Jason recently brought back 'Open All Hours' and it was awful, i found it to be quite embarrassing and quite a number of people felt that was as well.

The viewing figures when it started were around 8million but by the time it ended it was only around 6million.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 am

poormadpeter wrote:I don't get it, never have, probably never will -
There's no accounting for taste :?

Part of the charm of Partridge, is the relish with which he grasps any perceived victory, no matter how slight.

The Shakin' Stevens quote is a perfect example.