Off Topic Messages

PHIL EVERLY of the "EVERLY BROTHERS" dead at 74

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:53 am

Another great passes away. :cry: :smt059

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/03/showbiz/singer-phil-everly-dies/

(CNN) -- Singer Phil Everly -- one half of the groundbreaking, smooth-sounding, record-setting duo, the Everly Brothers -- has died, a hospital spokeswoman said.
He was 74.
Patricia Aidem, a spokeswoman at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, confirmed Everly's death on Friday, but could not provide additional details, citing the family's request.
During the late 1950s and early 1960s, Phil Everly and his brother, Don, ranked among the elite in the music world by virtue of their pitch-perfect harmonies and emotive lyrics.
Rolling Stone labeled the Everly Brothers "the most important vocal duo in rock," having influenced the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel and many other acts.
Along the way, they notched 35 Top 100 songs -- more than any other vocal pair.
The Everly Brothers' sound -- with Don's lower register generally ringing in perfect thirds with Phil's higher voice -- was the backbone of dozens of hits.
The two began as songwriters before signing a deal in 1957 with Cadence Records. They became international sensations over the next five years with tunes such as "Bye Bye Love," "Wake Up Little Susie," "When Will I Be Loved" and "All I Have to Do Is Dream." In terms of record sales, their chief rivals during this stretch were Elvis Presley and Pat Boone.
Their style -- a product of their blend of rock 'n' roll with Appalachian folk, bluegrass and other genres more closely aligned to their Kentucky roots -- helped them earn inductions in both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame.

"The amount of music that can be directly traced to the Everly Brothers is incredible," wrote one admirer on Twitter. "Thanks, Phil...and 'Bye Bye.'"
The brothers were born in the business, the offspring of country and western singers Margaret and Ike Everly.
The Everlys sang with their parents in live shows and on the radio. In the mid-'50s, while still teenagers, they moved to Nashville to be songwriters. In 1957, they found a Felice and Boudleaux Bryant song, "Bye Bye Love."
According to "The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll," 30 acts had rejected the song, but the Everlys -- with the key guitar contributions of Chet Atkins, who played on many of their hits -- took the song to No. 2 on the pop charts.
"They added Bo Diddley riffs, teenage anxieties and sharkskin suits but -- for all that -- the core of their sound remained country brother harmony," read their bio on the Country Music Hall of Fame's website.
After averaging a Top 10 hit every four months over the next few years, the Everly Brothers inked a 10-year pact with Warner Brothers (which now is part of Time Warner, like CNN) in 1960. More success followed -- including "Cathy's Clown," which the duo wrote -- and they stayed particularly popular in Britain.
"Bye Bye Love" was "the first thing that really killed me," Paul Simon once recalled. He called Art Garfunkel immediately upon hearing the song, according to a Simon biography, and the two set to work on their own act.
The Everlys also served to bond the nascent Beatles.

Upon hearing "All I Have to Do Is Dream" in 1958, the young group -- which had just added George Harrison to a lineup that included John Lennon and Paul McCartney -- couldn't wait to cover it.
"When we first heard it, it blew us away," McCartney said in Mark Lewisohn's new Beatles biography, "Tune In."
By the 1970s, the pair was performing in a band that also included legends Warren Zevon and Waddy Wachtel. But their time together came to a sudden end in 1973, when Phil stormed off the stage during a show in California.
The brothers reunited on stage and in the studio 10 years later, leading to more albums, including "EB 84" (including the McCartney-written "On the Wings of a Nightingale") and "Born Yesterday."
Their remaining years were highlights by occasional shows, hall of fame inductions and various other honors, including a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Re: PHIL EVERLY of the "EVERLY BROTHERS" dead at 74

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:31 am

See:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80928

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:14 pm

This is from Skynews.com

Phil Everly - who with his brother, Don, made up the revered US rock and country duo - has died aged 74.

He passed away in the Los Angeles suburb of Burbank following complications from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, his wife, Patti, told the LA Times.

His wife told the newspaper that the disease was contracted through a lifetime of smoking and that the family was "absolutely heartbroken".

The Everly Brothers, with their high, close-harmony singing, had 19 top 40 hits during their heyday between 1957 and 1962.

Their songs include Bye Bye Love, All I Have To Do Is Dream, Cathy's Clown, and Wake Up Little Susie.

They profoundly influenced 1960s-era groups and singer-songwriters ranging from Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney, who early in their careers called themselves the Foreverly Brothers, to Simon and Garfunkel, the Byrds, the Hollies and the Beach Boys.

"Perhaps even more powerfully than Elvis Presley, the Everly Brothers melded country with the emerging sound of Fifties rock & roll," Rolling Stone magazine said in placing the brothers at No.33 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists.

Tributes have poured in for the youngest of the duo.

Rock and country singer-songwriter Charlie Daniels tweeted: "Rest in peace Phil Everly. You guys brought us a lot of pleasure back in the day."

Linda Ronstadt, who recorded one of the biggest hits of her career in 1975 with her interpretation of the Everlys' When Will I Be Loved, said: "They had that sibling sound. The information of your DNA is carried in your voice, and you can get a sound (with family) that you never get with someone who's not blood-related to you.

"And they were both such good singers -- they were one of the foundations, one of the cornerstones of the new rock 'n' roll sound."

Everly Brothers
Phil in London in 1974
Don was born in 1937 in Brownie, Kentucky, to Ike and Margaret Everly, who were folk and country music singers.

Phil was born to the couple on January 19, 1939, in Chicago where the Everlys moved to from Brownie when Ike grew tired of working in coal mines.

The brothers began singing country music in 1945 on their family's radio show in Shenandoah, Iowa.

Their career breakthrough came when they moved to Nashville in the mid-1950s and signed a recording contract with New York-based Cadence Records.

In all, their career spanned five decades, although they performed separately from 1973 to 1983 after a dramatic onstage break-up during a concert in California.

Phil threw his guitar down and walked off, prompting Don to tell the crowd: "The Everly Brothers died 10 years ago."

During their breakup, they pursued solo singing careers with little fanfare. Phil also appeared in the Clint Eastwood movie Every Which Way But Loose.

After their decade-long estrangement, the brothers reunited in 1983 - "sealing it with a hug," Phil said at the time.

They were inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, the same year they had a hit pop-country record, Born Yesterday.

Speaking in an interview in 1986, Don said the duo were successful because "we never followed trends".

He added: "We did what we liked and followed our instincts. Rock 'n' roll did survive, and we were right about that. Country did survive, and we were right about that. You can mix the two but people said we couldn't."

Phil is survived by Don, wife Patti, mother Margaret, sons Jason and Chris, and two granddaughters.

Sad news,Walk Right Back is one of my all time favorites,may he RIP

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 pm

He was the younger brother; please don't smoke, folks. His wife is very brave to have discussed it so soon. God bless her. He must have suffered terribly.

And may he rest in peace. His music gave such joy to others.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:07 pm

So sad to learn about this.

The Everly Brothers were one of the truly great acts in early rock and roll.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Doc - I never go to the "classic artists" page, so Sun-RCA - thanks for posting in the "off topic" section so more people can see it.

An Elvis - Everly's connection - they both recorded at RCA Studio B in Nashville.

RIP

One of my favorites: BIRD DOG

phpBB [video]

RKS

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Very sad news indeed. The Everly Brothers were, after Elvis, my favourite recording artists. I have seen them many times on stage and their harmonies were amazing. Condolences go out to Phil's family and friends. The Everly Brothers recorded legacy will last forever with such a great catalogue of songs.

R.I.P. Phil.

Brian :(

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:20 pm

RIP Phil. One half of the greatest white harmony vocals ever.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Very sad news. The Every Brothers were my all time favourite duo. Saw their reunion concert in Brighton in 1984. R.I.P.Phil, my sincere condolences to the Everly family.

PHIL EVERLY of the "EVERLY BROTHERS" dead at 74

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Sad news, indeed. Along with Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers were probably the most influential singer/songwriters in the 50's and left their mark on many acts in the 60's and beyond.

Re: PHIL EVERLY of the

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:14 pm

memfisking wrote:Sad news, indeed. Along with Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers were probably the most influential singer/songwriters in the 50's and left their mark on many acts in the 60's and beyond.

Singers? Yes.

Songwriters? No.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Another one of the "legends" is gone... may he rest in peace.

"Al i have to do is dream..."

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memfisking wrote:Sad news, indeed. Along with Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers were probably the most influential singer/songwriters in the 50's and left their mark on many acts in the 60's and beyond.

Singers? Yes.

Songwriters? No.

Yeah, they definitely weren't famous for their songwriting abilities!
But, man, they could harmonize.

I wasn't really a fan until I heard "On The Wings Of A Nightingale" in 1984. And this was during a time that I was mostly listening to bands like The Clash, Sex Pistols, X, Black Flag, et al. After that I bought EB 84, their 1984 comeback album and went backward from there.

And the influence that The Everly Brothers had on Simon & Garfunkel cannot be understated.

Here's The Everly Brothers singing the Paul McCartney-penned "On The Wings Of A Nightingale." He wrote it especially for them and it's a gem:

phpBB [video]

McCartney's original demo:

phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:48 am

So sad that Phil Everly has just died. I loved the Everly's very much. R.I.P. Phil

Phil Everly & Rene Shuman
http://youtu.be/nlHLMsGNzys

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Singers? Yes.

Songwriters? No.

Singers AND songwriters, actually YES.
Perhaps their biggest worldwide hit 'Cathy's Clown', and thats just for starters.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Songwriters? No.

Might I suggest it's (Everly) Time to re-evalute that statement ?

All I Ask of Life
Angel of Darkness
Asleep
Bad Boy, Sad Girl
Be My Love Again
Blue Balloon
Born Yesterday
Brown Eyes
Buona Fortuna Amore Mio (So Sad to watch good love go bad)
Can’t Dance Alone
Can’t Get Over It
Captain, Captain
Cathy's Clown
The Collector
Dancing on My Feet
Don’t Call Me, I’ll Call You
Don’t Let the Whole World Know
Don’t Ya Even Try
Do You Love Me
The Drop Out
Even If I Hold It in My Hand
The Facts of Life
Following the Sun
Give Me a Future
Gone, Gone, Gone
Goodbye Summer Sun
Green River
Hello Amy
Her Love Was Meant for Me
How Did We Stay Together
Human Race
I Can't Recall
I Didn’t Meant to Go This Far
I Don’t Want to Love You
If Her Love Isn’t True
I’ll Bide My Time
I’ll Never Get over You
I’ll Throw Myself at You
I’m Gonna Make Real Sure
I’m On My Way Home Again
I’m Tired of Singing My Song in Las Vegas
I Think of Me
It Only Costs a Dime
It’s All Over
It’s Too Late to Say Goodbye
I Wonder If I Care as Much
Keep A-Lovin’ Me
Kiss Me Once
Kiss Your Man Goodbye
Lady Anne
Life Ain’t Worth Living
Love With Your Heart
Made to Love
Man With Money
Maybe Tomorrow
My Little Yellow Bird
My Love She Waits At Home
My Mom & Dad
Nancy’s Minuet
No Never
Oh What a Feeling
Omaha
The Price Of Love
Sally Sunshine
She Never Let Me Drink
Shop Girl
Should We Tell Him
Sigh, Cry, Almost Die
Since You Broke My Heart
Some Hearts
So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)
The Sun Keeps Shining
That’s Just Too Much
That’s the Life I Have to Live
That’s Too Good to Be True
They Smile for You
Three Bands of Steel
Till I Kissed You
Turned Down
Up in Mabel’s Room
When Will I Be Loved
Who’s to Be the One
Will I Ever Have a Chance Again
Wishing Won’t Make It So
You Can Bet (aka Tell Me Do)
You Can Fly
You Make It Seem So Easy
You’re My Girl
You’re the One

I'll take not being a songwriter, or writers of that calibre :D

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:55 am

Mr Whopitt wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Singers? Yes.

Songwriters? No.

Singers AND songwriters, actually YES.
Perhaps their biggest worldwide hit 'Cathy's Clown', and thats just for starters.

Actually, NO.

As my comment above implies, the Everly Brothers rely much more on other songwriters for their material, especially the hits, most notably the legendary songwriting team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant.

For example, below are their top twenty biggest hits on the Billboard charts, with the songwriters noted by me:

"Cathy's Clown" - Don Everly, Phil Everly
"Bird Dog" - Boudleaux Bryant
"('Til) I Kissed You" - Don Everly
"Problems" - Felice and Boudleaux Bryant
"Crying in the Rain" - Howard Greenfield, Carole King
"So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)" - Don Everly
"Let It Be Me" - Pierre Delance, Gilbert Becaud, Manny Curtis
"Walk Right Back" - Sonny Curtis
"Ebony Eyes" - John D. Loudermilk
"Devoted to You" - Felice and Boudleaux Bryant
"When Will I Be Loved" - Phil Everly
"That's Old Fashioned (That's the Way Love Should Be)" - Bernie Baum, Bill Giant, Florence Kaye
"Take A Message To Mary" - Felice and Boudleaux Bryant
"Lucille" - Al Collins, Richard Penniman
"Poor Jenny" - Felice and Boudleaux Bryant
"Don't Blame Me" - Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh
"Like Strangers" - Boudleaux Bryant
"Gone, Gone, Gone" - Don Everly, Phil Everly
"Temptation" - Nacio Brown, Arthur Freed
"Bowling Green" - Terry Slater, Jacqueline Ertel

Note: only five credits out of that list go to the Everlys, two together and three separately.

The Everly Brothers' 20 Biggest Hot 100 Hits | Billboard
http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/5862251/the-everly-brothers-20-biggest-hot-100-hits

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 am

Your post implies very clearly that they were not songwriters, in FACT it is so clear and simple that anyone (including your good self) can see that. No point trying moving them goal posts now, just accept it.
I will refrain from any further comment because I have monitored your postings on here towards others, I'm a physcotherapist and it's very clear you have some kind of mental and personal inadequacy that you are struggling with at this time, my proffesional opinion.
To quote the wonderful and great Every Bros.
It's Been Nice
Last edited by Mr Whopitt on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:37 am

Mr Whopitt wrote:Your post implies very clearly that they were not songwriters ...

No, my point is very clear: the Everlys are not famous for being singers and songwriters, which was suggested by someone else. Read the topic again, you might find it. ;-)

Your strident reply merited a detailed response, since you apparently were unaware of this fact.

As for your other thoughts, my goodness, you're a "physcotherapist"? Wow! ;-)

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51 am

The Everly Brothers were great. Of that there is no doubt.

My personal fave, and their biggest hit, Cathy's Clown, they did write. Musically the inspiration for 'Cathy's Clown' came from a section from the 'Grand Canyon Suite' (a suite for orchestra by Ferde Grofe). The section in question, 'On the Trail', was used by Philip Morris cigarettes as their radio musical theme, Don Everly heard this and was inspired.

'Cathy's Clown' did influence PJ Proby when he later wrote 'Clown Shoes'.

But to say the Everly's were influential songwriters is a stretch. The majority of their hits were written by others.

Influential singers, definitely, just listen to the Beatles.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:02 am

Well done Mr Whopitt for compiling the above list. I for one can appreciate the effort put into it. I certainly didn't realise that they had written so many songs. However I would have to admit that they were not generally known as singer/songwriters.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:07 am

mike edwards66 wrote:The Everly Brothers were great. Of that there is no doubt.

My personal fave, and their biggest hit, Cathy's Clown, they did write. Musically the inspiration for 'Cathy's Clown' came from a section from the 'Grand Canyon Suite' (a suite for orchestra by Ferde Grofe). The section in question, 'On the Trail', was used by Philip Morris cigarettes as their radio musical theme, Don Everly heard this and was inspired.

'Cathy's Clown' did influence PJ Proby when he later wrote 'Clown Shoes'.

But to say the Everly's were influential songwriters is a stretch. The majority of their hits were written by others.

Influential singers, definitely, just listen to the Beatles.

Thank you. They are not known for songwriting. That is a fact.

Why stating that fact becomes a reason for some to attack and hurl put-downs is a question perhaps only a licensed psychologist can answer. ;-)

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 am

phpBB [video]

Bruce Springsteen "Crying In The Rain" (Tacoma, WA - Sunday, May 6, 1988)
Beautiful, one-off performance from the pre-show sound check. Apparently never done again.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Thankmyou for your very informative posts, Mr. Whopitt.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00 am

Jove wrote:Thankmyou for your very informative posts, Mr. Whopitt.

You are very welcome Jove.
The country music hall of fame, via the narration of Marck Knopfler state
' the importance of the Everly Brothers cannot be overstated, but individually they MUST be acknowledged also as songwriters'
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1TnSjNzLE

7.48 mins
Your honor, I rest my case.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:33 am

Mr Whopitt wrote:' the importance of the Everly Brothers cannot be overstated, but individually they MUST be acknowledged also as songwriters'

The Everly's are acknowledged as songwriters, and rightly so. However, they are not acknowledged as influential songwriters, and rightly so.