Off Topic Messages

The Beatles - Tune In.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Is this book worth getting? Could someone give me more info on it, Please? Is it essential?

Re: The Beatles - Tune In.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm

FECC's George Smith wrote a review of it for my site:
http://www.classicpopicons.com/the-beat ... in-review/

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:43 pm

TJ wrote:FECC's George Smith wrote a review of it for my site:

George Smith is pure gold.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:19 pm

TJ wrote:FECC's George Smith wrote a review of it for my site:

Thanks. I'm told by a friend that i can get this book at our local supermarket (Tescos) for £15 so i shall go down there tomorrow and pick a copy up.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:14 am

I'm almost halfway through the extended edition at the moment. It's the best Beatles biography I've ever read. It's also the best music biography I've ever read. I know someone who got about a quarter of the way into the standard edition and who then got hold of a copy of the extended one, and went back to the beginning and re-read the longer book instead. According to him getting all the additional information was worth the effort. The only downside is the price, although if you have a Kindle you can get it a bit cheaper, and you can buy it in two parts to spread the cost over a couple of months.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:33 am

The Pirate wrote:I'm almost halfway through the extended edition at the moment. It's the best Beatles biography I've ever read. It's also the best music biography I've ever read. I know someone who got about a quarter of the way into the standard edition and who then got hold of a copy of the extended one, and went back to the beginning and re-read the longer book instead. According to him getting all the additional information was worth the effort. The only downside is the price, although if you have a Kindle you can get it a bit cheaper, and you can buy it in two parts to spread the cost over a couple of months.

But £15 at my local supermarket ain't bad.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:35 am

I'm also re-reading the book via the extended Kindle version: it remains excellent and essential.

Thanks for the kind words. John, and thanks for the invitation to write the review, TJ.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:44 am

Wow, great review George! I'm convinced, I'll be getting my copy soon!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:52 am

The Pirate wrote:I'm almost halfway through the extended edition at the moment. It's the best Beatles biography I've ever read. It's also the best music biography I've ever read. I know someone who got about a quarter of the way into the standard edition and who then got hold of a copy of the extended one, and went back to the beginning and re-read the longer book instead. According to him getting all the additional information was worth the effort. The only downside is the price, although if you have a Kindle you can get it a bit cheaper, and you can buy it in two parts to spread the cost over a couple of months.

Is there more than one "extended edition"?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

There's the one hardcover extended edition, which doesn't seem to be available in the US for some reason (not from Amazon or Barnes & Noble at least). The extended edition is available on Kindle though in two parts:

Part 1:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9V ... B00E9VSUS0

Part 2:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9V ... B00E9VSW3I

George Smith wrote:I'm also re-reading the book via the extended Kindle version: it remains excellent and essential. Thanks for the kind words. John, and thanks for the invitation to write the review, TJ.

And thanks for doing it George.

I'm finally getting my copy today as I held off on it because I knew my Uncle was getting it for me for Christmas. Turned out to be a belated Christmas present as his trip here was delayed. Looking forward to reading it.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 pm

For the extended Kindle editions, it currently says "not currently available for purchase."

When it is, I think I will want it. I always prefer the early years in any biographical work. I like when he cuts off the narrative.

There will, of course, be future volumes.

Great review, George!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Only hard copy and Kindle as far as I know. The Kindle book has one major downside, the footnotes don't all work properly. Dozens if not hundreds of them link to the wrong information. You click on the little asterisk and it takes you to a totally unrelated note. A few pages later you'll click on another and end up at the one you should have gone to earlier. It's incredibly frustrating because the notes are definitely worth reading.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:04 pm

George Smith wrote:I'm also re-reading the book via the extended Kindle version: it remains excellent and essential.

Thanks for the kind words. John, and thanks for the invitation to write the review, TJ.

Thanks for the review George ,based on that i have picked it up today from Tesco@£15

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 pm

There's another point to make about the Kindle version, which may or may not turn out to be useful to some. If - like me - you own more than one e-Reader, and you intend to read the book on two different machines, you may be out of luck. I've got a Kindle, and a Kobo, and I usually download books from Amazon and then convert the file to ePub so I can read it on the Kobo if I want. One machine for home, one at work, I'm sure I'm not the only person to do that. Anyway, I've been unable to get a decent ePub conversion. I can do it, but the pages aren't formatted properly. I've never had that problem with any other book. Obviously this isn't a criticism, I bought the book for the Kindle and I can read it on the Kindle, so nobody has done anything wrong, but if anyone wants to read it mainly on an ePub machine then I'd suggest buying it from one of the ePub stores, and not from Amazon.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:39 pm

The Pirate wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Only hard copy and Kindle as far as I know. The Kindle book has one major downside, the footnotes don't all work properly. Dozens if not hundreds of them link to the wrong information. You click on the little asterisk and it takes you to a totally unrelated note. A few pages later you'll click on another and end up at the one you should have gone to earlier. It's incredibly frustrating because the notes are definitely worth reading.

Well, I bought the hard copy extended U.K. edition and should have it in a week.

I will not be leaving the house this month.

Thank you for your help. ;-)

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Last night I finished the first "file" (ie book) of the two volumes that make up the extended version. I don't know what that corresponds to in real pages,but I guess it would be around 1,000 including all the notes. 1,000 pages, and they've only just come back home from Hamburg. I can remember buying and reading Hunter Davies' original Beatles biography at the start of the 1970s and for a long time thinking that was about as much information anyone could ever need to know about the group. I reckon Davies covered the same period in about a tenth of the space, so what did I know, eh? At no point while reading the latest book have I ever been bored, or wanted to skim over what I might have felt were unimportant details had they been written up by somebody less skilled.

But I'm giving it a rest for a couple of weeks before I start on book two, because once I've read that there's nothing left. Having paid £40 for a download - I still can't get over having done that - I need to feel like I've got my money's worth. I'm going to spend a while reading something else I think, maybe catch up on the pile of Q and Mojo magazines that I've accumulated or perhaps the biography of Dusty Springfield I've been wanting to start for a while.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Picked up my copy yesterday @ tescos for £15. Shall start reading tomorrow as i've got the next two weeks off work...yipee!!!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:33 pm

I'm really confused right now... the extended edition "Tune In" still is only part one of "All These Years", right? smt179

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:06 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I'm really confused right now... the extended edition "Tune In" still is only part one of "All These Years", right? smt179

Yep. There are eventually going to be three books, presumably called "Tune In", "Turn On" and "Drop Out". When Mark Lewisohn originally presented his manuscript for the first book, the publishers said that it was too long for a regular edition and that he had to cut it down to a 'normal' size, but that they liked the full length version so much they would also publish that as a separate deluxe edition. The shorter book has nothing missing in terms of story, but the longer version fleshes out the details more.

I don't think that it's been confirmed whether or not future volumes will be available in two formats, and maybe it will depend on how sales go this time round.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm

The Pirate wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I'm really confused right now... the extended edition "Tune In" still is only part one of "All These Years", right? smt179

Yep. There are eventually going to be three books, presumably called "Tune In", "Turn On" and "Drop Out". When Mark Lewisohn originally presented his manuscript for the first book, the publishers said that it was too long for a regular edition and that he had to cut it down to a 'normal' size, but that they liked the full length version so much they would also publish that as a separate deluxe edition. The shorter book has nothing missing in terms of story, but the longer version fleshes out the details more.

I don't think that it's been confirmed whether or not future volumes will be available in two formats, and maybe it will depend on how sales go this time round.

Was thinking about buying the extended but at 140 Euros I thought it over.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:04 am

I thought it over too ...

140101_Amazon UK Book Order.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 am

keninlincs wrote:
George Smith wrote:I'm also re-reading the book via the extended Kindle version: it remains excellent and essential.

Thanks for the review George ,based on that i have picked it up today from Tesco@£15

I am reading this during breaks at work,great book

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I thought it over too ...

My ship came in, on schedule, from merry ol' England.

The deluxe edition of Mark Lewisohn's biography is a handsome, quality publication in 2 volumes, akin to buying a classic imprint! Each even has a bookmark in the binding. I will be a quietly reading young man for a while, methinks. ;-)