Off Topic Messages

Re: Michael Schumacher fights for his life

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm

debtd1 wrote:Austin Texas was included in the 2013 calendar.....hasnt been an F1 race since 2007 when it was at Indianapolis

You might want to check the 2012 calendar. :P

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:32 pm

FVH wrote:
debtd1 wrote:Austin Texas was included in the 2013 calendar.....hasnt been an F1 race since 2007 when it was at Indianapolis

lol....caught out;-)....I stand corrected (of course)

I suppose what I was 'trying' to get across is that the US has F1 less frequently than other countries...hence why Michael isn't well know by some members on here....

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:46 pm

debtd1 wrote:
FVH wrote:

lol....caught out;-)....I stand corrected (of course)

I suppose what I was 'trying' to get across is that the US has F1 less frequently than other countries...hence why Michael isn't well know by some members on here....

But they do get Top gear and Schumacher IS the stig so everyone on the planet should know him :P .

phpBB [video]

p.s I know he isn`t really the stig but he was a really good sport doing that and a really nice guy too, I wish him well in his recovery.

Alan.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm

ECC83 wrote:Lol, it's always the USA that's rather clueless.

I would bet there are several topics of which you have little or no interest, but that doesn't make you, or your country, clueless. You get that way for suggesting such silly things, I'd say.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 pm

I think you're missing the point a bit. It has nothing to do with interest, even my grandmother who can't drive a car knows who MS is. To comment on the popularity of MS is difficult because he is an individual who has pretty much transcended his own fanbase outside motorsports, so when members from a highly developed country look around dumbfoundedly, it is a LOL moment.

In a way I guess it depends on your news over there, if they don't report, you don't know. Which makes me wonder what else you guys are missing out on.

Also, one does not need to have an interest to know some aspect of something. I have no interest in basketball but you won't find me wondering who Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'neal, Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, or Larry Bird is.

Do you have anymore to add on general cluelessness?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Well, auto racing is different; some people really have no interest in ANY kind of auto racing at all.

I know maybe 3 or 4 names, and they go way back.

I have no interest in a sport where people smash vehicles into smithereens at outrageous speeds. I don't like it. So, I don't follow it at all.

I do try to learn about other sports that are not necessarily huge in the States. We have a few that others don't play. And some folks in other countries don't know some of the most famous participants.

When I was a kid, Broadway Joe was my hero. How many non-Americans know of him? He was a GINORMOUS celebrity here.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:33 pm

rjm wrote:Well, auto racing is different; some people really have no interest in ANY kind of auto racing at all.

I have no interest in a sport where people smash vehicles into smithereens at outrageous speeds. I don't like it. So, I don't follow it at all.

I do try to learn about other sports that are not necessarily huge in the States. We have a few that others don't play. And some folks in other countries don't know some of the most famous participants.

When I was a kid, Broadway Joe was my hero. How many non-Americans know of him? He was a GINORMOUS celebrity here.

rjm

How are you getting on with the cricket, RJM?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 am

rjm wrote:Well, auto racing is different; some people really have no interest in ANY kind of auto racing at all.

rjm

Why would auto racing be different?

Why would non-Americans need to know who Broadway Joe is? The biggest difference between the points we're both trying to make is that the celebrity in question here (MS) is part of a sport that involves competitors from multiple nations, the sport takes place in every continent except for Africa and Antarctica, although it has taken place in Africa in the past.

Broadway Joe's success has been mainly, if not completely been limited, to the USA, therefore the majority of his audience I would say has been in the USA. There'd be no reason for the rest of the world to know who he is. Although, I was familiar with the name already so I would say there is a fair amount of people who know Broadway Joe is even if they have never lived in the USA.

I say this in all fairness with no attempt to ridicule Broadway Joe himself, rather, pointing out that your argument is flawed.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:58 am

rjm

I have no interest in seeing people punching each other, but I know the names of boxers.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:08 pm

londonflash wrote:

rjm

How are you getting on with the cricket, RJM?

Funny you should ask. Struggling! LOL!

(I really am trying, but it is complicated! Seriously. Intricate and complicated. It's like math!)

Oh, pmp: I take your point about boxing, but it took me a long time to realize the degree of violence I was digging when I was a kid. And it is *physical* athleticism. (There is a real beauty, for instance, to Ali's dancing that is not present in a car.) But you're right; it is probably equally violent. It's just that the damage takes longer.

I just always saw car racing like bullfighting, you know? I thought some people attended in the hope of witnessing a horror.

rjm
P.S. -- Flawed argument or not, ECC83, thanks for knowing who Joe is! A lot of *Americans* under 40 do not even remember. :(

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 am

his agent has released details today saying there are 'encouraging' signs of improvement

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Certainly great news. A glimmer of hope is better than none at all.

To add to the "cluelessness" at discussion here, auto racing generally gets very little reporting in the States. NASCAR, yes, but the others pale greatly by comparison. Same goes with soccer (as we call it). Millions play it, but as a professional entity, it has never grabbed the attention of the masses here, and it is unlikely to ever get more than a passing fancy. Doesn't make us "clueless."

Everyone has different passions. Sorry some disapprove of ours.