Off Topic Messages

Michael Schumacher fights for his life

Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 pm

From the bottom of my heart I do hope that he will win ....one of the greatest sportsmen ever...

Re: Michael Schumacher fights for his life

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Ever since the death of Ayrton Senna on May 1 1994 I have been following Formula 1 and Michael's career particularly. I still remember the day when he broke his leg during the Silverstone grand prix back in 1999. He had enough strength to return and basically win the Malaysian race (giving the win to Eddie Ervine, who had still been fighting for the championship) in a matter of a few months after that accident.
He is a strong man and I truly hope his state will get better soon. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:32 pm

I wish him well

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:34 pm

It all is in Gods hands. :(

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Tragedy. Hope he pulls through.

Brian :(

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:57 pm

For those in the U.S. and elsewhere (like me) who are unfamiliar with this person or what happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher#2013_skiing_accident

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Michael Schumacher is the Muhammad Ali of Formula 1 motor sports...the planet is praying for him..

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Michael Schumacher is the Muhammad Ali of Formula 1 motor sports...the planet is praying for him..

That's a bit of a stretch, as he is not a household name in the U.S. But I sympathize with his family at this time.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Ciscoking wrote:From the bottom of my heart I do hope that he will win ....one of the greatest sportsmen ever...

The last of the great Formula 1 drivers. I hope he pulls through.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Michael Schumacher is the Muhammad Ali of Formula 1 motor sports...the planet is praying for him..

That's a bit of a stretch, as he is not a household name in the U.S. But I sympathize with his family at this time.

Formula 1 is not very popular in the USA, but that's probably because there haven't been leading USA Formula 1 drivers for many years. From what I read, there haven't been any USA Formula 1 drivers in the last few years :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_drivers_from_the_United_States#Current_drivers

In some countries, like Austria or Spain, this sports wasn't very popular until leading drivers from those countries reached the top, like Niki Lauda, and Fernando Alonso.

Likewise, if you ask us Europeans about baseball, we probably won't go too far past Joe DiMaggio or Mickey Mantle - and that thanks to Hollywood.

Fortunately, despite living in a global world, each of our countries has its own culture.

That said, I wish the best for Michael Schumacher in these difficult moments.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02 pm

these things always seem so much worse around Christmas, he will be 45 on 3rd Jan..his Son was with him when it happened too....poor lad.

When you think how they put their lives on the line every time they get behind the wheel of the F1 car....and then something like this happens when 'chilling' out....

Strange that they (Natasha Richardson) both seemed ok and walked away...deteriorating soon after.

I hope he pulls through, far too young....hopefully his fitness level will help his recovery.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:59 pm

All we can do is wait and hope for the best. I wish him well.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 pm

Winston wrote:It all is in Gods hands. :(

No it isn't.
It's in the very capable hands of the brilliant doctors who are treating him around the clock, and how he is responding to this treatment.

I've been an F1 nut since 2000, and a big fan of particularly Michael Schumacher.
Very sad for his family and us fans around the world, and I wish him a speedy and full recovery and a happy new year.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:17 am

He was definitely a great champion. Not well-known in the USA, but really at the top of his profession. I hope he recovers.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:40 am

Lol, it's always the USA that's rather clueless.

Schumacher meant a lot to me growing up, watching him fight out the 90's seasons and then utterly dominating in the early 2000's. It was a big shock when I heard the news. Both Senna and Schumacher were my favourites and it isn't easy believing that Senna is gone 20 years on, I just hope that Schumacher makes a full recovery ASAP.

As to the state of the the American F1 drivers, it is a shame really. I wasn't old enough to remember F1 when there were American drivers, but I believe it was Andretti or someone who was the last. None of the American automotive motor sports match up in any shape or form to the might of F1. I was watching NASCAR and Indy a few times and the technology in the cars is reminiscent of the technology used back in the 1980's in F1! All your carbon fibre, dual clutch 7 speed transmissions, regenerative braking, etc. has been a part of the F1 scene as far back as the 1970's and 1980's, it is pretty much the pinnacle in terms of automotive engineering and what is founded there slowly makes it way into the market.

The complexity of the tracks is also typically no where near F1, what the hell is so interesting about taking a left turn for 200 laps in NASCAR? I love motor sports and even I find it difficult watching more than 20 laps. Juan Pablo Montoya isn't American, but he did a lot of racing in the USA in Indy and NASCAR and still does, he did a brief stint in F1 and he did pretty well so I don't think it's impossible for any American driver to transition over, but getting into F1 is not easy, no matter how skilled you are, these days it is about what sponsorship you can bring and as F1 is not very popular in the USA this is a tough ask for any upcoming driver.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 am

ECC83 wrote:Lol, it's always the USA that's rather clueless.

Clueless because they aren't familiar with a race car driver for a sport that is not very popular in their country? :facep:

I am one of the clueless people from the US that has no interest in auto racing. I hope he pulls through.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 pm

ranskal wrote:

Clueless because they aren't familiar with a race car driver for a sport that is not very popular in their country? :facep:

I am one of the clueless people from the US that has no interest in auto racing. I hope he pulls through.

No, in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9IJQXtIH4

Especially so if it's something the rest of the world already knows.

Thanks for posting :smt006

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Schumacher meant a lot to me growing up, watching him fight out the 90's seasons and then utterly dominating in the early 2000's. It was a big shock when I heard the news. Both Senna and Schumacher were my favourites and it isn't easy believing that Senna is gone 20 years on, I just hope that Schumacher makes a full recovery ASAP.

As to the state of the the American F1 drivers, it is a shame really. I wasn't old enough to remember F1 when there were American drivers, but I believe it was Andretti or someone who was the last. None of the American automotive motor sports match up in any shape or form to the might of F1. I was watching NASCAR and Indy a few times and the technology in the cars is reminiscent of the technology used back in the 1980's in F1! All your carbon fibre, dual clutch 7 speed transmissions, regenerative braking, etc. has been a part of the F1 scene as far back as the 1970's and 1980's, it is pretty much the pinnacle in terms of automotive engineering and what is founded there slowly makes it way into the market.

The complexity of the tracks is also typically no where near F1, what the hell is so interesting about taking a left turn for 200 laps in NASCAR? I love motor sports and even I find it difficult watching more than 20 laps. Juan Pablo Montoya isn't American, but he did a lot of racing in the USA in Indy and NASCAR and still does, he did a brief stint in F1 and he did pretty well so I don't think it's impossible for any American driver to transition over, but getting into F1 is not easy, no matter how skilled you are, these days it is about what sponsorship you can bring and as F1 is not very popular in the USA this is a tough ask for any upcoming driver.

American driver Scott Speed drove for Toro Ross in 06-07.
Yes, Montoya made quite a stir when he drove in F1 - and one of the few that gave Michael a run when he dominated the sport.
As for cluelessness, I'm not surprised that Americans don't know who Schumacher is.
This in spite of the fact that he is one of the all time greatest athletes, and should be generally known to most on that merit alone.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Andretti was on the go when i was routing for James Hunt....The Lauda and Hunt sparring was brilliant.
It was a crying shame it took the death of Senna for safety regulations to be upped. He was a brilliant driver...
If I'm honest, not a fan of Michael, think he knew how to 'place' the car on the track to his best advantage....lol (that been said, I wish him a all the luck in the world to get better)

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 am

FVH wrote:

American driver Scott Speed drove for Toro Ross in 06-07.
Yes, Montoya made quite a stir when he drove in F1 - and one of the few that gave Michael a run when he dominated the sport.
As for cluelessness, I'm not surprised that Americans don't know who Schumacher is.
This in spite of the fact that he is one of the all time greatest athletes, and should be generally known to most on that merit alone.

Cheers, will look up Scott Speed, the name sounds very familiar, but that's one season I missed out on as I moved country around then :(

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 am

debtd1 wrote:

Andretti was on the go when i was routing for James Hunt....The Lauda and Hunt sparring was brilliant.
It was a crying shame it took the death of Senna for safety regulations to be upped. He was a brilliant driver...
If I'm honest, not a fan of Michael, think he knew how to 'place' the car on the track to his best advantage....lol (that been said, I wish him a all the luck in the world to get better)

You are lucky to have started watching F1 in those years! I watched the movie Rush recently and I really wish I could go back in time to those seasons. Haha yes, I know what you mean about the placement...

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:03 am

ECC83 wrote:
debtd1 wrote:

You are lucky to have started watching F1 in those years! I watched the movie Rush recently and I really wish I could go back in time to those seasons. Haha yes, I know what you mean about the placement...

I've always been a petrol head....lol
When James won in 76 I was 10....remember it well though. Nowadays I support Lewis....he's the Man..... 8) 8) 8)
......Only as good as your car though...as Seb proves;-)

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 am

Michael Schumacher, and his family, are in my thoughts.

His duals on the track with Damon Hill in the mid-90s, and Mika Hakkinen a little later, before he really crushed all opposition between 2000 and 2004 will live long in my memory.

Am surprised he is not more well known in the States, but as has already been posted, most people outside of the USA would struggle to name more than a few American Footballers, baseball players etc.

I fervently hope this great champion makes a full recovery.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:42 am

ECC83 wrote:
ranskal wrote:

No, in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9IJQXtIH4

Especially so if it's something the rest of the world already knows.

Thanks for posting :smt006

Thanks for setting the record straight. :smt006

Enjoy your racing.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Austin Texas was included in the 2013 calendar.....hasnt been an F1 race since 2007 when it was at Indianapolis