Off Topic Messages

Man Of Steel ---- what a letdown!!!

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:14 am

OMG! Just watched "Man of Steel" - the new Superman movie after waiting eagerly for over a year!! .... My review? "Hey - look at my Computer Generated Graphics? Cool huh???!! ... Oh Shoot .... spent so much time on them, I forgot to write a script!!"

That is the poorest "Superman" depiction I have ever seen! The lead character has less charisma than a squid. Even the usually immaculate Amy Adams was dismal as Lois Lane.

Time to get out the Christopher Reeve box set. He and Margot Kidder, Jackie Coogan, Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty and co filled the screen with presence, energy and enjoyment. This new outing is one of the crappest movie efforts I've seen in a long time! :shock:

Re: Man Of Steel ---- what a letdown!!!

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 am

I thought it was a big letdown too. It seemed to me to lack the charm of the Christopher Reeve original's, and I also missed the classic john williams musical score.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:19 pm

I liked the reboot ,thought it was much better than Superman returns,but nowhere near as good as Reeves "Superman the movie"

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Things have been going downhill since "Superman and the Mole Men." That one will never be topped.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Things have been going downhill since "Superman and the Mole Men." That one will never be topped.

Well stated.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:24 am

I personaly liked it, of course the lead actor did'nt strike the chord as well as Christopher Reeve but who would? If the film had any flaws it was an over abundance of action, particulary towards the end, it had it's flaws, like most movies do but on the whole a much welcome reboot of the franchise.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:53 am

music2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Things have been going downhill since "Superman and the Mole Men." That one will never be topped.

Well stated.

In all seriousness, I always tear up when Superman (George Reeves) cuts off the villain trying to thank him (after saving his life) with "That's more than you DESERVE."

511123_Superman and the Mole Men.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:21 am

George Reeves was awesome, as was Christopher Reeve.

Man of Steel started out (pretty) well, but DC (and Warner) would rather see Superman become more like Batman than "update" the character is a truly mature way that celebrates what works about him.

Too much "destruction p0rn" at the end of the movie (the viewer stops caring after too much with no breath), not showing Superman's compassion for people enough after the first half, not to mention his conviction. The last part became "300" in capes and heat vision, with Superman killing the villian in the end (typical and bland for an average action movie, but smacks of shock value for it's own sake when applied to Superman). And after that killing, everything does an insta-switch to quippy happytown, leaving viewers with whiplash.. as if a 2 year old edited it.

I really liked Henry Cavill - he did well with what he was given. He does action well which being able to sell (imo) the solid earnestness of Superman. The effect of his talent at this is lessened when the last half of the movie dumps cold water all over the idealism he portrays so well.

Sorry... I'm a HUGE Superman fan, and I hated "Man Of Steel", very sad to say. :(

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't think that Man of Steel was an entire failure, although it was a hugely disappointing film that offered a narrative thrust contradictory to what Superman is supposed to be -- a saviour for the people of earth, as opposed to someone who allows wanton death and destruction whilst he fights General Zod. It's not one of 2013's worst films, but is surely one of the year's most disappointing because of the talent involved and the promise of something special. I thought Zack Snyder was a good choice of director, although I haven't loved his work, but do appreciate the ambition and visual style he brings to the screen. Henry Cavill was also well cast as Superman, although such a humourless depiction, with regards to the central character and the overall tone of the film, served only to create a mood that sits like an angst filled cloud over the film. But there's some interesting stuff in Man of Steel, especially a new take on Krypton that feels like a different film entirely. And although there's a poignancy amiss in the relationship between Kal-El and the Kents, Kevin Costner brought layers of humanity and a real depth of feeling to Jonathan Kent who, unfortunately, was unceremoniously killed off in a way that must have left more people scratching heads than tugging at heartstrings. There was little in the way of chemistry between Cavill and Amy Adams, who was Ok as Louis Lane, although there was an aimlessness to her character that was met only by the convenience of her being in the right/wrong place at the right time. But I think that Man of Steel's final act undoes much of what's worthwhile in the film up until that point, especially when a talent as sizeable as Michael Shannon is rendered so uninteresting as the villain of the piece. But the calamity on screen as Superman and Zod annihilate each other - and the city - seems to have been created with Snyder's eye coming off what better intentions he had of the character. The end of Thor: The Dark World is similar, but much better handled, being peppered with humour, more even staging and an affection for the characters; something that seems to fritter away with each passing moment in Man of Steel. Which is a shame, because there's a better film in there, and more interesting stories to be told of the character. Perhaps we'll see that in Batman Vs. Superman because, for all that's wrong with Man of Steel, the potential is still there for this team to create a movie that holds its own in competitive world of superhero movies.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:28 am

Beautifully said, Greystoke. I feel (almost) exactly the same way, to the letter. I'm not as optimistic about "Superman Vs. Batman", because they have serious issues left to address from "Man Of Steel", and we have not only Batman in the film, but Wonder Woman and Flash as well. I don't trust that they can handle all that and bring Superman to the place that he needs to be. Which is especially sad, since, as you said - the pieces on the playing field should have made for something amazing.

And now I have to see "Thor: The Dark World". Thanks for the reminder! :)

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:OMG! Just watched "Man of Steel" - the new Superman movie after waiting eagerly for over a year!! .... My review? "Hey - look at my Computer Generated Graphics? Cool huh???!! ... Oh Shoot .... spent so much time on them, I forgot to write a script!!"

That is the poorest "Superman" depiction I have ever seen! The lead character has less charisma than a squid. Even the usually immaculate Amy Adams was dismal as Lois Lane.

Time to get out the Christopher Reeve box set. He and Margot Kidder, Jackie Coogan, Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty and co filled the screen with presence, energy and enjoyment. This new outing is one of the crappest movie efforts I've seen in a long time! :shock:

If you where waiting eagerly to see it why did you not just go to the cinema to see it months ago ? it was much better on the big screen !!!

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:58 pm

rocknroller wrote:

If you where waiting eagerly to see it why did you not just go to the cinema to see it months ago ? it was much better on the big screen !!!

Because our lies are so damn ridiculously busy - we just haven't the time to go to the cinema. I prefer to watch 'em at home anyway.

Really glad I didn't waste time and money at the cinema with this tripe though - I'd have probably fell asleep with my earphones in (like I did at Revenge Of The Sith)

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Because our lies are so damn ridiculously busy - we just haven't the time to go to the cinema. I prefer to watch 'em at home anyway.

Really glad I didn't waste time and money at the cinema with this tripe though - I'd have probably fell asleep with my earphones in (like I did at Revenge Of The Sith)

With your taste in movies mate maybe best too keep out of the public !!! :lol:

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey lol! There's nothing wrong with The Dekalogue, The Double Life Of Veronique, Amelie or Pan's Labrynth!!! :D

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 pm

I enjoyed this film for the most part. I do think the fight scenes were to long. They could have shaved 15 minutes off this film easily. Another problem I had was the Lois Lane character. The actress just didn't do a thing for me. She was just a cardboard cutout in my opinion. She was the only weak casting choice in my eyes. I enjoyed the other performances. I also think you need to just get the Christopher Reeve movies out of you're head before watching this. There is no point in comparing the two. Those Reeve films are almost light comedies to a certain degree. I completely understand the new film taking a darker tone. I don't know how well the Reeve films would be received today. I kinda think the camp factor might not go over with today's audiences.
I gotta say the blu ray of Man Of Steel is top notch. The picture and sound quality are stunning. I think I could have cracked some windows with its audio track. If you have a good system this will give it a workout.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:10 am

For my part, I didn't go in expecting Reeve. That argument gets used a lot and (at least in my case) it's a huge amount of overassumption (though I do understand that wasn't just directed at me). Alyn, Reeves, Collyer, Reeve, Cain, Routh and others were all unique in their own way and nearly all of them shine as their own Superman (except for Routh, who was asked to "be" Reeve - a mistake as I feel he could have had a better shot otherwise). I expected Superman in this movie, and didn't quite get him. Darker to a degree is fine, but all of the press for the movie said that the world would be darker but not the character - that he'd be the "shining light" of the movie. That's not what came through in the final edit, if it was intended at all. What they set out to do is take every tennant of the character they thought wasn't "cool" or "modern" and snapped it like a twig. It's not just speculation, it's pretty obvious - and while there is some merit to shocking an audience to make them pay attention with an open mind (for instance I even liked the Lois knowing his secret almost from the beginning, and a few other things as they seemed well thought-out and not thrown in at the last minute), there is a point where that can be taken too far. And I think time will show that to be the case here - it's evidenced now (in part) by the fact that "Man of Steel" toys and products are in the bargain bin, while "Avengers" and most other Marvel properties still sell well. You can do humor, heart, inner strength of character, and Superman's trademark optimism without resorting to camp. Zach Snider obviously doesn't feel that way, but Marvel and other comics properties have shown it, as have many other movies.

Jak (funny enough, those are my initials!), I felt the same way about Amy Adams, but I think the script had a lot to do with that. For me, I also wasn't crazy about her not having Lois' dark hair. Not that every Lois has had that. Amy Adams is a great actress (imo), but when I see her with her red hair I see Amy, not Lois. I know the actress too well, which doesn't help either.

Sorry if that sounds like a bit of a soapbox - I have a passion for Superman to rival my passion for Elvis, and to see some of what they did in the name of "updating" the character smacks of the decade-long pattern DC has had lately in their over-zeal to make Superman appeal to the "cool kids" by ignoring or outright attacking some of what makes the character resonate with people beyond the comic book. That the first half had some really great ideas just makes it that much more of a shame in my eyes.

I am, however, glad you enjoyed the film. Glad somebody did, and I do sincerely wish I had! lol

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:10 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Hey lol! There's nothing wrong with The Dekalogue, The Double Life Of Veronique, Amelie or Pan's Labrynth!!! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:31 am

I agree completely about Lane not having the dark hair. They shouldn't have changed that. I've liked Adams in other films I've seen her in. She just do it for me as Lois Lane.
I would be curious what others thought of Superman's costume. I felt the new look worked pretty good.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:21 am

I didn't like the costume at first (as I thought it was a DC mandate to lose the shorts to be like the comics, which turned out not to be the case), but after some time I liked it much better than the comics' "New 52" costume. I also like it better than the "Superman Returns" costumes for the following reasons:

SR suit had a "t-shirt" collar, which takes away the strength of the look. MOS fixed that with the more classic collar that follows the collarbone.

The "S": SR's emblem looked great on products, but didn't work so well on the suit (it was so 3D that it buckled the suit in certain spots, which is why it had to be so small). The MOS emblem is not only larger and more dynamic because if the flatter style, it's also patterened after the 40's comic book emblems. I love that.

While I like the classic suit with the shorts, no shorts is better than SR's tiny, almost "speedo-esque" shorts. Also, losing the emblem in every place but the chest was smart - SR's idea of putting the emblem on the belt, 2 places on the boots, and even smaller on the suit fabric was too much "accessorising" that flies in the face of Superman as a character.

SR's suit kept a light blue and darkened the red to a purple-ish burgandy... almost making them Bizarro colors and drawing comparisons to the "evil/dirty" Superman costume from "Superman III". MOS took the right track - darken the blue and make the red more brilliant. This is what the "Thor" movie costume did as well. The movie itself doesn't service the costume in the least, though - they overdid the "blue filter" so much you'd think they got their cinematography inspiration from the first Twilight movie (and this is from somebody who also really liked the Twilight books and movies!) Look at movie pictures that haven't been touched up vs the shots with their "mood filtering".

I will say that the classic suit (which doesn't necessarily mean the Reeve suit) is still the most regal and dynamic, but I do like the MOS suit overall.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:23 pm

JamieAKelley wrote:For my part, I didn't go in expecting Reeve.

Come on, you well know that George Reeves is the Elvis Presley of "Superman" films.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:George Reeves is the Elvis Presley of "Superman" films.

That's not something you hear said often.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:19 pm

It's about time George got his due.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:54 pm

I liked the film 'Man Of Steel' but from what i have read about the sequel, i can't see that working.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:For my part, I didn't go in expecting Reeve.

Come on, you well know that George Reeves is the Elvis Presley of "Superman" films.

lol - apples and oranges, imo.

I like both George Reeves and Christopher Reeve for their portrayals, which are very different. It's often said that George was "the fatherly Superman", Chris more like a brother. I think that's fitting, and couldn't pick between them.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:05 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Come on, you well know that George Reeves is the Elvis Presley of "Superman" films.

That's not something you hear said often.

Such boldness is what makes FECC #1.