Off Topic Messages

Lonely This Christmas

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:29 am

If anyone out there is feeling lonely this Christmas, you could always mope on down to the local Bus Station where there's bound to be some Christmas drop-out who's drunk enough and daft enough to listen to you twodle on about your terrible life. Take a blanket, then you could snuggle up together and talk about the good ol' days. Always love this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXi5TDNJNfY

Les, a sweet guy!

Re: Lonely This Christmas

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:36 am

I just watched this on TOTP2. "He sounded more like Elvis than Elvis". :D

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:09 am

I did post this last week, but I'm not bitter.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80632&view=unread#unread

Try this lovely update from the just as lovely Scottish songstess KT Tunstall:

phpBB [video]

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:21 am

mike edwards66 wrote:I did post this last week, but I'm not bitter.

phpBB [video]

That's an interesting update of the song. The original was, whether we like to admit or not, a novelty record - a kind of pastiche of an Elvis track. The Tunstall version takes it and turns it into something more legitimate.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:55 am

Did not know Les Gray was an ETA.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:47 am

mike edwards66 wrote:I did post this last week, but I'm not bitter.

phpBB [video]

Sorry mike... missed yours! I always give the song plenty of spins at this time of year. Les had a very endearing way about him and Lonely This Christmas shows this very well. It's quite a beautiful song and of course Les the band were dedicated and talented guys in their own right. I remember being at school and there being some debate about it being an Elvis song with someone pretending to be Elvis singing it because Elvis wouldn't come over. The KT Tunstall version was playing in McDonalds this morning... had me crying in my coffee. Just sublime.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:43 pm

jungleroombear wrote:If anyone out there is feeling lonely this Christmas, you could always mope on down to the local Bus Station where there's bound to be some Christmas drop-out who's drunk enough and daft enough to listen to you twodle on about your terrible life. Take a blanket, then you could snuggle up together and talk about the good ol' days. Always love this one...

Les, a sweet guy!

Thanks jungleroombear. I too remember some people believing it was actually Elvis singing and not Les, and others saying that it sounded more like Elvis than Elvis himself did (rather like the demo singers who hoped to catch Elvis' ear by singing in his style). It was a classic 70s track but I never expected it to be on playlists year after after year. Such is its hold on people. I love this track.

The KT Tunstall version, also in this thread, was new to me and a truly worthwhile interpretation of the song. Thanks to Mike for posting it.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Suds wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:If anyone out there is feeling lonely this Christmas, you could always mope on down to the local Bus Station where there's bound to be some Christmas drop-out who's drunk enough and daft enough to listen to you twodle on about your terrible life. Take a blanket, then you could snuggle up together and talk about the good ol' days. Always love this one...

Les, a sweet guy!

Thanks jungleroombear. I too remember some people believing it was actually Elvis singing and not Les, and others saying that it sounded more like Elvis than Elvis himself did (rather like the demo singers who hoped to catch Elvis' ear by singing in his style). It was a classic 70s track but I never expected it to be on playlists year after after year. Such is its hold on people. I love this track.

The KT Tunstall version, also in this thread, was new to me and a truly worthwhile interpretation of the song. Thanks to Mike for posting it.

Suds thanks for confirming.. my memories of that song are correct! It's sad to think that Les is no longer around but like you say, it's a classic and is great to hear every Christmas esp if the words resonate with the listener! :smt006

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Suds wrote: The KT Tunstall version, also in this thread, was new to me and a truly worthwhile interpretation of the song. Thanks to Mike for posting it.

Glad you liked it buddy.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Cant beat Wizzard for the best Christmas song ever..........a classic

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:11 pm

debtd1 wrote:Cant beat Wizzard for the best Christmas song ever..........a classic

It's a great song debtd1. According to Wiki, Roy Wood tried to get some songs he wrote to Elvis in the seventies.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Very similar melody to Sylvia. I wonder if Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn had that in mind when they wrote Lonely This Christmas?

Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:05 am

I've had KT's version on a Christmas playlist for a few years. Don't think I've listened to the original since her cover came out.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzpBwdUcpA4

X-mas , 007 style :mrgreen:

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:32 pm

I've always thought it was a shame this wasn't given to Elvis directly. In 1975 he was still in pretty decent voice if you caught him on a good day and he would have knocked spots of that Mud parody.