Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Matt Ashton
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

New Johnny Cash Recordings To Be Released

Post by Matt Ashton »

Interesting stuff...

A dozen newly discovered recordings made by Cash three decades ago will be released next year as an album, Sony Music's Legacy Recordings said on Tuesday. 'Out Among The Stars' will be released on March 25th. The 12 songs, which include two written by Cash, were recorded in Nashville Tenn., in 1981 and 1984, but the record company passed on releasing them before dropping Cash from the label in 1986.

I guess it's always nice to have new material, however they didn't release this stuff back in the day so it would be interesting to see what the quality of these tracks are??

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes."

poormadpeter

Re: New Johnny Cash Recordings To Be Released

Post by poormadpeter »

Matt Ashton wrote:Interesting stuff...

A dozen newly discovered recordings made by Cash three decades ago will be released next year as an album, Sony Music's Legacy Recordings said on Tuesday. 'Out Among The Stars' will be released on March 25th. The 12 songs, which include two written by Cash, were recorded in Nashville Tenn., in 1981 and 1984, but the record company passed on releasing them before dropping Cash from the label in 1986.

I guess it's always nice to have new material, however they didn't release this stuff back in the day so it would be interesting to see what the quality of these tracks are??
Its difficult to know with Cash - his material veered from the great to the banal in the 1980s. However, we shouldn't judge them on their unreleased status. Unlike Elvis, Cash loved recording in the studio, and often recorded more albums or songs than were required of him and so, as with Bobby Darin, there have been a number of complete unreleased projects released since his death.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by George Smith »

poormadpeter wrote:Unlike Elvis, Cash loved recording in the studio
I think this may be overstating the case a little, Peter, but you may feel differently of course.

It was certainly a struggle to get Elvis to record during the mid-60s and mid-70s but he seemed keen enough outside of those times?

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Johnny Cash ...Lost album to be released 2014

Postby keninlincs » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:24 am
Good news for fans of "The Man In Black"
http://www.nme.com/news/johnny-cash/74343
Out Among the Stars:

01 Out Among the Stars
02 Baby Ride Easy [ft. June Carter Cash]
03 She Used to Love Me a Lot
04 After All
05 I'm Movin' On [ft. Waylon Jennings]
06 If I Told You Who It Was
07 Call Your Mother *
08 I Drove Her Out of My Mind
09 Tennessee
10 Rock and Roll Shoes
11 Don't You Think It's Come Our Time [ft. June Carter Cash]
12 I Came to Believe *

* Written by Johnny Cash

Attachments

Zoom in (real dimensions: 658 x 658)57c57b46.jpg
57c57b46.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 8 times

"
She used to love me a lot sounds good

-instagram kenh1964

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

George Smith wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Unlike Elvis, Cash loved recording in the studio
I think this may be overstating the case a little, Peter, but you may feel differently of course.

It was certainly a struggle to get Elvis to record during the mid-60s and mid-70s but he seemed keen enough outside of those times?
I'm not so sure - it was certainly a struggle to get his enthusiasm going in 1971, too, and in July 1973. Sometimes when he was in the studio, he seemingly wanted to do anything but record (such as in the Going Home sessions). In 1972 he only made a handful of studio recordings, and none at all in 1974. That's a good six year period when he wasn't keen on the idea + various points in the 60s.

With Cash, on the other hand, he was there all the time - certainly more so than we first thought. There was no struggle getting three or more albums out him in a year for the most part. We also know he had his own studio where he went to record (some of the material from which was released on the Personal File" 2CD set). A whole unreleased Columbia gospel album was released last year as part of the Bootleg series. There were also unreleased studio tracks on the Love/God/Murder set, the Legend boxed set, plus dozens of collaborations for other people's albums

In the last ten years of his life he seemed to record virtually every day he was healthy. Four American albums came out while he was alive, a boxed set containing four more CDs of new material from the period came out after his death, followed by two more posthumous albums from the same period - and there is apparently more where they came from, but simply isn't going to be released due to quality.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Hmm, okay, perhaps there's something in what you say but if Cash was in the studio as often as you suggest it sounds like more of an obsession than anything else, so maybe it's not such a fair comparison: was anyone as keen to record as Cash?

Elvis was still very happy to record for significant parts of his career, and those periods were simply staggering. He packed more into July 1954 - June 1958, for example, than most artists do in a lifetime.

Still like lots of Cash's stuff, though, I must confess.

WALK A LONELY STREET

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

George Smith wrote:Hmm, okay, perhaps there's something in what you say but if Cash was in the studio as often as you suggest it sounds like more of an obsession than anything else, so maybe it's not such a fair comparison: was anyone as keen to record as Cash?

Elvis was still very happy to record for significant parts of his career, and those periods were simply staggering. He packed more into July 1954 - June 1958, for example, than most artists do in a lifetime.

Still like lots of Cash's stuff, though, I must confess.
I'm not sure he recorded any more than anyone else at any time, to be honest. Those 50s years were working out to around an average of 30 songs per year. That sounds a lot, but 3 albums of 12 songs per year was perfectly normal at that point.

I don't think Cash's time in the studio was obsessive, I think he just liked his job, and treated it like a hobby at the same time. Duke Ellington might have been the obsessive one regarding studio time - since his death literally hundreds of hours of studio material has been found from sessions he funded himself (not outtakes, but actual finished recordings!)

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

While I am not a huge fan of Johnny Cash, anything "new" by some of the pioneers of music is always interesting.

rlj

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

poormadpeter wrote:I'm not sure he recorded any more than anyone else at any time, to be honest. Those 50s years were working out to around an average of 30 songs per year. That sounds a lot ...
I'm not claiming quantity for Elvis' 1950s recordings, Peter, I'm claiming quality and a happiness to be working in the studio, as per your original suggestion.

WALK A LONELY STREET

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by elvis4life »

Track Listings

1. Out Among The Stars
2. Baby Ride Easy
3. She Used To Love Me A Lot
4. After All
5. I'm Movin' On
6. If I Told You Who It Was
7. Call Your Mother
8. I Drove Her Out Of My Mind
9. Tennessee
10. Rock And Roll Shoes
11. Don't You Think It's Come Our Time
12. I Came To Believe
13. Bonus Track

Editorial Reviews

Throughout his five decades in music, Johnny Cash was unwavering in his dedication to his sound and style. Starting with Sun Records in 1955 through his days at Columbia and beyond, Cash always knew exactly what he wanted to do and exactly how it should sound. Everything he did, all the music he created was definitively Johnny Cash.

By 1980, the business of country music had changed to incorporate sounds that were incongruous with Cash's. His signature blend of folk and that "boom-chicka-boom" beat was out of vogue amongst the slick string-laden "countrypolitan" sounds that had become popular. This shift left all-time greats like Cash in the odd place of being revered, but not selling albums.

In one effort to enhance his commercial appeal, Columbia Records paired Cash with producer Billy Sherrill who was having major success with this new country sound. While Sherrill selected many of the songs, it was Cash's trademark sound that dominated.

The sessions were nothing short of magic. Cash employed an expanded band, featuring a young Marty Stuart on guitar and fiddle as well as long-time duet partners June Carter Cash and Waylon Jennings. Much of what was recorded was locked away in the vault lost and not to be heard again. Until now.

Discovered in 2012, Out Among The Stars is truly a lost, previously unreleased Johnny Cash album. These aren't alternate takes or different versions of songs that you've heard. These are brand new songs to the Cash canon.

Completed in 2013 by Johnny's only son John Carter Cash, Out Among The Stars is a pivotal Johnny Cash album lost in time, and now ready to become a classic.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

music2
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by music2 »

Cash's dedication to his craft to the end of his life is very admirable.

On the other hand, Presley's apathy towards his recording sessions is criminal, demonstrates a lack of respect for his listening audience, additionally demonstrates a lack of a strong work ethic, and was basically a waste of talent.

The list of lean / squandered recording years by the Pelvis is somewhat easy to compile:

64-68 (yes both ends and in between)

71-77 (yes both ends and in between)

Yep. You read that right folks. That's basically a waste of TWELVE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be VERY difficult to make the case that in any of the above years Presley was working so hard in the recording studio that he was "dripping so much sweat his socks were wet".

That is not to state that there weren't some gems among the plethora of dross from those twelve years, but '56, '60, '69, or even '70 those years ain't.

That's a ridiculous amount of time to waste running around on motortricycles and holding poolside interviews.

The fact that even at an elderly age and in poor health that Cash cared more for his art than Presley did (while being far younger), for a lot of unnecessarily squandered time, speaks volumes about the character of each recording artist.