Off Topic Messages

Re: New Springsteen release

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Title track is bad.....really like Harrys Place and the last track on the album

Re: New Springsteen release

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:26 pm

I have listened to the album twice now. As always, there are lots of good or great songs on the album. However, I am not fond of the sound, the production. It simply has no life to it, and Morello's influence doesn't help. "Frankie Fell in Love" could have been wonderful. The song is great, Bruce sings with passion and attitude, but the music sounds... just like a random radio act. It's boring. I'm sure it will be a highlight in concert, though. Hopefully he'll come back to Europe soon. I'll be there.

I appreciate that Bruce refuses to sound like it's still 1978 but he does need a new producer who can make him sound contemporary without taking the heart and soul out of his music.

"Dream Baby Dream" is truly excellent, and I like this version of "41 Shots". But good as they are - they are songs we've aldready heard. The re-recording of "Tom Joad" is pointless. It has none of the beauty of the original, it sounds like a clumsy cover. I think Springsteen should have saved much of this material for some kind of archives release. He should have fired Morello, hired a good producer and released a more ambititious record instead. Needless to say he'll still get glowing reviews in all the rock mags but I for one think he can do better than this.

Re: New Springsteen release

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 pm

New Rolling Stone interview with Springsteen here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/a-54-minute-conversation-with-bruce-springsteen-20140109

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I have listened to the album twice now. As always, there are lots of good or great songs on the album. However, I am not fond of the sound, the production. It simply has no life to it, and Morello's influence doesn't help. "Frankie Fell in Love" could have been wonderful. The song is great, Bruce sings with passion and attitude, but the music sounds... just like a random radio act. It's boring. I'm sure it will be a highlight in concert, though. Hopefully he'll come back to Europe soon. I'll be there.

I appreciate that Bruce refuses to sound like it's still 1978 but he does need a new producer who can make him sound contemporary without taking the heart and soul out of his music.

"Dream Baby Dream" is truly excellent, and I like this version of "41 Shots". But good as they are - they are songs we've aldready heard. The re-recording of "Tom Joad" is pointless. It has none of the beauty of the original, it sounds like a clumsy cover. I think Springsteen should have saved much of this material for some kind of archives release. He should have fired Morello, hired a good producer and released a more ambititious record instead. Needless to say he'll still get glowing reviews in all the rock mags but I for one think he can do better than this.


It seems Springsteen very much likes how Morello pushes the envelope without pushing him. It's a growing relationship, and it seems likely Tom will become a band member when either Van Zandt or Lofgren chooses to retire.

Re: New Springsteen release

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:12 pm

I guess you're right. I haven't listened to any live shows with Morello in the band, I'll have to check them out. But I'm not sure his style suits Springsteen, or rather the Springsteen I want to hear. I remember the rap metal days. A truly horrific type of music. I don't ever want to revisit them, and so I am suspicious of Morello. :wink:

And apparantly he was the one who said Springsteen should revisit "High Hopes" which is the lamest idea I've heard in years. If he is Springsteen's new sidekick, a guy that comes with ideas and suggestions to him, a guy that have some say in the studio, he better get his act together.

I have listened some more to the record, and it's an uneven one that spans from awful ("High Hopes", "Harry's Place") to great ("Dream Baby Dream") and like I said I'm not a huge fan of the production.

Not bad at all but I liked "Wrecking Ball" much more.

Re: New Springsteen release

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I remember the rap metal days. A truly horrific type of music. I don't ever want to revisit them, and so I am suspicious of Morello.


"Rage against the machine" were a fantastic group. One of the best gigs I was ever at, and I am sure Bruce was a fan back then too.

Re: New Springsteen release

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I guess you're right. I haven't listened to any live shows with Morello in the band, I'll have to check them out. But I'm not sure his style suits Springsteen, or rather the Springsteen I want to hear. I remember the rap metal days. A truly horrific type of music. I don't ever want to revisit them, and so I am suspicious of Morello. :wink:

And apparantly he was the one who said Springsteen should revisit "High Hopes" which is the lamest idea I've heard in years. If he is Springsteen's new sidekick, a guy that comes with ideas and suggestions to him, a guy that have some say in the studio, he better get his act together.

I have listened some more to the record, and it's an uneven one that spans from awful ("High Hopes", "Harry's Place") to great ("Dream Baby Dream") and like I said I'm not a huge fan of the production.

Not bad at all but I liked "Wrecking Ball" much more.


The solo stuff Morello did as the Nightwatch man is pretty good.

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... y-19691231


Nice topic on RollingStone.com about Springsteen's 25 biggest heroes.

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Worth buying for the live concert DVD (an hour and six minutes long) if you can get it, but not so much the album itself. It's not 'Magic', that's for sure.

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 am

Got my copy of the CD/DVD today and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Also looking forward to seeing Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tomorrow (Tue). Bruce is the sole guest.

Chris