Off Topic Messages

New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:51 pm

On January 14th Bruce Springsteen will release a new album, "High Hopes" It will feature new tracks and some older unreleased ones. http://brucespringsteen.net

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:23 pm

YES !!

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:49 pm

There is a very good article on Billboard about the history of each track:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5800727/bruce-springsteen-high-hopes-new-studio-album-january-14

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Pink&Black wrote:On January 14th Bruce Springsteen will release a new album, "High Hopes" It will feature new tracks and some older unreleased ones. http://brucespringsteen.net


What an unusual, unexpected event. It's almost like a legal bootleg more than a single, concerted album project. He's got more covers on this disc than any album he's ever done, save the "Seeger Project" folk work (which tells me this is a "special" release). I am beyond thrilled he is covering Chris Bailey (Aussie rocker, co-founder of the Saints), and one of his finest solo numbers, "Just Like Fire Would." I suspect Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine) brought that one to the table.

Also, "High Hopes" is not the 1959 Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen chestnut, but a song written by Tim Scott from the Havalinas.

http://backstreets.com/news.html

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 pm

ChrisM wrote:There is a very good article on Billboard about the history of each track:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5800727/bruce-springsteen-high-hopes-new-studio-album-january-14

Chris



Thanks Chris, there's even talk of a European tour, too bad the article mentions he'll be playing festivals again. For the last 4 years Bruce has only played at festivals in Holland, would like to see him indoors for a change.

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Pink&Black wrote:For the last 4 years Bruce has only played at festivals in Holland, would like to see him indoors for a change.

Not true. Bruce did his biggest show in Holland ever last summer, and this was not a festival. I thought you attended this show?
:smt002

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Yes I did, and technically you're right, but I filed it under festival. It did have two support acts, something Springsteen usually doesn't have. Although it was a great concert I would love to see him at a smaller venue.

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:What an unusual, unexpected event.


Not really. It was widely expected among the Springsteen fan community that there would be a new album released before the South Africa, Australia and New Zealand shows in February. The lead single was officially announced last week and the full track list of this album leaked several days ago.

drjohncarpenter wrote: He's got more covers on this disc than any album he's ever done, save the "Seeger Project" folk work (which tells me this is a "special" release).


Live 75-85 has the same number of covers as this album (3).

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:13 am

ChrisM wrote:Not really ...

Live 75-85 has the same number of covers as this album (3).


No need to be insecure. Drop your obsession with a one-upmanship that you can never win, chill out and enjoy the music.

My comments are clearly in reference to the fact that there were exactly ZERO predictions a new studio release would be chock full of covers, culled from several recording locales, and include Tom Morello extensively. This all comes as a surprise to everyone, except maybe you.

And, as anyone may see, we are not speaking of live albums. This is a studio release. Surely you know the difference. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:My comments are clearly in reference to the fact that there were exactly ZERO predictions a new studio release would be chock full of covers, culled from several recording locales, and include Tom Morello extensively.


As I mentioned, the track list was leaked last week, so many fans have known for several days the album would include covers, although I would hardly call 3 out of 12 tracks "chock full". The official release of Dream Baby Dream online in October also prompted many fans to predict the upcoming album would include at least one cover. In addition, the recording of Joe Grushecky's Homestead played recently on SiriusXM also provided evidence that Springsteen has been cutting studio versions of covers in recent years and led to further prediction of a studio album including covers.

It has been known for months that Tom Morello recorded in the studio with Springsteen in Australia last March and his guitar was clearly heard throughout the lead single, which also leaked last week. The inclusion of The Ghost of Tom Joad was another clue, since it was pretty obvious this would be the reworked version that has featured Morello at several live performances in recent years.

Jake Clemons had previously confirmed that there had been subsequent recording sessions, pointing to multiple "locales".

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:30 am

ChrisM wrote:There is a very good article on Billboard about the history of each track:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5800727/bruce-springsteen-high-hopes-new-studio-album-january-14

Chris


Thanks for providing that link.

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:30 am

ChrisM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ChrisM wrote:Not really ...

Live 75-85 has the same number of covers as this album (3).


No need to be insecure. Drop your obsession with a one-upmanship that you can never win, chill out and enjoy the music.

My comments are clearly in reference to the fact that there were exactly ZERO predictions a new studio release would be chock full of covers, culled from several recording locales, and include Tom Morello extensively. This all comes as a surprise to everyone, except maybe you.

And, as anyone may see, we are not speaking of live albums. This is a studio release. Surely you know the difference. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!



As I mentioned ...


Scoot!

Re: New Springsteen release

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 pm

I just had the pleasure of hearing the album in full. It is a tremendous collection of tracks, although I miss the narrative of a traditional Springsteen album.

Candidates for best track in my mind include The Ghost of Tom Joad (with searing guitar work and shared lead vocal from Tom Morello), Harry's Place (a tale of small-time mobsters) and Heaven's Wall (which is going to sound great live).

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Yes I heard it was online today. Call me old-fashioned but I'll wait for the cd to be released :D
Looking forward to it very much though

Re: New Springsteen release

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Pink&Black wrote:Call me old-fashioned but I'll wait for the cd to be released :D


I'll be buying the CD as well, of course, but didn't see any reason to wait. I can still look forward to the bonus DVD of the Born in the USA album being performed at Hard Rock Calling in London last summer.

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:06 am

Very interesting interview with Ron Aniello (the album's producer) here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bruce-springsteen-producer-breaks-down-high-hopes-exclusive-20131230

and a track-by-track review here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/bruce-springsteen/10535527/Bruce-Springsteen-High-Hopes-track-by-track.html

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:10 am

Bob George wrote:Already to download for free through BitTorrent.

What a invention...........Internet.


Is this how you get your Kiss and Prince music, "3577"?

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Will definitely be getting this album. Tom Morello is great, I saw "Rage Against The Machine" live a good few years ago and they were sensational.

Re: New Springsteen release

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Those of you in the US can hear the whole album legally from Sunday 10pm ET at www.cbs.com/springsteen

Three songs will also be featured in the 12 Jan episode of The Good Wife.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/02/bruce-springsteen-high-hopes-the-good-wife-cbs/4265727/

Chris

Re: New Springsteen release

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:47 pm

The whole album is available to listen to here -
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... bum-stream

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57 pm

The song "High Hopes" was a massive disapppointment and arguably the worst Springsteen single to date. As for the rest of the album, I haven't listened to it yet - will do so when I have the CD in my hands. But I have low hopes. Tom Morello, unnecessary re-recordings, random songs from all over the place, no real "theme" to the album, well, it doesn't sound like a new classic to me.

Why would Sprinsteen need a Tom Morello guy? Who wants to relive the awful funk-metal trend from 1993? It's crazy. Yuck! Ditch him NOW for God's sake.

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Im currently enjoying the album very much

Re: New Springsteen release

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Can you please confirm that the funk-o-metal vibes from 1993 are kept to a minimum? :smt017

Re: New Springsteen release

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Can you please confirm that the funk-o-metal vibes from 1993 are kept to a minimum? :smt017


"funk-o-metal vibes from 1993"?

Re: New Springsteen release

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Can you please confirm that the funk-o-metal vibes from 1993 are kept to a minimum? :smt017


"funk-o-metal vibes from 1993"?

Played it in the car this norning on the way to work,i heard only Cool Springsteen tracks no funk a metal anything