Off Topic Messages

How popular is George Strait?

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm always interested to know how popular someone is among people from such a wide variety of locations.

I watched the CMA awards the other night and was rather amazed that George Strait won Entertainer of the Year after being in the business for 30 years. He won back in the late 80s also. I believe that is the longest span between that award ever.

I started thinking about his career, and he has had quite a remarkable one. He started in the early 80s, and still has hits on radio. I can't think of any other country performer who started in that era who hasn't faded. He's had more #1 songs than any other artist, and he's not a guy who plays small places. Since the 80s, he has played large arena's.

So, I know how popular he is on paper. I'm just wondering, is George Strait popular or considered a big musical name where you live, or did you have to ask, "Who's George Strait?"

phpBB [video]

Re: How popular is George Strait?

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:39 pm

The CMA gave George the entertainer of the year award since he is retiring...kind of a "default award."

George is one of the few in the music business who has consistently stayed on top over the past 30 years or so.

He spoke one time about meeting Colonel Parker and getting advice from the Colonel...which was to make movies and get more exposure.

Very well known name in the States...but not sure about how well known he is outside the U.S.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:45 pm

He's not as popular as Keith Urban.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:16 am

I don't have to ask who he is as I'm a big fan but I'm a minority in my country, however in the field of Country Music there is nobody that can match his achievements.Million selling album after million selling album,more no 1 singles in the country chart than anyone,record breaking tours
and more awards than you could shake a stick at.He's not my favourite Country artist by any stretch but he has a voice that cuts straight to the heart.He's certainly not cool and I don't normally go for his style,I'm more of an "outlaw" country fan but George is my exception.
Anyway in answer to your your question-Hugely popular in the USA,not too well known outside other than keen country fans.

norrie

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:34 am

norrie wrote:I don't have to ask who he is as I'm a big fan but I'm a minority in my country, however in the field of Country Music there is nobody that can match his achievements.Million selling album after million selling album,more no 1 singles in the country chart than anyone,record breaking tours
and more awards than you could shake a stick at.He's not my favourite Country artist by any stretch but he has a voice that cuts straight to the heart.He's certainly not cool and I don't normally go for his style,I'm more of an "outlaw" country fan but George is my exception.
Anyway in answer to your your question-Hugely popular in the USA,not too well known outside other than keen country fans.

norrie

Not cool? Hmm.

I think his success is even more amazing considering he has been rather low key his entire career. He doesn't appear on a lot of shows except the CMAs and ACMs, and he doesn't do many interviews, and he's not a member of the Opry, but as you said, nobody can match his achievements.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:24 am

George has kept his family life very stable and doesn't seem to take an interest in the celebrity side of things. As for his popularity, he's one of those country stars who is highly respected and ranks right up there with people like Dolly Parton, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Reba McIntire. George is country music royalty. Even when new, younger guys half his age make a big name for themselves, they always look up to G. S. I think he's one of the good guys.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 am

George Strait is a beloved artist in the country music genre. He continues to sell records and tickets, and you never hear a cross word spoken about him. More people should educate themselves about his artistry.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:19 am

KHoots wrote:George Strait is a beloved artist in the country music genre. He continues to sell records and tickets, and you never hear a cross word spoken about him. More people should educate themselves about his artistry.

What is his artistry?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KHoots wrote:George Strait is a beloved artist in the country music genre. He continues to sell records and tickets, and you never hear a cross word spoken about him. More people should educate themselves about his artistry.

What is his artistry?

Amarillo By Mornin' ?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:48 am

Not popular in Germany. I do not know him.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Outside of America, I would think he's only known among fans of country music. He did try his hand at acting, in the 1992 film, Pure Country, but I don't think this found wide international distribution. Considering the interest in country music during the nineties, this was a fairly apt vehicle that was made at the right time. And if Strait was going to make a bigger name for himself, this was an opportunity to do so. But I think he makes good music and has certainly achieved a tremendous amount in his career.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:35 pm

The first time i discovered George Strait was when i saw his 1992 Movie Pure Country, great movie, and great songs, i became an instant fan, and went out and bought that CD, and played it over and over for weeks, and its still my favorite CD of his, there is not one weak song on this CD, which went to # 1 and is still his biggest selling record with over 6 Million sold so far. I went out and bought up the rest of his CD's, and there is not one bad one in the bunch. He has 60 # 1 singles so far, let me say that one more time 60 # 1's, more then anyone in Country Music, and he still will add to those numbers for years to come, think about that, amazing.

As far as i am concerned, he is # 1 in Country Music today, and since the 1990's. He is the best since the good old days of the greats from the 50's 60's 70's, nobody can touch those greats, he is well deserving being called "The King Of Country Music" today, the man is awesome, and one heck of a nice guy, you never hear anything or anyone say one bad word about this man, and i think he is cool in just being himself, i have tremendous respect for him.

phpBB [video]

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:24 pm

I have many of his CD's including the box-set 'Strait Out Of The Box'. He has a great voice and some wonderful songs. My favourite tracks of his are 'The Chair' and 'All My Ex's Live In Texas'. But really all his songs are great.

Brian

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

What is his artistry?

Stop, look and listen, baby. That's mah philos-o-pheeeeeeee!!!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Never heard of him :oops: .....but then again I dont live in the US.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:21 pm

showfan wrote:I'm always interested to know how popular someone is among people from such a wide variety of locations.

I watched the CMA awards the other night and was rather amazed that George Strait won Entertainer of the Year after being in the business for 30 years. He won back in the late 80s also. I believe that is the longest span between that award ever.

I started thinking about his career, and he has had quite a remarkable one. He started in the early 80s, and still has hits on radio. I can't think of any other country performer who started in that era who hasn't faded. He's had more #1 songs than any other artist, and he's not a guy who plays small places. Since the 80s, he has played large arena's.

So, I know how popular he is on paper. I'm just wondering, is George Strait popular or considered a big musical name where you live, or did you have to ask, "Who's George Strait?"

phpBB [video]

He is basically not known in the UK, except to country fans.

I don't think a single or album has entered the UK charts, and I don't recall any tv performances, aside from glimpses on the CMA highlights shows that the BBC used to broadcast years ago.

There are many country singers who have charted and featured on tv programmes (e.g. Garth Brooks, Leaan Rimes, Shania Twain, Johnny Cash, Don Williams, Slim Whitman and Jim Reeves), but sadly, George, who is essential listening, will remain unknown in the UK.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:17 pm

I wouldn't know a single song of his, what he sounds like or what he looks like without checking.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I have never been a huge fan of Strait's, but the guy has remained relevant over the course of his career, which took off in the early 80's. Sixty(!) number one country songs later, he was named the CMA Entertainer of the Year just a few weeks ago. His Billboard chart numbers are staggering.