Off Topic Messages

Jim Dandy To The Rescue.Thanks Elvis !

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:51 am

Apparently Black Oak Arkansas the famed Southern Rock group would not have even thought of recording their biggest hit Jim Dandy To The Rescue a cover of the seminal R&B recording by LaVern Baker if not for Elvis-even though their lead singer was called Jim Dandy.
Here is the story published in the current Classic Rock magazine.
....It was no less a figure than Elvis Presley who suggested Black Oak Arkansas record what became their signature tune.Their version of Jim Dandy To The Rescue (initially an R&B success for LaVern Baker in 1957) featuring a stream of innuendo traded between the singer and guest vocalist Ruby Starr,gave the band a Billboard top 30 hit in 1973.
"George Klein was a disc jockey back on an AM radio station over in Memphis" Reynolds says ( note:guitarist and founder member) "He was a big friend of ours and had grown up with Elvis.He told us he wanted to speak to us.So Elvis calls us up and says "There's a song back in the fifties called Jim Dandy To The Rescue.Y'all have a Jim Dandy in the band,so how come you're not doing this song ? At the time,Jim had never heard of it.But Elvis told us to go ahead.And it became the biggest hit we ever had."

(transcribed word for word from article except my additional note in brackets)

Not a surprise that Elvis knew the original version,George Klein probably made Elvis aware of the band.

Here are both versions.I hope this post was of some interest to you guys.
I've put it here in off topic but if it deserves a bigger audience the mods can move it to all elvis.

phpBB [video]

[youtube][/youtube]

phpBB [video]

norrie

Re: Jim Dandy To The Rescue.Thanks Elvis !

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:03 am

Hmmm i never knew of this before, it's a nice little ditty by both, thanks for the post norrie. :smt023

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 am

SUN-RCA wrote:Hmmm i never knew of this before, it's a nice little ditty by both, thanks for the post norrie. :smt023

Thanks,it was new to me as well.Not often we hear of Elvis getting directly involved with other artists output.

norie

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Great work norrie!!

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:37 am

Joe Car wrote:Great work norrie!!

Thanks Joe.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:28 am

norrie wrote:Apparently Black Oak Arkansas the famed Southern Rock group would not have even thought of recording their biggest hit Jim Dandy To The Rescue a cover of the seminal R&B recording by LaVern Baker if not for Elvis-even though their lead singer was called Jim Dandy.
Here is the story published in the current Classic Rock magazine.
....It was no less a figure than Elvis Presley who suggested Black Oak Arkansas record what became their signature tune.Their version of Jim Dandy To The Rescue (initially an R&B success for LaVern Baker in 1957) featuring a stream of innuendo traded between the singer and guest vocalist Ruby Starr,gave the band a Billboard top 30 hit in 1973.
"George Klein was a disc jockey back on an AM radio station over in Memphis" Reynolds says ( note:guitarist and founder member) "He was a big friend of ours and had grown up with Elvis.He told us he wanted to speak to us.So Elvis calls us up and says "There's a song back in the fifties called Jim Dandy To The Rescue.Y'all have a Jim Dandy in the band,so how come you're not doing this song ? At the time,Jim had never heard of it.But Elvis told us to go ahead.And it became the biggest hit we ever had."

(transcribed word for word from article except my additional note in brackets)

Not a surprise that Elvis knew the original version,George Klein probably made Elvis aware of the band.

Thanks for the post, norrie. Interesting story.

Of course, Elvis was a big fan of those wonderful artists on Atlantic Records, and he covered a lot of songs originally done by the likes of Ray Charles, Joe Turner, LaVern Baker, Clyde McPhatter / Drifters, Coasters, Clovers...

He think he must have been very fond of LaVern, since he recorded many songs that had been done earlier by her : "Tweedlee Dee", "Saved", "See See Rider", "Shake A Hand" (original by Faye Adams) and "You're The Boss". She also did Lonnie Johnson's "Tomorrow Night", but Elvis' version precedes LaVern's by one month (September / October 1954).

Thanks again.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:13 am

Cheers Mister Moon and yes Elvis clearly held LaVern's music in high esteem.

norrie

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks Norrie,interesting reading and videos

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:53 am

Very interesting topic.

Bonus track:
phpBB [video]

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:28 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:Very interesting topic.

Bonus track:
phpBB [video]

Thanks a lot. Never heard of this one !

Groovy !!!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:46 am

Mister Moon wrote: Thanks a lot. Never heard of this one !

Groovy !!!

Glad you like it. Just to finish off, here's Lavern doing some impressive and expressive lip syncing, about the further adventures of Jim Dandy.

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
Mister Moon wrote: Thanks a lot. Never heard of this one !

Groovy !!!

Glad you like it. Just to finish off, here's Lavern doing some impressive and expressive lip syncing, about the further adventures of Jim Dandy.

phpBB [video]

Nice clip ! Thanks for posting it.

I don't like "Jim Dandy Got Married" half as much as I like "Jim Dandy". But it was probably this disc where Buddy Holly got the idea from to write "Peggy Sue Got Married", so that makes me like it more than I normally would have !

Thanks again.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:15 am

Mister Moon wrote: I don't like "Jim Dandy Got Married" half as much as I like "Jim Dandy". But it was probably this disc where Buddy Holly got the idea from to write "Peggy Sue Got Married", so that makes me like it more than I normally would have !

I never thought of that, but you could be right !

There must a threads worth of this kind of stuff (similar follow-ups).

For example, by the great Wilbert Harrison, Kansas City written by Leiber & Stoller.

I actually prefer the follow-up Goodbye Kansas City, I love how he says '..going to the AAApollo..'.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:47 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
Mister Moon wrote: I don't like "Jim Dandy Got Married" half as much as I like "Jim Dandy". But it was probably this disc where Buddy Holly got the idea from to write "Peggy Sue Got Married", so that makes me like it more than I normally would have !

I never thought of that, but you could be right !

There must a threads worth of this kind of stuff (similar follow-ups).

For example, by the great Wilbert Harrison, Kansas City written by Leiber & Stoller.

I actually prefer the follow-up Goodbye Kansas City, I love how he says '..going to the AAApollo..'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbcY0qtJ1iY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBsKYtlDQo8

Thanks for the post.

I didn't know this follow-up. I think I prefer "Kansas City", though ! :wink:

On the subject of follow-up records, here's the thread I started about the "Annie" saga, which you may have missed the first time around:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=78314

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:39 am

Mister Moon wrote:On the subject of follow-up records, here's the thread I started about the "Annie" saga, which you may have missed the first time around:

Thanks, I did miss that first time around. Interesting stuff for sure.

I guess you know that the reason 'Work with me Annie' was banned by some radio stations, was because of the lewd connotations of the word 'work'.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:08 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:On the subject of follow-up records, here's the thread I started about the "Annie" saga, which you may have missed the first time around:

Thanks, I did miss that first time around. Interesting stuff for sure.

I guess you know that the reason 'Work with me Annie' was banned by some radio stations, was because of the lewd connotations of the word 'work'.

Sure, that's why I called the thread "Dirty, Dirty Platters !!" :wink:

There must be some other records to add, I'm sure. But just the three 1954 Midnighters "Annie" releases are worth a million. Prime rockin' rhythm and blues. Well, let's call it rock and roll, OK ?

Thanks !

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:27 am

Mister Moon wrote:Prime rockin' rhythm and blues. Well, let's call it rock and roll, OK ?

I'm with you on this one buddy. It's all rock 'n' roll to me.

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks !

My pleasure, and thank you too !

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:08 am

Great stuff Mike and MisterMoon.Thanks