Off Topic Messages

Re: A Guy's Point of View

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:04 pm

This girl's perspective -- it is really all about the voice. Everything else is secondary, I can see he's good looking but that is not and was not the appeal. It's pretty much always about the voice for me with any artist / group.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

First and foremost is the music. His charisma and style is like a magnet. He hooked me in 1972 with the Garden album and has been my favorite entertainer since. There are many others that I enjoy as well, but Elvis is the one I keep coming back to. It doesn't hurt that he had the looks that go with it.

He was the complete package.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:34 pm

When I discovered music, I had no idea what the singers or bandmembers looked like. You "fell" for the music.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Interesting topic.
I'd like to chime in here and say that not all woman are into Elvis just because of how he looks. I'm not denying that he was extremely attractive and very pleasing on the eye, but for me it has always been about the music and always will be. I really couldn't care less what he looked like.

I was very young when I first got into Elvis and it was through watching his movies with family and at that age I had no understanding of what attractiveness and sex appeal meant. Kids that age just don't see men/woman like that. But there was something strong enough to hold my attention for 90 minutes and to want to keep watching his movies over and over again.
To me at such a young age, Elvis' characters were just so cool and his movies made me laugh, but I loved the music. I liked to hear him sing in these films. Most of his movie soundtracks may not be up to par with some people, but to me as a little girl, they were catchy songs and it's because of hearing them that got me into his other material.

So from this woman's point of view, the way he looks means absolutely nothing. It's his voice that is his true beauty in my eyes.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Honky Tonk Angel wrote:Interesting topic.
I'd like to chime in here and say that not all woman are into Elvis just because of how he looks. I'm not denying that he was extremely attractive and very pleasing on the eye, but for me it has always been about the music and always will be. I really couldn't care less what he looked like.

I was very young when I first got into Elvis and it was through watching his movies with family and at that age I had no understanding of what attractiveness and sex appeal meant. Kids that age just don't see men/woman like that. But there was something strong enough to hold my attention for 90 minutes and to want to keep watching his movies over and over again.
To me at such a young age, Elvis' characters were just so cool and his movies made me laugh, but I loved the music. I liked to hear him sing in these films. Most of his movie soundtracks may not be up to par with some people, but to me as a little girl, they were catchy songs and it's because of hearing them that got me into his other material.

So from this woman's point of view, the way he looks means absolutely nothing. It's his voice that is his true beauty in my eyes.

Beautiful post, Honky Tonk Angel !

I was also introduced to Elvis through his 60s movies being shown on TV, when I was a little boy. Honestly, I can't stand most of them right now, but I found them very entertaining then, filled with "catchy songs", as you say, and good-looking girls, too. Curiously, it was not until a little bit later, when my interest in Elvis grew, that I got to see his 50s movies. I remember seeing "Jailhouse Rock" for the very first time, when it was broadcast totally unnanounced on TV, as a replacement for a tennis match that was suspended. It really, really blew my mind. And, hey, there were many different versions of some of the songs in it, too !
Last edited by Mister Moon on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:07 am

I have always wondered about this too, thank you, 2kd, for asking the question.

(Although with me, being a little girl when I first saw Elvis, I noticed him as a human being, and sensed things about him, as of course that is what children are all about).

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:10 am

2kd wrote:What was it that first caught your eye?

Three things......not my eyes, but my ears.......

1) Music
2) Music
3) Music

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
I remember seeing "Jailhouse Rock" for the very first time, when it was broadcast totally unnanounced on TV, as a replacement for a tennis match that was suspended.

LOL, Yes, thank God for the roof at Wimbledon these days. Although I'd take a showing of Jailhouse Rock over them showing the McEnroe/Borg tie break for the millionth time on rain delays :lol:

2kd wrote:
Oh the movies! Yes indeed. Very entertaining for kids and the songs were awesome. Not so much now though. When I first joined the forum I said this, but it bears repeating.

I may been in the small minority of fans that still enjoy listening to his soundtracks. True they might not be "awesome" but I still like them. They are fun and lighthearted and they bring back some happy memories and feelings for me. I guess they served their purpose and got me interested in wanting to explore more of his music.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Just the thought of Elvis singing "Teddy Bear" to me makes me moist.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:30 pm

I think he is just the King of Cool. When I was about 4 or 5 I already saw that on the album covers owned by my parents, although I had no clue what cool was back then. Later in life that kept me always interested in him. And when I did buy my first cd that did it for me.... That voice........there is no way to describe the feeling that that voice sends through your body. Even when listening to Starting Today for the millionth time, it still sends shivers down my spine!

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:17 am

Rob wrote:Just the thought of Elvis singing "Teddy Bear" to me makes me moist.

LOL, notice that the ladies listened to you and stopped sending you those "darn text messages" lol :D

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 am

It's hard to say that anyone can completely separate out the various facets of what Elvis represented, be you male or female. And be you male or female, his presentation of sexuality is IN the music, so that's kind of a tough one.

The first music I "really" heard: meaning a record I bought, was the '68 TV Special. And I think, even being female, that I heard it similarly to many, if not most men. And that would include the music radiating a powerful sexuality. I would think most males would identify with it, and most females would, well, enjoy it. But it's inextricable from much of the best music.

So many men have spoken of the attraction of both his sexuality and physical appearance. That is a fact. (Jerry Reed may have said it best: or more plainly. And he was the "Alabama Wild Man," of course.)

I can't speak for you guys, but I can hear the music, and it has a physicality to it that you can't erase.

rjm

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am

The music had my attention from a very young age

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:55 am

2kd wrote:

Obviously the answers to my original question are as varied and unique as each one of us is. From my childhood memories of Elvis, I noticed his voice and how beautiful he was. As I got older I loved watching his movies, King Creole was my favorite. Then when I grew up I could totally appreciate his sex appeal and charisma.

I love to see beauty, something that I look for in our surroundings; in the minute little finch that balances on my fencing; the bird with the too long a neck that accompanies my horses, while eating bugs from their rumps; the marsupial caught in the headlights as I have drive up the driveway at a crawl, because they will run across or into the car; the wise old owl hooting his gorgeous head off at the in the same place at the exact time of year; the snake guarding the hay; the frogs in the drains, who sound like Muhammad Ali and when you find them, they are as big as your thumb nail, they make a sound as if they are being sick, it is confusing and hilarious as someone is being sick outside your window and there isn't anyone there (lol), it is another species of frog. The moon, the other night, that looked like a huge segment of an orange. They are one kind of beauty, to me.

In people, beauty for me, comes from inside, if it isn't inside, I just can't see it.

Elvis, to me, had the masculinity in spades that is attractive, plus he had beauty, coming from within. That is probably the charisma, that is why he is said to be more beautiful in person, an enigma, perhaps because a photo can't, 100%, pick up a feeling. Wish I could have met him.

He could be eyes on legs and I'd still find him beautiful, but he could still drag the rest of him around too, I guess, lol
b
:D

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:58 am

2kd wrote:One of the other things that I love about him is his clothes. He created his own style, not really following anyone else. This too is another one of those subjects that maybe someone else could elaborate on. His style, what formed his ideas of style. I know that he shopped in a store that typically (back then at least) was only for African Americans.

Elvis did dress extremely well, and set the bar high, dressing as he wanted to, and was masculine with it, as well. He carried it off, as it was his style.

I noticed in a photo in a another thread, that Elvis was wearing a striped jacket and also wearing a striped shirt, with thinner stripes, and it all came together so well.

Also, nothing like some bling when he entertained, lol :D

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:10 am

We feel the same way reading your posts ;)

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:38 pm

You say the sweetest things.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Rob, maybe it's time to get some Super Beta Prostate. Hey, it helped Joe Theisman with his bladder control problem.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Pete Dube wrote:

Rob, maybe it's time to get some Super Beta Prostate. Hey, it helped Joe Theisman with his bladder control problem.

:lol:

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:37 pm

What do i think of Elvis, i think he was and still is the Greatest Entertainer the World has ever known, he is the Complete Package, talent, looks, Charisma,kind, generous, Religious, and i have alot of respect and love for the man. As for his sexuality, i can see what women see, there is no question in his sex appeal for woman.

As for what first caught my eye about Elvis, i would have to say his music, and then his looks, to me as a child i just thought he was cool looking, also because my Dad had the same black hair and style as Elvis, that i always marveled at, and emulated when i was a teen, and still do, blue black baby, looks very cool in the sunlight, no i am not an ETA. :smt034 :wink:

As a child i was raised on Elvis by both my parents, they are big fans, mostly my Mom, there was Elvis music being played frequently in my house, and whenever an Elvis Movie was on TV, we all watched as a family. I can remember when my sisters would play Elvis Records in their room, and they would play Hound Dog alot for me, and they both would giggle as i danced around the room and shaking my big mop of black hair up and down and around and round. :lol:

But my most vivid memories of Elvis was when my parents brought us all to see Elvis in Concert at The Boston Garden on 11/10/71, talk about an Elvis experience for a 10 year old kid, man o man what an eye opener, we had 5th row center seats, this is a day that has stayed with me ever since, and started a 40 year avid obsession of collecting Elvis Vinyl Records, and then dawn of the first Elvis CD's came, and started another avid obsession of collecting. :smt023

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:44 pm

You guys make some pretty fascinating and funny observations here. I was hoping that even though I'm not a [guy] I could still share my opinion. There's a lot to be said of Elvis. He's mesmerizing, complex, a walking contradiction. Unequaled. The thing that I first noticed about him was his loveliness in personality, looks. Everything about him was lovely.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm

This could be the very first image I saw from our man:

cover_bss_tf.jpg

That said, at first I fell for his voice. But then seeing moving images of him, I was spellbound. Gosh, that charisma! And his infectious grinning. My boy, my boy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.