Off Topic Messages

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:19 am

Last edited by SUN-RCA on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: New "EVEL KNIEVEL" Tonight and Tomorrow.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:56 am

Great stuff from another one of my child hood heroes. Here is Evel's copy of the Joe Esposito book that Evel gave to me. Joe signed it for Evel and Evel also signed one of his business cards for me.

[url][URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/Guitarman71/media/KNIEVELBOOK3_zps6bdb927d.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/Guitarman71/media/KNIEVELBOOK1_zpsf37d2074.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[urlImage][/url]

Re: New "EVEL KNIEVEL" Tonight and Tomorrow.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Great stuff from another one of my child hood heroes. Here is Evel's copy of the Joe Esposito book that Evel gave to me. Joe signed it for Evel and Evel also signed one of his business cards for me.

[url][URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/Guitarman71/media/KNIEVELBOOK3_zps6bdb927d.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/Guitarman71/media/KNIEVELBOOK1_zpsf37d2074.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[urlImage][/url]

Very Cool Fairchild, Man you really met the King of the Dare Devils, that must have been so exciting, i wish i could have met him. Evel is our Hero at the Bike Club i belong to, and i mean he is our #1 when it comes to riding Motorcycles and Jumping with our Dirt Bikes. We don't do any of the insane Jumps he did, just small stuff off road on dirt mounds and small hills. 8)

Re: New "EVEL KNIEVEL" ~ "PURE EVEL"

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 am

Where and when did you meet him?

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 pm

Watched this special the other morning. It was pretty good but much too short. They skipped over a lot of stuff. The unseen footage was cool though

I got to sit in the X-2 Skycycle in 1976 when it and Evel Knievel's other vehicles were on the auto show circuit. They let you sit in it for a picture! I have the pictures but I have to dig them up.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:13 pm

eligain wrote:I got to sit in the X-2 Skycycle in 1976 when it and Evel Knievel's other vehicles were on the auto show circuit. They let you sit in it for a picture! I have the pictures but I have to dig them up.

WHOA!! That's cool....please do find those pics and post them.

I believe the cycle is now in the Harley-Davidson museum in Milwaukee. With as many times as I've been through that city, I never knew the cycle (and his jumpsuit) were housed there. Next time through there, I must visit that.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:57 pm

several years ago, there was a really good documentary which i believe was available on DVD, which showed footage from all of Evel's jumps. Footage included the shark tank jump (Evel's last jump). Title of the video is LAST OF THE GLADIATORS and is narrated by Evel himself.
I saw PURE EVEL and thought it paled in comparison to the other video.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:55 pm

elvisbot wrote:several years ago, there was a really good documentary which i believe was available on DVD, which showed footage from all of Evel's jumps. Footage included the shark tank jump (Evel's last jump). Title of the video is LAST OF THE GLADIATORS and is narrated by Evel himself.
I saw PURE EVEL and thought it paled in comparison to the other video.

I have that one also, and its great, and your right the New "Pure Evel" pales very much compared to these and others done before, i will hold back my reviews of this new one, so others can watch it first.

I have this 1987 Video, and its awesome, and i have watched it many many times. 8)

Official Evel Knievel Website - :arrow: http://evelknievel.com/ 8)

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:38 am

As a kid, Evel was my idol before I liked Elvis. I had Evel posters, Evel books and an Evel plastic model. I even had 2 small bottles of Wild Turkey Whiskey on either side of the model! We used to build ramps and jump our Stingrays. My Dad made me a gold topped cane! I even had a Estes Rocket X-2 Skycycle. I built small working Skycycle out of a skinny champagne bottle. I would fill it with water, load it with dry ice put the cork in the bottom and place it on a 45 degree ramp and it would sail about 100 ft!

When I have time, I'll have to look for those pictures of the me sitting in the Skycycle.

I never got to read "Evel On Tour" book. I'd like to read it but it sells for like $350 on Amazon!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 pm

I picked up the On Tour book several years ago at a second hand store for about a buck. It didn't paint a terribly flattering picture but it wasn't as bad as Evel made it out to be. One of the more memorable passages was when he got drunk and insisted that they start calling him Evel Kowalski. And Saltman never said that Evel said he hated his mother. The ironic thing is that in the ensuing years Evel himself stated he wanted nothing to do with her and could understand why his dad didn't say anything nice about her. I don't think it was necessarily the content that made him mad but that anything negative was said about him at all. It certainly stripped off the clean image. And as you found out later, he was womanizing drunk who slapped his kids around and was arrested for assault and battery on at least 2 women (one of them a hooker).

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:29 pm

johngael wrote:I picked up the On Tour book several years ago at a second hand store for about a buck. It didn't paint a terribly flattering picture but it wasn't as bad as Evel made it out to be. One of the more memorable passages was when he got drunk and insisted that they start calling him Evel Kowalski. And Saltman never said that Evel said he hated his mother. The ironic thing is that in the ensuing years Evel himself stated he wanted nothing to do with her and could understand why his dad didn't say anything nice about her. I don't think it was necessarily the content that made him mad but that anything negative was said about him at all. It certainly stripped off the clean image. And as you found out later, he was womanizing drunk who slapped his kids around and was arrested for assault and battery on at least 2 women (one of them a hooker).

Yeah, I read the book about Evel that came out in around 2011 and it talked about how sensitive Evel was to anything written about him that was even a little negative. I always assumed Saltman did a real hatchet job on him but it seems that although he didn't glorify Evel, he just told the truth of what he saw. What drugs does it say that Evel was taking? Narcotic pain pills I assume?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Found this, Evel Knievel TV show pilot!:

phpBB [video]

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:51 am

Yes, the drugs mentioned were narcotic pain pills. But again, Saltman merely mentioned that Evel took them. He in no way said or implied that he abused them. Let's face it- the man had to have been in serious pain. But the mention that he took them drove Knievel nuts.

It was an interesting book to say the least but nothing compared to EWH. Not even close.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:56 am

Evel was a very kind soul and had mellowed out quite a bit when I met him. I used to own every toy put out by the ideal company.. but sold the whole collection about 6 years ago to invest in my Elvis collection. I have an original poster to his last jump, the infamous shark jump...although it was his last jump of the 70's, he did in fact jump one more time in 1982 with his son Robbie in Florida.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 am

johngael wrote:Yes, the drugs mentioned were narcotic pain pills. But again, Saltman merely mentioned that Evel took them. He in no way said or implied that he abused them. Let's face it- the man had to have been in serious pain. But the mention that he took them drove Knievel nuts.

It was an interesting book to say the least but nothing compared to EWH. Not even close.

Evel used to say he never took a narcotic and would often talk about chewing on aspirin but if anyone didn't need an excuse to take a real pain pill, it was Evel.