Off Topic Messages

Re: Proper Care of Vinyl

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm

ritchie valens wrote:A cd stand alone burner hooked to the receiver is best.A computer burner sounds like a transistor radio when played back.Where can u find one mine is worn out?

No it doesn't.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 pm

I like a stand alone better than a computer one.Every program to transfer vinyl to computer from a usb turntable sucks.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 am

ritchie valens wrote:I like a stand alone better than a computer one.Every program to transfer vinyl to computer from a usb turntable sucks.

I have a stand alone burner - I've had it for 10 years, still works fine, but the discs for it are getting harder to find. Can't use a standard cdr, has to be a "music cdr".

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 am

ritchie valens wrote:I like a stand alone better than a computer one.Every program to transfer vinyl to computer from a usb turntable sucks.

You don't really need a usb-turntable to transfer your vinyl. Buy a mini-jack to rca cable, download Audacity which is free and you're set.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:31 am

KevinK wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:Here's one way to preserve your vinyl and still enjoy the music....might cost you a pretty penny though....the ELP Laser Turntable would set you back around $ 10K (US)

Waaait a minute.. if I can't see the record being played, I don't wanna know about it. That's part of the vinyl experience if you ask me..

Mine was kind of like the one in this video, but you could not see the mechanism by which the record played at all. And sometimes, the record would hit the top when you put it in, and it was scary. But convenient in a stackable set-up. Didn't care for it, but I guess it was ahead if it's time. (This was not the one. It was all metallic on the outside, and square. Very "modern"-looking.)

phpBB [video]

Mine looked almost exactly like THIS:

image.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 am

Robin, the big difference is the ELP laser turntable uses lasers to read the information on the vinyl grooves, hence the vinyl remains physically untouched when played, as opposed to the Sony model you had, which uses the traditional stylus needle and in turn.... wears away the vinyl grooves.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 am

I knew that. ;) (Well, I do. Now. Back in the 80s, I liked the mystery of it, I must confess. You put the record inside, and the music came out! LOL! )

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:10 am

I have never heard the laser turntable, but those who have weren't that impressed, iirc. There were a few issues:

It only played black vinyl
The record needed to be squeaky clean as laser is much more sensitive than a normal cartridge and the clicks and pops would become unbearable
It could only be serviced in Japan

One good thing is that it was able to play worn-out/damaged records that would be unplayable on a normal turntable, so it would be perfect for archiving.

Look at this Swedish video. It look cool and I wish that they would have improved the technology over the years.

phpBB [video]